best software for a beginner photogrphaer

12 years 6 months ago #156514 by Zezzer
I'm wondering what is the best software to use for a beginner? I know photoshop is often used, but from what I heard it's not for a beginner, so please don't mention it. I'm looking for easy to use software. I just want to do some simple editing.

12 years 6 months ago #156516 by HyperJ
I used Gimp. It's so easy, my 8yr old nephew uses it too. lol

12 years 6 months ago #156536 by West Coast
Well lets look at it this way..the best software was/is Photoshop. Then lightroom came along and they both are on the same level of "best software" but all depends what you use it for.

Now I know these are not softwares for a beginner...although anyone could use lightroom. It's not hard to learn.

Adobe Elements is a good beginner software for simple to a little more involve editing. It's also much cheaper then photoshop.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #156572 by KCook
If you are running Windows and shooting JPG, then Faststone, Picasa, and Windows Live Photo Gallery are all free downloads. All very easy to learn. May as well try them all -

www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

picasa.google.com/

explore.live.com/windows-live-photo-gallery

Dunno what is available for Apple or Linux.

If you are shooting RAW, then I would strongly suggest that you stick to the software supplied with your camera. RAW can be funny that way. JPG processing is actually simpler.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #156586 by Zezzer

HyperJ wrote: I used Gimp. It's so easy, my 8yr old nephew uses it too. lol

Well, if a kid can use it, then I should be able too....maybe. lol

12 years 6 months ago #156589 by Zezzer

West Coast wrote: Well lets look at it this way..the best software was/is Photoshop. Then lightroom came along and they both are on the same level of "best software" but all depends what you use it for.

Now I know these are not softwares for a beginner...although anyone could use lightroom. It's not hard to learn.

Adobe Elements is a good beginner software for simple to a little more involve editing. It's also much cheaper then photoshop.

Thanks, I was looking into Elements, but I'm not sure. It may not be simple enough for me.

12 years 6 months ago #156593 by Zezzer

KCook wrote: If you are running Windows and shooting JPG, then Faststone, Picasa, and Windows Live Photo Gallery are all free downloads. All very easy to learn. May as well try them all -

www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

picasa.google.com/

explore.live.com/windows-live-photo-gallery

Dunno what is available for Apple or Linux.

If you are shooting RAW, then I would strongly suggest that you stick to the software supplied with your camera. RAW can be funny that way. JPG processing is actually simpler.

Kelly Cook

I use Windows and shoot jpeg. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

12 years 6 months ago #156650 by TheNissanMan
GIMP is basically freeware Photoshop in reality, it is a package that is complicated as you want to make it or as advanced.

It's a great tool and a good starting place because as your confidence grows in the package you won't need to change and learn how to do things all over again.

I've used GIMP/Lightroom and Photoshop and have settled on PS as it is pretty intuitive for the basics (which is all I know how to do with it. I know there is an awful lot more that it can do but for now I am happy knowing that I can do what I need, it will play with my RAW files and as I learn I know I can expand my knowledge without having to start from scratch with a new system.

12 years 6 months ago #156697 by rob vorderman
Irfanview is free and you alwys can use the software that came with your camera.

Rob.

12 years 6 months ago #156785 by wolverine
If you want a free software try Paint.net from www.getpaint.net

www.wolverinedata.com
Handheld Scanners, Film Converters & Digital Camera Backup Devices
PT Special 20% OFF
Coupon Code PTWOLVERINE

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #156798 by Shadowfixer1
I suggest going with elements. It will do as much or as little as you need and you will be comfortable with the industry standard in case you want to go further.
12 years 6 months ago #156803 by Scotty

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I suggest going with elements. It will as much or as little as you need and you will be comfortable with the industry standard in case you want to go further.

I suggest elements, lightroom, or aperture.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156806 by chakkaradeep
If you are looking simple post-processing editing, organizing your photos, managing your photos then go for Adobe Lightroom - works well with both Windows and Apple - IMHO Adobe Lightroom has more options than what you might get with other softwares.

Cheers,
Chaks

12 years 6 months ago #156830 by Henry Peach
You can download trial versions and see what you think before you pay. I use Photoshop, but would recommend Lightroom or GIMP to anyone who doesn't want to spend that much.
12 years 6 months ago #156841 by Vicki Brazil
For a beginner (like me) I downloaded Picaso. It's free and you can google it and find the site to download it. It's a good program and makes my pictures look awesome.

I invested in Photoshop elements 9. It's tough. I've learned a few tricks because it comes with a "help" button and I push it all the time! LOL!!! Their's also a lot of free web sites to help you with photoshop.
I've had lot's of advise given to me about what program to use. Everyone is different. A lot of my friend's have strongly stressed to stick it out with photoshop and just keep pressing myself to learn. They tell me that if I ever catch on to it and learn...it's the best. But I"ll be honest....I don't have time or patience.
The only time that I can spend concentrating on it is on weekends and I forget everything I learned by the time I get back on the program again.

For something simple, quick, and really good....go with Picaso. Maybe in time...invest in Photoshop.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024