Photographing Newborns

12 years 1 month ago #207297 by Amberfarley80
This week I am doing pictures for my nephew's baby girl
And I was looking for some tips on backgrounds, props, or
anything else would be helpful. Thanks

A Farley
12 years 1 month ago #207314 by Darrell
I do a lot of new born pics. Make sure room is warm, have some bright colour props, little toys etc. If the baby is just a few weeks old they can be placed in any position, great age for bare shots. I always have the parents pose the baby. I have used an old suit case, pea pod prop, wicker basket, Mom and Dad holding them. Do you have studio lighting or off camera flash? I usually have back drop drape over the stand the baby is on. Young babies take a long time to photograph, can count on them needing to be changed and fed. Also get feed back from parents, Mom's usually has ideas and may come with some props. Make it a fun time....

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago #207320 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #207851 by Ford Plus
There are wool baby hats that are made that are very long. I have several baby portraits using these hats, very cute. White background would work. Make sure the room is not cold, you don't want a cranky baby because it's cold.

12 years 1 month ago #208327 by samiphotos
For your first newborn session, keeps things simple. In a very, very warm room, use a blanket or solid color backdrop and an ottoman or child's beanbag covered with soft fur. A fairly flat basket or tray with a soft lining works well too. Don't try to imitate exact images from other photographers. Look for beautiful light and watch the baby. If they begin making funny little faces, do a series of identical shots capturing a smile, a grimace, and a yawn. Then put those images into a collage or storyboard. Of course capture feet and nose and lips and fingers as well as typical poses like mommy with baby, daddy with baby and mom and dad together with baby. And most important or all, try not to let baby "startle" which is when the baby jumps and jerks its arms wide open. Whenever you or the parents are moving the baby, keep it's little arms snug. The easiest way is to spread your fingers out wide and place your hand over babies crossed arms so your hand is snugging the arms against the chest. Baby feels warm and secure even when naked. When baby is settled in and relaxed, slowly remove your hand. I just added a small newborn/maternity album where you might get some ideas or go to my website.

Attachments:
11 years 10 months ago #233520 by hurleytalk
Fingers and toes--the best things about newborns! Get a picture with baby's fingers wrapped around mom and/or dad's finger--very close up with solid dark background (or light if hands are dark). Put baby's foot against mom or dad's hand or even thumb depending on the size of the foot. If baby is smaller and dad has big hands, that 'famous' shot of the dad holding baby with head in his hand and body along his arm and opposite hand on top is a great shot, but only works in some circumstances and with a very happy sleeping baby.
When our hospital baby photographers do the newborn shot (generic but works), they do them right before a feeding when baby is alert and lay him on his back, then hold his hands/arms on his chest together and shake a rattle overhead to make the baby look--they let go suddenly while shooting the picture and the baby will usually do that startle reflex mentioned above, but it is not harmful in that case and they will open their eyes and you sometimes get some great shots. Otherwise the other comment was right about not startling them much when they are lying still otherwise--they may start crying and it may take a while to settle them for the shot. Good luck--baby pictures are awesome :)

11 years 10 months ago #233684 by icepics
Amber you seem to have gotten some nice poses in the photos you have posted, so you probably would do well to continue with what has worked for you. Some of the photos look rather soft when enlarged when you click on them on here, but that could be if you were using existing light then, or from the resizing etc. posting on a message board.

My job was working w/infants w/delays (preemies etc.) and I hadn't looked up baby photography online til it came up on the board here, but I've seen some bad ideas out there. I don't think young infants should be manipulated into some of the poses on some of the equipment I've seen in some photos, esp. when the baby is young enough to need the head and neck supported.

I'd follow Darrell's suggestions, and mostly have the parents position the baby and you manage the lighting and camera etc. Depending on the age newborn infants don't necessarily yet have fully developed vision so I don't know that I'd take a lot of toys til the baby's older. At this age they tend to respond more to toys that are bright w/B&W and geometric designs which the family might have. Or the baby may respond more to mom's or dad's voice and face, or as the baby gets a little older a mirror can be great to get the baby to smile and vocalize.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024