Do you ever feel your photography equipment is holding you back?

11 years 3 months ago #268633 by Fishtaco
Now I shoot with a Nikon D200 which is becoming more and more outdated camera. I hope to have budget for D600 by mid spring/summer this year. Every time I think about the new camera I vision how much better of a photographer I'm going to be. :whistle:

Now I know in reality I'm not going to be a better photographer just by holding a newer camera. But I can't help to think that with newer technology that certain restrictions might be lifted or made easier to get around. Do you feel the same way about technology?

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #268635 by effron
A D600 won't make you a better photographer, just offer you better tools..... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #268636 by Baydream

effron wrote: A D600 won't make you a better photographer, just offer you better tools..... ;)

:agree: Higher ISO for low light. Higher capacity sensor. Faster burst and much more. You are right that if you have mastered your current camera, a newer one will provide the tools to grow.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #268640 by KCook
Basic technology, yes. Example: I just got my first monolight. And I do feel that certain restrictions might be lifted compared to my speedlight. But within any one facet of technology, no. I would like a better camera body, but I don't believe a better body would make a key difference. Basics first.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 3 months ago #268655 by Zeke Menuar
When I bought my D3100 I figured if I didn't know what a particular feature was I probably didn't need it.

Two years on I'd like to have bracketing and auto-exposure. I can do a work-around with the D3100 but it would be a whole lot easier if the camera came with it.

But I haven't mastered the D3100 so there won't be a D7000 in the foreseeable future.

Right now I need a better tripod and an ultra-wide lens worse than I need a new camera.

I'm happy with the rest of my gear.

11 years 3 months ago #268664 by garyrhook

Fishtaco wrote: But I can't help to think that with newer technology that certain restrictions might be lifted or made easier to get around. Do you feel the same way about technology?

Without a clear understanding of what those restrictions are, and how a newer piece of equipment will alleviate them, it's not clear why there's any point in moving on from the D200. What, exactly, are you looking for?

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #268666 by Joves
You mean besides having the cleaner high ISOs as an option, not one bit.

11 years 2 months ago #269033 by Henry Peach

Do you ever feel your photography equipment is holding you back?

I thought so for the first decade or so of my exploration of photography. Eventually I wised up. Go ahead and buy the new camera though. The only way I was able to get over my gear obsession was to buy a bunch of it, and still take lousy photos. ;)
11 years 2 months ago #269151 by Happy-pixel
Same here, first few years I always thought if I had the lasted and hottest camera and lenses that my photos would reflect that. I was wrong, experience is the big factor, not gear.

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #269167 by Stealthy Ninja
No, my 1Dx, 24-70 2.8L II and 70-200 2.8L IS II aren't holding me back.

:p
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #269190 by Lightpuller

Baydream wrote:

effron wrote: A D600 won't make you a better photographer, just offer you better tools..... ;)

:agree: Higher ISO for low light. Higher capacity sensor. Faster burst and much more. You are right that if you have mastered your current camera, a newer one will provide the tools to grow.

Cameras aren't tools, they're more like boxes that light come in. I wouldn't use one as a tool. c

11 years 2 months ago #269234 by Leilanee

Stealthy Ninja wrote: No, my 1Dx, 24-70 2.8L II and 70-200 2.8L IS II aren't holding me back.

Gimme :catfight:

11 years 2 months ago #269237 by Stealthy Ninja

Leilanee wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: No, my 1Dx, 24-70 2.8L II and 70-200 2.8L IS II aren't holding me back.

Gimme :catfight:

u wish
11 years 2 months ago #269254 by digishutterbug
Unfortunately I hold back my camera!!!!!

11 years 2 months ago #269414 by Danny Carson

Happy-pixel wrote: Same here, first few years I always thought if I had the lasted and hottest camera and lenses that my photos would reflect that. I was wrong, experience is the big factor, not gear.

Count me on this too. Then realized I knew very little about what I had. Humbling moment but got me to read my manual!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024