Getting good bokeh from 18-200mm lens?

11 years 1 month ago #276207 by FunnyGuy
I've been trying to get some shots that have good bokeh to them with my 18-200mm lens and just not getting the results I wanted. With the 105mm I can manage to get some OK bokeh. I know the 18-200mm might not be the best lens out there, is that to say that 'middle of the road' lenses have a more difficult time with bokeh?

11 years 1 month ago #276248 by garyrhook
The 18-200 is a wonderful walk-around lens, excellent for vacations and sightseeing if you don't want to carry a bunch of equipment.

A portrait lens it is not.

Bokeh depends heavily on aperture, distance from camera to subject, and distance from subject to background. To a lesser extent it depends upon the sensor, but the math behind it indicates that, for good composition, that's a minor component.

Fundamentally, it's a geometry problem aided by a wide aperture. The 18-200 only opens up to f/3.5, and at longer lengths closes to f/5.6. That's not real wide. Your 105mm, OTOH, opens to f/2.8 (or f/2?). That's a big difference, and has a huge impact on results.

That said, with your 18-200 choose a focal length and open the aperture as far as possible. For longer focal lengths you'll need to back up from your subject, and you'll want your subject even farther from the background. For shorter focal lengths you'll get closer, but distance behind the subject still works to your benefit.

There's only so much you can do with that lens; that's why they make a 20-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8. Or pickup a 50mm f/1.8 (which are very modestly priced) for something shorter and faster than what you already own. The 105mm is a good choice for portraits, but may be a bit long for you?

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #276253 by garyrhook
I'll post some examples of using an 18-200, which I had on a trip to Italy last summer.

Not being sure if the EXIF data is attached, this was 112mm @ f/5.6, 1/400 s at ISO 100. I was only a few feet from the pike, but the castle was quite far away. Plenty of blur, but not incredibly so.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #276256 by garyrhook

95 mm @ f/5.3, 1/250 s at ISO 3200. The table of candles was only perhaps 6 or 8 ft long, but you can see that the far flames begin to do what you want in good bokeh. (The focal point is the candle more or less in the middle, with its wick right in front of another taller candle.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #276259 by garyrhook

42mm @ f/4.5, 1/1600 s at ISO 400. In this shot of a friend the background is nicely separated, but you can still tell where we are. I was only a few feet in front of my friend on a narrow foot bridge; you can see me and the other tourists reflected in her glasses. I should have switched lenses to get a better portrait.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #276264 by garyrhook

For comparison, here's a shot using my Tamron 28-74 f/2.8 lens. 75mm @ f/2.8, 1/200 s at ISO 800. I was only a few feet away from the statue, and the wall was not far behind, less distance than between me and the subject. And yet with the wider aperture one can get a shallow DoF and a reasonably blurry background. It only gets better the more control you have over the environment.

I hope this little tour has been helpful.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 1 month ago #276280 by Screamin Scott
The number of aperture blades a lens has & their shape also plays a big part in pleasing Bokeh...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024