Where are you getting your inspiration from?

11 years 5 months ago #258635 by Jeff Wensloff
Is this the signature question of a green horn? :rofl: If it is, I'm a new guy and looking for tips, tricks and what ever I can learn from more knowledgeable and experienced photographers. Starting out, I find myself struggling at times on what I should be photographing. I'll go out and not have a clue what I should be looking at. So your help would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out here.

Jeff

11 years 5 months ago #258663 by hghlndr6
Give yourself a challenge. Pick a theme, any theme ... then go shoot it.

For example, "today, I'm going to shoot everything that's round." Then be creative with what you find.

Other ideas: shoot anything red, or any other color; shoot whatever appears in groups of three; shoot lines, shoot textures. The possibilities are endless. ;)
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #258664 by garyrhook
Maybe it's me, but there seems to be a dichotomy between the idea of being a photographer, and not knowing what to take a picture of..

That said...
  1. Start by surfing photography websites and look at lots of photos. What captures your interest and causes you to think, "hm, I'd like to do that." Then go find a subject that fits and start snapping. This site's galleries, www.photo.net and www.1x.com are good places to start.
  2. If you are new to composition, you might pick up a copy of "Photographic Composition" by Grill and Scanlon, or some comparable book. Homework awaits.
  3. From a technical perspective, read Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure"

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #258706 by icepics
Maybe if you're new to photography you're almost finding too much you could take pictures of and aren't sure where to start. I've been a photographer for long enough I guess that I seem to see things all the time that I could photograph. I think it takes time to develop an eye for it. You might want to go someplace you like and where you enjoy spending time, that might lead you to taking photos of something meaningful to you.

I'd suggest learning the basics of how to use a camera and practice plenty - make sure you've got the camera straight, frame shots so everything in the viewfinder/viewscreen is what you want in your picture, learn how ISO and shutter speed and aperture work together, and learn how to use your meter to determine if you have the right amount of light to get a proper exposure.

You might try looking up the 7 elements of composition in art (instead of photography), that should take you to some sites that explain the basic elements like color, shape, line, texture, etc. Those are some things you could start noticing in scenes or potential subjects, and then start thinking about how you might capture them in interesting ways.

You could look up famous photographers and look at what they photographed and notice how they framed their shots, what they chose for subjects, etc. Or even look at photos in the news or sports to see what they captured in that split second when they released the shutter.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #258783 by Wild Mitch
Books!

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #258898 by Joves
For me it is a matter of how the light is playing on a subject. No real inspiration but more of just being observant of how the light changes things.

11 years 5 months ago #258930 by Pettigrew
Books and museums

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #258933 by John Landolfi
You might begin by asking yourself WHY you want to take pictures, what about photography attracts you enought to justify spending on equipment, and investing time. :cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259006 by effron

John Landolfi wrote: You might begin by asking yourself WHY you want to take pictures, what about photography attracts you enought to justify spending on equipment, and investing time. :cheers:

Now you tell me!...... :angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #259049 by b4d93r
Jeff,

"A jedi feels the force flowing through them."

I think every photographer asks themselves this question at some point. Maybe even later in their career as well. There is some great advice posted here and I would like to add mine as well.

Photography is what you make it to be. Themes were mentioned earlier and in my opinion that is a great place to start. If I can expand on the idea of "everything round", don't just leave it at actual round objects like balls for exaple, look at other objects that are round like tables, wheels, manhole covers and expand on it. I did a thing several years ago on car grills, I loved doing it too. The shapes, curves, design all brought something different to the picture. The challenge for me was how do I compose the shot, do I shoot straight on, at an angle, whats the lighting like? It all posed unique challenges which made me think a little. I may still revisit that and do some more and maybe expand on it by doing tail lights as well.

Graffiti is another fun one I've been looking at doing. Again, for me it's how do I compose the shot, whats the lighting like and so on.

As of late portraiture has been impacting my world. I don't neccissarily like doing portraits as I don't think I'm that good and it's not what I really want to do. However I have been noticing some things while doing it. Composition, lighting, subject matter, backgrounds, ect. have all started running through my head when doing it. I don't have a lot of equipment so I have to compensate for areas where maybe another flash or fill light would be needed.

Don't stress yourself out over what to take pictures of, instead just let it happen. As you're walking about during your day, start taking subtle notice of things like shapes, designs, patterens, ect. If you notice something, stop and look at it for a bit and try to imagine how you would take a picture of it, How is the light hitting the subject, what other things in the picture would be a distraction and so on. Eventually, things will start clicking.

Earlier I mentioned I don't like taking portraits and it's not what I want to do. What turns me on as a photographer is landscapes and macro two polar opposites. One is far and wide and the other is close and cramped. I don't know why these appeal to me so much, maybe it's the colors or the detail but it's what I enjoy the most. there are other aspects of photography I enjoy as well but haven't explored them that much yet. A photog friend of mine and I have been talking about going and doing some spinning wool shots. I've never heard of that before and looked it up and it looks really cool and fun. I just haven't had much time to go do it yet.

I hope this helps you some but remembeer you are what makes your photography. Find your inner Ansel Adams!

Fuji FinePix S5100 \ Olympus SP-565UZ \ Nikon D100
UV/CP Filters
Collapsible lens shade

It ain't much but it keeps me happy!

11 years 5 months ago #259144 by Henry Peach
I love art museums!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024