What are must have gadgets that new photographers should have in their camera bag?

11 years 1 month ago #276084 by Jessa Layton
Being new to photography there is so much that seems over whelming. Matter of fact I got my first B&H catalog and I was blown away of how thick of a catalog there was for photography stuff. What would you say are must have items to have in a camera bag? Ideally lower price items.

:thx:

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #276087 by effron
Depends on what you shoot. I never leave home without a remote trigger, and a set of extension tubes. Also, throw that B&H catalog away, it will get you in trouble...... :P

...and if you don't have one of these, you should.... www.adorama.com/BKCHNKD7000.html

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #276094 by Jessa Layton
You aren't kidding. I have at least 11 pages that have bent corners with items that I think I want. I was reading about extension tubes, those are for macro photography mostly right? Right now I have 18-200mm and 50mm lenses. I hope to get more when my refund check comes in. Could extension tubes be used with either of my lenses?

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #276096 by Rob pix4u2
My camera bag contains pens/notebook, rain cover, small LED flashlight, Light Meter, Tripod wrench ( for tightening loose leg extensions), Polarizing filter, Small voice recorder, extra memory cards, remote trigger(wireless),
extra battery for the camera
battery charger
Flash w/ extra AA batteries
Camera body
lenses w/lens hoods
extra tripod attachment
lens cleaning cloths

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 1 month ago #276117 by Joves

Jessa Layton wrote: I was reading about extension tubes, those are for macro photography mostly right? Right now I have 18-200mm and 50mm lenses. I hope to get more when my refund check comes in. Could extension tubes be used with either of my lenses?

Yes those will work with both of you lenses. As Rob mentioned a good Circular Polarizer is good a good thing to have in really bright light, to kill of glare. What are you shooting though is the most important thing for us to know, that will help us with knowing what to suggest. Or better yet since you are just starting out, what are you most interested in shooting?

11 years 1 month ago #276263 by Jessa Layton
Thank you all for the tips. Now I was looking at polarized filters and see that they come in a wide spread prices. Actually a very big difference. Whats the difference in these?

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #276287 by effron

Jessa Layton wrote: Thank you all for the tips. Now I was looking at polarized filters and see that they come in a wide spread prices. Actually a very big difference. Whats the difference in these?

Quality. Really, don't spend money because you have some. Learn to use your gear and you'll know what you need soon enough. Extension tubes will be in your bag at some point if you're interested in close up/macro. You'll want a CP, just get a good one. (Not Chinese, for example). Tripod? Again, buy quality, or you will buy more than one..... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #276431 by Joves

effron wrote:

Jessa Layton wrote: Thank you all for the tips. Now I was looking at polarized filters and see that they come in a wide spread prices. Actually a very big difference. Whats the difference in these?

Quality. Really, don't spend money because you have some. Learn to use your gear and you'll know what you need soon enough. Extension tubes will be in your bag at some point if you're interested in close up/macro. You'll want a CP, just get a good one. (Not Chinese, for example). Tripod? Again, buy quality, or you will buy more than one..... ;)

:agree:
Yeah no kidding. The only cheap thing I have bought recently was a tripod at Big Lots for $10 to use as a disposable Speedlight support for off camera flash. And that is all it is good for.

11 years 1 month ago #276996 by Ian Stone
Lens cleaning pen

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #276998 by garyrhook
:agree: Awfully handy, small enough to stick in a back pocket as well.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #277262 by Damon
bag of micro fiber cloths

11 years 1 month ago #277533 by Jessa Layton
Thanks again for all the input everyone. Very appreciative of them.

Photo Comments
11 years 4 weeks ago #278194 by cordfish
Personally I love my remote shutter release. Opens up new possibilities!

10 years 11 months ago #284103 by jnewell
If you're lightning and high speed photography fan like me, you hvae to have Nero Trigger in your bag for cool shots in 6 different modes. I read it on gizmag and ever since i want it.
You should check it out here www.nerotrigger.com/#/home

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024