Does aperture really matter when you are taking landscape photo

12 years 5 months ago #166801 by MYoung
New person question. So I'm learning how to take photos with my new camera. When taking a landscape photo I've noticed that regardless if my aperture is wide open or closed down there is no change in DOF. The one thing I have noticed is my shutter speed will change.

What aperture do you use when doing landscape photos? Is there a golden rule to follow?

:P

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #166810 by John Landolfi
DoF is not an issue when everything in your frame is 50+feet away. Even wide open with a fast lens, your autofocus will be at infinity, and evrithing will seem equally in focus. But if you include something in the foreground, say, 30 feet away, then whether it will be in focus as well may depend on your choice of aperture. If you understand Hyperfocal Distance, then you can be really precise with your choice pf aperture by using Manualk Focus mode.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #166819 by chasrich
The aperture also determines just how much light you allow in. The camera or you will adjust to compensate and give a good exposure. It is the same effect you will experience when changing the ISO. A 1 f-Stop change in aperture needs a 1f-Stop change in either ISO or shutter speed. Comprend'e ?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #166837 by VT Hiker
Generally, John is right. Because focusing distance also affects DOF, if you focus at 3 feet and you're set at f/2.8, the distant stuff will be out; conversely, if you're focused at 30 feet with 2.8, the stuff right in front of you will be at least a little blurry.

Ultimately, it's still a good idea to shoot at f/8 or 10 if you are focused at a moderate distance and want everything sharp.

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #167076 by Henry Peach

MYoung wrote: When taking a landscape photo I've noticed that regardless if my aperture is wide open or closed down there is no change in DOF.

As the others have mentioned there is more influencing DOF than just aperture. Focusing distance is a big one. Here's an online DOF calculator where you can input things like camera format (your is APS-C), lens focal length ,focusing distance, aperture, etc..., and it will tell you about the DOF created by those settings.

www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
12 years 5 months ago #167095 by Rob pix4u2
in general if I want everything in focus from foreground to infinity I will use f 16 or f 22 as the aforementioned Hyperfocal distance would dictate

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #167742 by Stealthy Ninja
Good answers and I think you'd better learn to integrate some foreground elements to give your landscape interest, especially when doing WA shots. I'm thinking that if you're not noticing a difference then your landscapes are perhaps a little too 2 dimentional.
12 years 5 months ago #167792 by shutter bug
Wow, I just learn so much reading this thread and it wasn't even my question. Thanks everyone. I love this site!

12 years 5 months ago #168192 by b4d93r
I agree. I'm currently working on landscape myself and this has been a great thread. Stuff I haven't even thought about.

Fuji FinePix S5100 \ Olympus SP-565UZ \ Nikon D100
UV/CP Filters
Collapsible lens shade

It ain't much but it keeps me happy!

12 years 5 months ago #168244 by Baydream
:agree: about the aperture. As long as the available light will support a fast enough shutter speed to get a sharp image, close 'er down.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024