Become a better photographer

9 years 1 month ago #427303 by dragosticu

[email protected] wrote: I have a Canon 5D Mark 111, been taking pictures for about one year. So, I still have a lot to learn.

I recently bought a new lens, Canon prime 85mm F1.2 to take pictures of our new grandchild. When I try to focus on more than

one subject, like 3 people. I can't get everyone in focus. Can anyone help me with this issue? Regards, Bryan

Hello!

Use F > 7.1 and step back to get everybody in picture - at least 2/3 from the body.

Dragos

8 years 11 months ago #437154 by epicphotography
Hey everyone, 
I actually just finished writing an article about the 5 most important tips you need to know and implement before shooting your first wedding. 
Here is one of the points:

Before we get started, you need to know that being an awesome wedding photographer is NOT all about photography!Having good photography skills is only about 30% of what it takes to being an awesome wedding photographer! 
The other 70% includes:
  • Being happy, friendly and having the ability to build rapport with anyone and become everyones best friend.
  • Being an awesome problem solver when things go wrong, ie, car breaks down, camera breaks, mother in law faints, etc etc, and yes, these have all happened to me!
  • Being able to think quickly on your feet, make big decisions and convince everyone it is the right thing to do.
  • Being bold, get people to listen to you but never be rude. Crowd control 
  • Being an entertainer, have fun with the bridal party, crack jokes, play games, give the bride and groom the best possible experience so they enjoy having their photos taken.
  • and lots more…
I wrote an article on  A day in the life of a wedding photographer , I suggest you read it to give you a really good idea, step by step, total overview of what it’s like to actually be the photographer on the day.

8 years 11 months ago #437157 by Meskill

epicphotography wrote: Hey everyone, 
I actually just finished writing an article about the 5 most important tips you need to know and implement before shooting your first wedding. 
Here is one of the points:

Before we get started, you need to know that being an awesome wedding photographer is NOT all about photography!Having good photography skills is only about 30% of what it takes to being an awesome wedding photographer! 
The other 70% includes:

• Being happy, friendly and having the ability to build rapport with anyone and become everyones best friend.
  • Being an awesome problem solver when things go wrong, ie, car breaks down, camera breaks, mother in law faints, etc etc, and yes, these have all happened to me!
  • Being able to think quickly on your feet, make big decisions and convince everyone it is the right thing to do.
  • Being bold, get people to listen to you but never be rude. Crowd control 
  • Being an entertainer, have fun with the bridal party, crack jokes, play games, give the bride and groom the best possible experience so they enjoy having their photos taken.
  • and lots more…
I wrote an article on  A day in the life of a wedding photographer , I suggest you read it to give you a really good idea, step by step, total overview of what it’s like to actually be the photographer on the day.

Bad link, page doesn't open

Photo Comments
8 years 11 months ago #439938 by phototrims
" Go outside & shoot photos rather than spending hours a day on photography forums "

8 years 10 months ago #440011 by Baydream

phototrims wrote: " Go outside & shoot photos rather than spending hours a day on photography forums "

Don't be such a negative ninnie. The weather may not be great where people are and they may not have an opportunity to be out. Reading forums are educational.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: JuliaOrlando, Pilotshark
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #441968 by GreenMary
Find out more about back button focus, it can really help. 

7 years 4 months ago #508152 by Gert1985
Camera lens should be clean.

6 years 1 week ago #575310 by selena18
I would like to give some tips like

1. Don’t worry about acquiring expensive gear; focus on the learning first.2. Shoot during the Golden Hour3. Photograph in every possible lighting situation4. Experiment with new techniques

5 years 11 months ago #579856 by selena18
Photography field is constantly evolving and there are lot of new tips and techniques to learn. So, need to study sometimes to take ourselves to the next level of photography. We need to look our previous work so that we can notice the difference between past and presents ideas, habits and technical facts.

5 years 8 months ago #592669 by Higbee
I think It doesn’t take a lot of money or equipment to take great photos; although it can help. Phones have some pretty advanced cameras these days and the growth of the cell phone photography genre fueled a wide range of relatively low-cost aftermarket accessories to expand on what a phone camera can do.

5 years 8 months ago #596048 by prashant mahto
suggest me best DSLR camera for beginner 

5 years 8 months ago #596201 by KCook

prashant mahto wrote: suggest me best DSLR camera for beginner 

Link for another thread that wanders down that path -

Best dslr camera for beginners?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 8 months ago #596221 by Nikon Shooter
I don't think that to improve one needs to shoot, shoot, and
shoot some more… repeating the same mistake most of the
time. I rather tell my students to understand better… then it
becomes much easier! ;)

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
4 years 6 months ago #659579 by ebyelyakov
It is not the camera that produces the image, it is YOU.
Shoot RAW, and master post processing since the image you see in your brain is not what your camera sees.

4 years 4 months ago #668944 by clippingphotoexperts
Powerful Tips To Become A Better Photographer
1. Don’t worry about acquiring expensive gear; focus on the learning first.
2. Shoot during the Golden Hour
3. Use ugly things as subjects
4. Deliberately limit yourself
5. Take an art class
6. Use a traditional film camera
7. Study the work of other photographers
8. Move your own positions as you shoot
9. Experiment with new techniques
10. Don’t be quick to delete photos you may not like right now

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

Latest Articles

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024

In the great Canon R6 vs R6 Mark II, which one is best? Is it the original, groundbreaking R6 or the mildly updated and newer R6 Mark II? Let’s dive in and find out!

Apr 03, 2024