Become a better photographer

11 years 3 months ago #264733 by Rob pix4u2
Don't be afraid to use a Point and Shoot- you can make some great images with one

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 3 months ago #265103 by sleeper54

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Don't be afraid to use a Point and Shoot- you can make some great images with one

Ha.

I am taking this one to heart.

Things are just a little too . . .'financially unstable' to take the plunge into the SLR pool.

Soon ...I hope, things will be better here.

...tom...

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: sree2472
11 years 2 months ago #268205 by Bidoo
Getting feedback on photos from others can help with confidence and knowledge. I agree, that learning from your bad photos ( or were you went wrong) can help you 10 fold in the end!

11 years 2 months ago #268373 by Zeke Menuar
One day a week set the camera to monochrome and shoot everything in black and white.

One day a week put on the prime lens and leave all the other lenses at home.

10 years 11 months ago #280080 by kendrikwiley
Photography is hobbies of most of the people around the world. Lots of people like to take photos of baby, animals, nature and landscapes. However being successful photographer is not much easiest. It is very much essential to have the colourful and unique pictures. At the time of taking photographs of people makes sure your capturing the photos of people emotions and reactions. Always try to take the photos of real people.

10 years 11 months ago #280099 by Zeberk

Zeke Menuar wrote: One day a week set the camera to monochrome and shoot everything in black and white.

One day a week put on the prime lens and leave all the other lenses at home.

That's a good idea with the prime lens, I'm going to try that this weekend.

Photo Comments
10 years 8 months ago #288329 by jassem3333
dont forget your memory card on your pc :slapface:

10 years 5 months ago #297865 by tailur
Don't waste money on expensive camera gear. Practice until you can take amazing photos with any camera.

A painter is a painter because of his/her abilities no because of their brush/paint.
A photographer is no different.

10 years 1 month ago #340583 by Veselin-Malinov
Read and shoot A LOT! 
Leave the more expensive cameras and lenses to the PRO. What I mean is that I khave known people with over 10 000 $ in gear but when they shoot fror example landscapes, they shoot in P mode with the build in flash on?!?!??!@$#@$%#%@$#    A HUUUUGE waste of money!

The 3 components for me are:

-shoot in MANUAL MODE, you control the camera, not vice versa
-know the basic rules of COMPOSITION
-learn how to read the light

I have tried to expose my thoughts  here

The following user(s) said Thank You: fritz28or
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #383717 by vidisha-jain
Some essential tips for the beginners :-

1.Understand aperture The most fundamental element any photographer should understand is aperture. The wider the aperture opening, the more light can pass through.
2.Avoid using aperture to compensate for poor lighting.
3. Don't confine it to skies
4. Look for lenses where the zoom control doesn't change the filter orientation
5 .Don't forget about white balance
6. Don't forget about white balance

Hope these tips provide you ease while working with DSLR.

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #383804 by KCook
There will be circumstances when the camera's AE programming will do a reasonable job, so manual control is not needed at all times.

Aperture is just one of 4 factors in determining exposure, and just one of 3 factors in determining depth of field.  I fail to see how that makes aperture "the most fundamental element".

Why should aperture not accommodate lighting?

Don't confine what to skies???

When shooting RAW (not JPG), white balance can be taken care of in post processing.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 9 months ago #383920 by Tuscan Muse
"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop." ~ Ansel Adams

I think that practice makes perfect, but don't let a lack of perfection deter you from improving your craft. 
9 years 7 months ago #395974 by sree2472
this is one tip that I need to keep reminding myself while taking photographs

former senior writer cum features editor for Diamond World - a trading magazine for the gem and jewellery industry
9 years 2 months ago #421916 by bryanharvey57
I have a Canon 5D Mark 111, been taking pictures for about one year. So, I still have a lot to learn.

I recently bought a new lens, Canon prime 85mm F1.2 to take pictures of our new grandchild. When I try to focus on more than

one subject, like 3 people. I can't get everyone in focus. Can anyone help me with this issue? Regards, Bryan

9 years 1 month ago #427302 by dragosticu
From time to time, check the old photos. You will be surprise.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024