wanting to learn about photography

13 years 7 months ago #176 by thezoo
I was wondering what the best way to learn the most about photograph in a short period of time? I am thinking about starting a photography business but I am not sure how or where to begin. Any advice??

13 years 7 months ago #319 by FunnyGuy
Well for most, photography takes time. There is a lot to learn if you are new. I would suggest reading some books and some online photography schools to start.

Good luck!

13 years 7 months ago #385 by thezoo
Thanks man! I've been doing some looking. Some of the information is so overwhelming that I really don't know where to start.

13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #421 by DavidNM
You might want to check out "Proud Photography". They have a real clean beginners course that will walk you through all of the basics - give you assignments - grade and offer suggestions about your photo's, etc. They also have a good HDR course - but that's for later down the road.

Obviously you'll know a lot more after you've taken 4 or 5 thousand pictures and start to get a feel for your camera. There's no magic - just hard work to understand what you're doing. Getting a good grasp of the basics, though, is essential.

13 years 7 months ago #425 by Soldier Boy
Book store is going to be your best friend! I have a nice collection of photography related books here. Bryan Peterson is one of my favorite authors, he has a number of books on "Understanding Exposure" "Understanding Shutterspeed" and so on.

13 years 7 months ago #935 by Fiesta!

DavidNM wrote: You might want to check out "Proud Photography". They have a real clean beginners course that will walk you through all of the basics - give you assignments - grade and offer suggestions about your photo's, etc. They also have a good HDR course - but that's for later down the road.

Obviously you'll know a lot more after you've taken 4 or 5 thousand pictures and start to get a feel for your camera. There's no magic - just hard work to understand what you're doing. Getting a good grasp of the basics, though, is essential.

How hard is HDR to learn?

Photo Comments
13 years 7 months ago #1013 by DavidNM
It's not that hard. You need a camera capable of continuous shooting, a good tripod and a good photo manipulation application. Instead of taking one shot and normal exposure, you also take shots that are overexposed and underexposed. Then the photo's are blended together using an HDR program like Photomatix or Hydra.

13 years 7 months ago #1064 by juju81052
I have to agree that the book store is going to be your best friend besides the camera!! Great books available and even some nice online courses can be taken!

13 years 6 months ago #1768 by Simon Says

DavidNM wrote: It's not that hard. You need a camera capable of continuous shooting, a good tripod and a good photo manipulation application. Instead of taking one shot and normal exposure, you also take shots that are overexposed and underexposed. Then the photo's are blended together using an HDR program like Photomatix or Hydra.

I've heard of the Photomatix, how is the Hyrda? Would you happen to know which is better or more features to it?

13 years 6 months ago #1805 by MrBiscuit
I took a photography class back in high school and since then read a few books and photography magazines.

13 years 6 months ago #1807 by DavidNM

Simon Says wrote:

DavidNM wrote: It's not that hard. You need a camera capable of continuous shooting, a good tripod and a good photo manipulation application. Instead of taking one shot and normal exposure, you also take shots that are overexposed and underexposed. Then the photo's are blended together using an HDR program like Photomatix or Hydra.

I've heard of the Photomatix, how is the Hyrda? Would you happen to know which is better or more features to it?

I think most people will tell you that Photomatix is better, but I think Hydra integrates with Aperture better.

13 years 6 months ago #1875 by canon4me
You should also look into youtube for all sorts of photography help!

13 years 6 months ago #2040 by Game Plan

canon4me wrote: You should also look into youtube for all sorts of photography help!

Very good source :cheer:

13 years 6 months ago #2050 by photoz
I agree wtih everyone, photography books will be really helpful, you might check your local library and see what books they have. Also you may want to consider a quick college photography course. Our local community college offers a great course and it is 2 nights a week for a semester.

13 years 6 months ago #2107 by meangogetter
I've also noticed that our wonderful administrator frequently brings great tips found on you tube and puts then in our tips section!! You should check it out. Lots of great videos.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024