Showing a Photo ?? What size is good?

12 years 2 months ago #196586 by LovePhotography
So my place of work is doing an Art Show for all the Employees & Volunteers – So I am going to sign up for it as they will take anything but one of the rules is it has to be in a frame with the wire attached to it and cannot be smaller than a 8X10

When showing a picture what size frame is normal to do??

12 years 2 months ago #196590 by Summertime
You can print an 8x10 and place it in a 8x10 frame
or
You can print an 8x10 and place it in a 11x14 frame with mat.

It doesn't really matter what frame you use. It all depends on how you want to display the photo....with a mat or without a mat. With a mat you will have a bigger frame. Without the mat you will use the same size frame of the print you will be printing.

12 years 2 months ago #196595 by Brookie
:agree: Since this is only a work contest I would only do a typically 8x10 frame, no mat.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #196606 by mattmoran
How close are the viewers going to get to the pictures? The normal rule of thumb is that the viewing distance should be around twice the distance of the diagonal. An 8x10 has a diagonal of around 13 inches. So an 8x10 will look best when viewed from about 2 feet away. A 4x6 looks best when held around 16 inches from your face. A 16x20 will look best from around 4 feet.

I'm a little surprised the contest doesn't specify a maximum size. Maybe they figure print and framing costs will keep people from going overboard. Personally I would go with something between 8x10 and 16x20, depending on the aspect ratio of your photo. If it's a 2:3 image sensor and you haven't cropped it, then maybe 8x12 (best viewing distance 28 inches). If you have cropped it, then pick a format close to the ratio you cropped it to. If it's square, maybe 12x12 (best viewing distance 3 feet.)

And for a contest, I would definitely use a mat.

-Matt
The following user(s) said Thank You: tblphoto
12 years 2 months ago #196611 by Baydream
For club evaluations, I use either 8x10 matted to 11x14 OR, more often 11x14 matted to 16X20. Frames of that size are very affordable. I have exhibited both unframed matted and framed matted. A good mat color choice can make make a photo "pop". Take your photo with you when selecting a mat. You will be surprised how some shots look better with white, with black, red, etc. I have had pro evaluators actually comment on my choice of mats (one was the use of a black mat with an oval opening).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #196615 by Darrell
I have to say I always use mats

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #196629 by icepics
I think it depends on the type of display, and the size of the room; if it's a small meeting room an 8x10 might be a better option than if it will be in a hallway or larger room, then maybe an 11x14 or 16x20 would be better.

I sometimes use mats, sometimes just frames, it depends on the photo and the frame. Using an off white is typical but I've used gray, black, khaki, etc. it just depends on what looks good with the photo.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #196679 by LovePhotography
FROM the person who is handling it -

Hello Marcella: submissions need to be printed and framed. I would suggest an image size of no smaller than 8” x 10”. The frame style is up to you but it needs to have a wire across the back to accommodate our hanging system. -

So what would you do ????

12 years 2 months ago #196716 by mattmoran

LovePhotography wrote: FROM the person who is handling it -

Hello Marcella: submissions need to be printed and framed. I would suggest an image size of no smaller than 8” x 10”. The frame style is up to you but it needs to have a wire across the back to accommodate our hanging system. -

So what would you do ????

Do you have an image in mind? What's the aspect ratio? (square, 2:3, 4:5?) That will somewhat determine the shape of your print. If it's 4:5 I would go with an 8x10 print in a 12x14 frame. If it's 2:3, I would go with an 8x12 print in a 12x16 frame. If it's square, maybe 12x12 in a 16x16 frame.

It's tough to go wrong with a metal black frame and a plain white mat. However, if the picture is in color and you can coordinate the mat color to compliment the dominant color of the picture, it can look even better.

After the contest, what happens to the framed picture? I assume you take it home and hang it on a wall in your house? If so, make sure you keep that in mind when picking the photo and framing.

-Matt
12 years 2 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #196729 by icepics
That response sounds like they want at least an 8x10 print, so either that size in an 8x10 frame unmatted, or an 8x10 print matted in a larger frame (or other variations as Matt mentioned). And as he said, what's typical in art galleries is often a black frame and white/off white mat; this sounds like it's up to you.

The 35mm format enlarges to 4x6, 5x7, and 8x12, so I'd usually have a color enlargement done and crop it myself to 8x10 (or for that matter crop any size enlargement to whatever size/shape I wanted.). I don't know if you're printing this yourself or having it done.

Depending on how much time you have to get this ready, there seem to be more choices in what you can order than what a lot of stores carry. For this display it sounds like you can mat and frame them in whatever style you like.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #196954 by Henry Peach
I like prints framed and matted. If very large I don't mind skipping the mat.

If you are looking to make this easy order your prints from Mpix.com. You can have them matted and framed there too, and they arrive ready to go.

If you are printing the entire photo as taken by a DSLR then the aspect ratio is 2:3, so the print sizes will be 8x12, 10x15, 12x18, etc... I like a selection like that. Mostly 8x12s and 10x15s, but a few 12x18s.
12 years 2 months ago #196995 by icepics
You know I realized the reason I've cropped 8x12's to 8x10's was because of standard frame and album sizes. Of course there are more options online, and stores (even what we have left in the way of craft stores) don't seem to carry much beyond what have always been standard basic sizes. That I imagine will change, I started seeing a bit more in size options in stores, geared to digital images, but not really a lot.

So I guess Marcie it depends on how soon you need something and where you have available to shop or if you go online.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #197002 by Baydream

icepics wrote: You know I realized the reason I've cropped 8x12's to 8x10's was because of standard frame and album sizes. Of course there are more options online, and stores (even what we have left in the way of craft stores) don't seem to carry much beyond what have always been standard basic sizes. That I imagine will change, I started seeing a bit more in size options in stores, geared to digital images, but not really a lot.

So I guess Marcie it depends on how soon you need something and where you have available to shop or if you go online.

I occasionally see 8x12 openings in 11x14 mats (I believe at Michaels - check with JoAnns). If time is critical, www.documounts.com has a wide variety of mats. I have bought vinyl sleeves and other items from them and been very pleased.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024