Lady Bug

12 years 1 month ago #209523 by bigbubbaG
Feed back welcome as always...

Victory is won not in miles but inches. Win some, hold your ground, win some more.
---Louis L'amour

Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago #209530 by Darrell
Neat pics, the blurr seems over done... #3 is the only one where the subject is crisp....:beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago #209558 by Dsoul
Excellent photos. Love them all. They all look in focus, just maybe used different aperture, for the reason some look more in focus then others.

12 years 1 month ago #209640 by Arkangel7x3
very cool :goodpost:

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #209800 by bigbubbaG
Thank you all.I was out yesterday, picking & pruning on my rose, when I saw this creature crawling amongst the leaves.

I am learning these manual controls. I will have to look at the exif data for them. I can't remember which was which.

Is it just me? Or, does the Canon 100 mm macro have a tiny focal point? It seems every time I use that lens, There is only a small circle that is crisp & focused right.

Victory is won not in miles but inches. Win some, hold your ground, win some more.
---Louis L'amour

12 years 1 month ago #209833 by robbie

bigbubbaG wrote: Thank you all.I was out yesterday, picking & pruning on my rose, when I saw this creature crawling amongst the leaves.

I am learning these manual controls. I will have to look at the exif data for them. I can't remember which was which.

Is it just me? Or, does the Canon 100 mm macro have a tiny focal point? It seems every time I use that lens, There is only a small circle that is crisp & focused right.

That small focal point is the main reason I don`t shoot with my macro unless I can step it down,I get greater dof with my non-macro lens.If shooting still life on a tripod on a still day then I might use it.Next time step it down,try using the ec to control the hotspots...bright areas use -ec,dark areas +ec.Start at .3 and bracket the shots so you`ll know what works.

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #209834 by bigbubbaG
Thanks Robbie.

I read that with the T2i it's best to shoot at the lowest number aperture. In the case of my 100mm, that is F/2.8. I know that's what the aperture was set at for all these shots, but I'll have to look back to see the other settings.

Thanks again! :cheers:

EDIT: Supposedly, my Canon 18-55mm & 75-300mm will do macro also. I have never tried either of them. That's what I read in the Canon booklet that came with the lenses.

---Louis L'amour

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #209843 by robbie

bigbubbaG wrote: Thanks Robbie.

I read that with the T2i it's best to shoot at the lowest number aperture. In the case of my 100mm, that is F/2.8. I know that's what the aperture was set at for all these shots, but I'll have to look back to see the other settings.

Thanks again! :cheers:

EDIT: Supposedly, my Canon 18-55mm & 75-300mm will do macro also. I have never tried either of them. That's what I read in the Canon booklet that came with the lenses.

You are welcome.
I think you got that wrong....2.8 would be the highest or biggest f-stop that`s wide open.
Run a test...shoot on a tripod a subject at the various f-stops.I won`t tell you what the result will be.
Another thing you should think about...shooting from the side a given f-stop might give you acceptable dof BUT from in front it will not....try it on your dog`s face.
Get away from shooting 'Program' mode use Aperture Priority where you set the f-stop you want.
The zoom lenses are normally 'macro' at one end of the range plus you might have to select that option on the lens.

12 years 1 month ago #209849 by bigbubbaG
Here's where I read that.
www.cameratips.com/t2i/take-great-macro-photos-canon-t2i

Long story short...

QUOTE:
In order to control depth of field, you should enable Aperture Priority mode (Av).

First rotate the mode dial to Av
Locate the aperture f-number on the back of the LCD screen
Rotate the little command dial which is located just behind the shutter button.
If you rotate it to the left you will get a lower f-number and if you rotate it to the right you will get a higher f-number.
For macros, you will want the lowest f-number possible. The lowest available f-number will be determined by your lens.

Now that you’ve got the T2i shooting mode set up correctly, you’ll want to choose the right focus mode.

It says "Lowest number"

I will try what you suggest, I just can't do it tonight as it is only 10 minutes from my bed time. (I get up for work at 2 am).

In the words of Tigger.... TTFN

We will continue this tomorrow, if ya don't mind.

:cheers:

---Louis L'amour

12 years 1 month ago #209858 by robbie

bigbubbaG wrote: Here's where I read that.
www.cameratips.com/t2i/take-great-macro-photos-canon-t2i

Long story short...

QUOTE:
In order to control depth of field, you should enable Aperture Priority mode (Av).

First rotate the mode dial to Av
Locate the aperture f-number on the back of the LCD screen
Rotate the little command dial which is located just behind the shutter button.
If you rotate it to the left you will get a lower f-number and if you rotate it to the right you will get a higher f-number.
For macros, you will want the lowest f-number possible. The lowest available f-number will be determined by your lens.

Now that you’ve got the T2i shooting mode set up correctly, you’ll want to choose the right focus mode.

It says "Lowest number"

I will try what you suggest, I just can't do it tonight as it is only 10 minutes from my bed time. (I get up for work at 2 am).

In the words of Tigger.... TTFN

We will continue this tomorrow, if ya don't mind.
:cheers:

Goodnight!!
Is 2.8 high or low?

12 years 1 month ago #209860 by robbie
A link for you,sorry couldn`t post because the site messing up....
www.photoxels.com/digital-photography-tu...s/tutorial-aperture/
Working tomorrow.
Goodnight.

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #210225 by bigbubbaG
OK, I did a test. I got my camera out, along with my 100mm macro lens. I did a double check on the F-stop for this lens. It goes from 2.8 - 32.0. I then took it outside, I have a Lilac in the yard that is just starting to bud out with some blooms. I took a shot of a bud with every F-stop. Using ISO 400. Different shutter speeds also. I got the best shots from F/4.0 - F/9.0. The best of all was at F/8.0...shutter at 1/125...

This shot is straight out of my camera... no post processing at all. Only down sized to post...

EDIT: I forgot to mention.... I noticed the "focal circle" is almost non existent with the higher F-stop numbers (smaller aperture?) & higher shutter speed.

All in all, I am pleased with the small bit of progress! :cheers:

---Louis L'amour

Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago #210319 by robbie
Straight from the camera...WOW!!
Very nice shot,next time you shoot use the f8 as the starting point since that is the lens sweet spot.Keep bracketing until you know what to do in any given situation.
Which software do you use,with Lightroom so cheap you should consider it.

12 years 1 month ago #210601 by bigbubbaG
If & when I do any post processing, I use either the EOS software that came with my camera or Photostudio6 (which I bought). I am not very good at editing, heck I some times have a hard time with just simple cropping. OH... I bought the Photostudio6 only because the software that came with my camera doesn't let one downsize photos.

I'm not really sure about getting more software. I have Photoshop Elements 10, but can't figure out how to use it, so I uninstalled it. I still have it, just can't use it.

And YES, that photo is exactly as my camera saw it, only editing was to downsize for posting.

---Louis L'amour

12 years 1 month ago #210757 by robbie
You need to learn how to use Elements 10,just do one adjustment until you get it.I had photoshop
4, years ago but didn`t used because I thought it was too difficult.i use CS5 now but only a few manipulations.Don`t give up,find a easy to understand tutorial like a step by step and try it.
I wasn`t doubting you when you said that the image was straight from the camera...I was in awe of your capture....great job!!
Something to think about,in my opinion....
The image with proper processing will look so much better,just imho but what do I know.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024