Canon T3i - what lenses or other equipment would you recommend for a beginner?

11 years 11 months ago #225295 by Erica F
Hey all,

I recently got a Canon T3i, and am starting to develop my skills.

I have the kit lens, but am wondering what you all would recommend that I get to add to my "collection"?

A tri-pod is next on the list for sure, but what kind of lenses would you recommend? What's a good lens to carry with me at all times?

I know it all depends on what type of photography I'm going to be shooting...but any and all suggestions are welcome!

"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness." - Dalai Lama
11 years 11 months ago #225298 by eccs19
If you've already got the kit lens, then usually one of the first additions that people recommend are either a fast 50mm lens or a fast 35mm lens. If you think you may end up doing some wild life shooting, then perhaps a 70-200 lens would be better suited. Depending on your budget will depend on what 70-200 is best suited.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Erica F
11 years 11 months ago #225304 by KCook
Similar thread -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/the-lounge...3-pls-suggest-a-lens

That makes 2 lenses for me. My next chunk of gear will be a speedlite, not another lens.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #225305 by Baydream
If you want to try out a 70-300 lens, B&H sells them in their used dept for $115-$124. The duty and shipping to Nova Scotia added about $30 (duty and HST). Just had one shipped to a friend. It is a non-IS lens but I used one all last summer and got some great shots. Then if you decided to step up to 70-300 IS or 50-250 IS, you could probably sell the "used" one for about $100. Just a thought.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #225500 by rmeyer7
The lens recommendations above are great ones. Any of Canon's 50mm primes are great if you want to work on portraits, they're a perfect focal length for portraits on most of Canon's cameras. Plus you'll get to learn the advantages and uses of wide apertures -- they give you a lot more versatility for shooting with limited light, you'll get to experiment with depth of field more, and sometimes they even make the difference between being able to get a usable shot or not.

I'm a big fan of the EF-S 55-250 for an affordable telephoto lens. It's really sharp and has excellent IS.

Another thing I'd invest in is a speedlight if you don't have one yet. Get one that can bounce and swivel, and once you experiment enough to figure out what you can do with it you'll wonder how you ever put up with a pop-up flash.

11 years 11 months ago #225526 by Henry Peach
It really depends on what you are shooting.

A speedlight is much more useful than the pop-up flash. Get one that allows bounce and swivel (such as the EOS 430ex or 430exII).

For low light and portraits replace the kit lens with a f/2.8 normal zoom (similar focal length range as your kit lens). A 50mm or 85mm prime lens also works well for portraits and low light.

For landscapes maybe a wider (shorter focal length) zoom or prime lens.

These days I only use my tripod for landscape work. You'll want some sort of remote release (cable or remote) to use with the tripod.

Extra batteries and memory are always handy.

It's easy to get caught up in the gear and gizmos. Too much gear can be a distraction. Spend your money searching out inspiring subject matter, making prints, and having them framed so you can look at them every day.
11 years 11 months ago #225563 by Erica F
Thank you everyone for your tips and suggestions!!

I never thought of investing in a speedlight - I think it will be worth it to check out.

As for the lenses, I like your suggestions for the affordable telephoto zoom - that is at the top of my list.

What are everyone's thoughts on filters? Worth it or no? I saw some in store the other day...they were priced anywhere from $25 to $80 dollars. They seem like they'd be neat to experiment with.

11 years 11 months ago #225565 by Bob Eaton
I would put a skylight filter on the front of any lens!!!! That way if something hits it or smears on it, it won1t be your prime lens getting messed up!!!!!!!! It`s saved my ass quite a few times!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :judge: :beerbang:

Nothing is Beatleproof!!!!!!!!!
11 years 11 months ago #225572 by Baydream
As far as filters go, a Circular Polarizing Filter is a great addition for cutting glare and enhancing skies.
You may also want to consider a lens hood. It will protect your lens and cut down on oblique light (causing lens flare). I have several Canon and several Vello hoods to match my lenses
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lens+h...239184479+4291570227

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #225604 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 11 months ago #225612 by GmaC
I'm glad you asked this question, I've been working on my wish list since I walked out of the camera store the other day. I'm a beginner too and after practicing with some junk on Sunday I really love the 50mm f1.8 II. I think I'll first get a speedlite, and then I would really love a good telephoto lens. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but the 18/135 doesn't have enough zoom for me.

PS. I have purchased one filter so far. I want more of those too. ;)

~Capture Life~
11 years 11 months ago #225714 by rmeyer7
As far as filters go, the 2 I use the most are a CPL as Baydream recommended, and a graduated neutral density filter, which allows you to darken just part of your image (usually the sky).

GmaC, it wouldn't necessarily be that you're doing anything wrong -- but that depends what you're shooting! If you're shooting wildlife or sports, for example, then you're right, that's probably not enough zoom. But if you're doing portraits then what you should be doing is getting closer, rather than standing far away and zooming. I try to stay around 80-85mm, even with a zoom lens, when shooting portraits. Then, I move rather than zooming.

Generally speaking, if I can capture something by moving myself instead of switching to a longer lens, that's what I do. There's definitely a difference between needing more zoom and wanting it for convenience.

11 years 11 months ago #225838 by GmaC
Roger that! I want a zoom for things like the moon, wildlife, sunsets, football games, concerts, etc. :cheer:

~Capture Life~
11 years 11 months ago #225847 by Scotty

GmaC wrote: Roger that! I want a zoom for things like the moon, wildlife, sunsets, football games, concerts, etc. :cheer:

Get ready to destroy your bank account.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 11 months ago #226066 by Erica F
Wow!! Amazing responses everyone!

I haven't checked into the site in a few days...so I was really "wowed" with all of your thoughts.

I'm heading to the "Exposure - Photo and Video Imaging Expo" at the International Centre (near the Toronto airport) in a few weeks, so I'll be checking out lenses and filters to add to my collection for sure.

I'm thinking that the different filters will become a bit of an "addiction", because they're not too expensive.

Thanks again everyone :thumbsup:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024