Wedding shoot coming up?

12 years 4 months ago #175749 by S18c34
I have a wedding to shoot in June of 2012-- it will be inside. could someone please give me suggestions on things that I will need to purchase first?? I am new to wedding photography. Thank-you so much!

12 years 4 months ago #175752 by acordeiro
What's your current gear?

12 years 4 months ago #175753 by Armon Photos
You may want to consider working as an assistant wedding photographer to learn the craft, perfect your pictures and gather the materials you need to be a wedding photographer successfully..

12 years 4 months ago #175758 by Kiss a Frog
Check out this site for gear for wedding photography
photo.net/learn/wedding/equipment

12 years 4 months ago #175759 by S18c34

acordeiro wrote: What's your current gear?

Nikon D60 18-55 55-200. that's all I have

12 years 4 months ago #175815 by Rob pix4u2
You will need a spare body in case of primary body failure/problems, Faster lenses unless you have F 2.8 lenses already, 2 external flash units ( SB 700 units are budget friendly) a book on wedding Photography ( study it cover to cover ) A " wedding bracket" to hold camera body and flash unit ( gets the flash off of the lens axis ) and good weather with a healthy dose of luck for your first shoot if you don't work as an assistant before the big day.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 4 months ago #175840 by icepics
Was wondering if this is a shoot you'd be getting paid for or something you're doing for the experience. Even though you have until summer to prepare, it doesn't sound like you have any experience with this (although I don't know what your overall photography experience is). To be able to do something like this, if you don't even know what lenses or equipment you need, that seems to say you're not ready to do weddings.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #175842 by FMVPhotography
Agree with all of the above.

Although I plunged straight in to weddings (well I charged 'friends' next to nothing initially), in hindsight experience is the key - the more the better.

But in answer to your question a flash gun is a definite for an indoor wedding as well as a nice fast lens. I use a 18-200mm all rounder BUT rely heavily on a spare body (another must) with a 50mm 1.4G. In fact two of everything is good practice. Batteries in abundance too :) Go to the venue before hand, take some test shots, work out any issues with lighting before the day.

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #175893 by photobod
It scares me when people come on here and say they have their 1st wedding coming up "what do I need" or "what do I do", how on earth do you get the wedding in the first place, when I moved into weddings I made sure I researched all that was needed, then bought it and went on appropriate courses to make sure I produced the right results.
This is one of the most important days of their lives, please make sure you do all you can to provide perfect results and if you dont think you can then tell them, be honest and say you need more time to become a better more qualified photographer.
Dont get me wrong I believe anyone that wants to become a pro photographer deserves the chance but dont take on big important jobs before you are able.

:toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 4 months ago #176019 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #176470 by Henry Peach
I wouldn't want to shoot a wedding without a speedlight and a fast lens or two.
12 years 4 months ago #176479 by Shadowfixer1
If you have to ask this question, you don't need to be the primary shooter. Weddings ARE NOT EASY. Get familiar with your equipment and practice, practice, practice.
12 years 4 months ago #176480 by McBeth Photography

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If you have to ask this question, you don't need to be the primary shooter. Weddings ARE NOT EASY. Get familiar with your equipment and practice, practice, practice.

:agree:

It is what it is.
12 years 4 months ago #176485 by Henry Peach
We should sticky the "Why amateurs shouldn't shoot weddings!" thread right up there under "Raw vs Jpeg". ;)

Fourteen years ago a friend asked me to photograph his wedding. He wasn't a close friend, and looking back he probably didn't have a very good idea of the quality of my photographs. He just knew that I was into photography, and that his budget for the wedding photographer was a couple hundred dollars. I probably would have failed photo forum scrutiny as I only had old, obsolete, no frills gear and mainly shot landscapes, but it was before I'd found internet photo forums :) . I advised him that I had no event experience to speak of, and he should hire a pro, but it just wasn't in the budget. The photos turned out pretty good! The couple was thrilled, and I had a good time. For a few years I did weddings now and then at the request of friends. I've been earning a living shooting weddings full time for the last seven years.

I wish everyone would hire a pro to shoot their wedding, but sometimes that just isn't going to happen. It's either ask the buddy with a camera, or cell phone pics from the guests. I'd probably be more likely to trust the buddy with a camera over the random, way-too-cheap Craig's List ad.
12 years 4 months ago #176676 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote: It scares me when people come on here and say they have their 1st wedding coming up "what do I need" or "what do I do", how on earth do you get the wedding in the first place, when I moved into weddings I made sure I researched all that was needed, then bought it and went on appropriate courses to make sure I produced the right results.
This is one of the most important days of their lives, please make sure you do all you can to provide perfect results and if you dont think you can then tell them, be honest and say you need more time to become a better more qualified photographer.
Dont get me wrong I believe anyone that wants to become a pro photographer deserves the chance but dont take on big important jobs before you are able.

:toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy: :toocrazy:

Exactly. :agree: :goodpost:

If you're asking this question, I'd wonder if you're ready for this step. :dry:

As for the OPs question. Your current lenses aren't gonna be much good because of the variable aperture. While I've actually shot a wedding with a 28-300 (which has a variable aperture) I'd not recommend it because using a flash in manual mode (which is what you should be doing) is gonna mess up when the aperture changes, i.e. when you zoom. I could handle it because I've done many event shoots before. If you're just starting out, the constant adjusting might be above your head/abilities.

I suggest more experience and practice above getting new gear (sorry to sound harsh, but sometimes the truth hurts... don't mean to offend, maybe you're an excellent photographer with lots of knowledge/skills I dunno). :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024