Think I'm getting it!

12 years 2 weeks ago #208734 by bigbubbaG
I was "out on the farm" the other day. There was a pretty nice reflection on a pond from the barn behind it. I wanted to photograph the barn because it is a tabacco barn that is over 100 years old. No matter how I tried to compose the photo, it looked terrible. There's other old barns in the distance, and if I go to the other side, the "working barn" is in the background (YUCK!). Even another way, and there's a house in the background. This is my first real attempt to make something out of a less than nice photo, so please don't hold your tongue,,, critque away, I want you to, good or bad.
So I decided to go with this one...

My first attempt at trying so cropping! After cropping...

Just for fun. This "abstract" is a huge stack of Tabacco sticks. When the tabacco is harvested, it's hung in the tabacco barns, on these sticks, to dry out & become more near usable tabacco.

Victory is won not in miles but inches. Win some, hold your ground, win some more.
---Louis L'amour

Attachments:
12 years 2 weeks ago #208756 by icepics
Nice - sometimes simpler is better. I love the second one, I particularly like abstracts and with this one you have some great movement and a pattern that draws the eye in. I think the point of focus being off center works, and is almost within 'thirds'. I think you're getting it too.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #208758 by bigbubbaG
Thank you very much.:thumbsup:

Victory is won not in miles but inches. Win some, hold your ground, win some more.
---Louis L'amour

12 years 2 weeks ago #209005 by photobod
It looks flat to me, lifeless sky and an overexposed roof, it certainly needs some oomph and possibly a better angle to show more depth. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 weeks ago #209031 by Dori
The barn might work better in BW. Overall I like the second shot but the reflection off the one roof panel is distracting.

Now the tobacco sticks Those are cool!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 2 weeks ago #209036 by robbie
Since you really want to learn here goes....
Wait for a still day so you can shoot the reflection of the building and do a close up of it.
The images you posted the front of the roof is blown and the sky doesn`t do anything for the image,converting to bw might be a better option.The angle of the building gives a static appearance.The match sticks image is much better,shows you are 'seeing' what`s around you.
Hang in there,you are on your way...
Check this out....
www.adorama.com/alc/bucket/Techniques-and-How-Tos

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #209062 by bigbubbaG
First of all, thanks for the input. Let me just say, It was a bright sunny day with a breeze. I can't get any other angle, I looked, but the background would be crappy. Maybe I'll have to try another time of day so the sun won't be so directly on the roof.

Maybe this is an improvement.

EDIT: Robbie, I bookmarked that link....Thanks.:cheers:

---Louis L'amour

Attachments:
12 years 2 weeks ago #209063 by bigbubbaG

Dori wrote:
Now the tobacco sticks Those are cool!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Dori. :banana:

---Louis L'amour

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #209579 by Henry Peach
Crop even closer. Fill the frame with your subject. Or make it a pano. The empty sky adds nothing.
12 years 2 weeks ago #209588 by chasrich
Have you tried to spiff up areas of the photo with the burn tool darkening the sky or adjusting the contrast might help. That would be fine for post. For in camera improvements a CPF (polarizing) might get you some better exposure of the sky. A different time of day might also help. A longer exposure, using a ND filter might decrease the ripples in the water. The reflection would be more complete even though it would still be soft on focus.

For the background items you want to eliminate you might just clone in some suitable background to cover the other buildings. For suitable background try reversing the original and using the background that it there.

You can learn a lot from just experiementation. Go for it!

The sticks are awesome - well done. :judge: :judge: :judge:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 weeks ago #209638 by Arkangel7x3

bigbubbaG wrote: First of all, thanks for the input. Let me just say, It was a bright sunny day with a breeze. I can't get any other angle, I looked, but the background would be crappy. Maybe I'll have to try another time of day so the sun won't be so directly on the roof.

Maybe this is an improvement.

EDIT: Robbie, I bookmarked that link....Thanks.:cheers:

This is a nice conversion but I think the end point for an item that over exposes like that is Time of Day try getting it in the early morning or late after noon when the sun is on the opposite side of the barn

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 2 weeks ago #209788 by icepics
I don't think converting to B&W necessarily works. When I'm shooting B&W I try to notice contrast in tone, dark and light, in the scene/subject. Looking at the original the blue, green, brown are all midtones; the roof is white but I don't see much that would be black.

This time of year it's just not colorful, so as mentioned, cropping might help or shooting at a different time of day (although when it's overcast like this, I don't know know that you'd get much interesting shade/highlights etc.)

You said this was your first attempt to crop, so at least you're learning something with the first one (I agree that more of a pano style crop might be better). You saw something interesting and were able to get a creative photograph with your second one.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #209804 by bigbubbaG
I think I will try another time of day. I am here 2 times a day, every day. This farm belongs to my bosses family. This barn is like 200 yards from where we park the trucks. ( I'm a retired carpenter & drive big rigs for a living). I can't get an early morning shot as I leave out at 2 am, but as the days get longer, I should be able to get an evening shot. Late evening the sun is to the left of this barn.

Thank you all again for your help.

:cheers: BBG

---Louis L'amour

12 years 2 weeks ago #209929 by Stealthy Ninja

Dori wrote: Now the tobacco sticks Those are cool!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:blink:

12 years 4 days ago #213477 by bigbubbaG
I revisited this barn.... Early morning, instead of middle of the day...

Nothing I can do about the irrigation pipe stack, except maybe crop the photo.

---Louis L'amour

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024