Sensual Photo shoot

12 years 6 months ago #145210 by Ant1023
My friend asked me to take sensual photos of her and I agreed. What would you recommend I do? What do I need? I am buying my flash on Friday SB400. What else do you think? She wants to shoot in her room and it will be midday?

Aparture and shutterspeed, ISO?

I have an idea in my head, I just need some experienced help

Thanks so much

12 years 6 months ago #145214 by MLKstudios
Don't use that flash. It doesn't aim.

Instead use window light and a reflector (anything white).

HTH

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #145385 by The tado

MLKstudios wrote: Don't use that flash. It doesn't aim.

HTH

What do you mean by..."It doesn't aim"?

Why are there flashes? if people don't use them for portraits?

12 years 6 months ago #145387 by Carmin
window light and reflector may not give you enough light, to the point the shutter speed may be too low. So include some extra light...flash, buy a light from a hardware store and place it on a stand (this is if you don't want to go out and buy actual studio lights). If you know how to use the flash, don't be afraid to use it. If you only use window light, you may need to use a tripod, as your shutter speed may be too low to hand held shots. Choose Aperture mode. ISO will depend on the light in the room. I say around 400, but you may have to up it to keep that shutter speed high enough to not cause blur in the photos.

12 years 6 months ago #145419 by robbie

The tado wrote:

HTH

She wants 'sensual' portraits,flash mounted on a camera isn`t ideal for that.'It doesn`t aim'..you cannot
control the spread of the light...a reflector will put the light exactly where you need it.
Window light gives more pleasing skin tones where as flash is harsh unless you can control it.
Needless to say portrait work is best to use a tripod.

12 years 6 months ago #145434 by MeganPearson
Just a suggestion for you, If you are able, I'd go with the SB700, it's not that big of a price difference, but you can do so much more with it.:)

12 years 6 months ago #145435 by Shadowfixer1

The tado wrote:

HTH

It doesn't aim, means that the SB-400 flash head is fixed. It does not articulate so you can't adjust the head to bounce off the ceiling, walls or other nearby objects. This means you will have direct front flash and that is not the most pleasing light for this type of work. The suggestion about using window light is dead on if you are shooting in daylight hours. A tripod and a reflector would work well here. The only way the SB-400 would work well is if you use it off camera and then modify the light from it by bouncing or diffusing.
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #145491 by MLKstudios
Shadow answered it well, though I think the 400 tilts upwards, it doesn't allow you to "aim" it like the 600 or higher.

I thought too about off camera with an umbrella, but that was another can of worms to open. Danger, Will Robinson!

There is NOTHING wrong with using natural light. Many of the great portraits in oil were painted using window light.

When you get to where you can SEE how natural light creates light and shadows on the subject, you can then re-create that look with artificial light, using flash and strobes.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #145519 by Shadowfixer1
My mistake. The SB-400 does tilt up in increments to 90 degrees so it's still fairly limited. I prefer the window light and reflectors for this type of shoot. Widow light is so nice and soft. Sensual you might say.
12 years 6 months ago #145664 by Joves

Shadowfixer1 wrote: My mistake. The SB-400 does tilt up in increments to 90 degrees so it's still fairly limited. I prefer the window light and reflectors for this type of shoot. Widow light is so nice and soft. Sensual you might say.

:agree:
With you and Matthew as well. Nothing says sensual like natural lighting. If the place has blinds you can tilt them to manipulate the light as well.

12 years 6 months ago #146506 by Ant1023
Thanks so much for your help. I cannot wait for this shoot! Decided against the SB400 then. I will post photos when im done.

12 years 6 months ago #146539 by Robynaudrey
I am looking forward to seeing the results.

12 years 6 months ago #146604 by KCook
Then this is not sensual?

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #146638 by MLKstudios
No Kelly,

That's "irresistible".

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 6 months ago #146639 by McBeth Photography

MLKstudios wrote: No Kelly,

That's "irresistible".

:)

Robert Palmer, right?

It is what it is.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024