Best way to photograph fireworks with no tripod?

10 years 11 months ago #281877 by Chris Ly
What is the best way to take photos of fireworks with no tripod? We always on water during 4th of July, which your free holding what camera you have. My photos have never come out good. This year going to have my T4i for the first time so hoping I can get better photos.

Thanks for the help

Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #281888 by garyrhook
There are lots of tutorials on photographing fireworks on the web; google for them. I believe most of them involve long shutter speeds, however, which is not going to work on a boat. Even high ISO won't help if you have to leave the shutter open for a while.

Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #281946 by Baydream
I have used other supports (like a fence post or similar object) to steady the camera and get longer shots.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #282332 by Chris Ly

garyrhook wrote: There are lots of tutorials on photographing fireworks on the web; google for them. I believe most of them involve long shutter speeds, however, which is not going to work on a boat. Even high ISO won't help if you have to leave the shutter open for a while.

This is correct, but I couldn't find a clear answer for when you are on a boat and getting good shots. Which is why I posted the question here. I'm guessing it's not very possible if your on a boat that is rocking around?

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #282813 by Ian Stone
If your shooting on a boat, wouldn't the only solution be higher ISO and wide aperture?

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #282865 by garyrhook

Chris Ly wrote:

garyrhook wrote: There are lots of tutorials on photographing fireworks on the web; google for them. I believe most of them involve long shutter speeds, however, which is not going to work on a boat. Even high ISO won't help if you have to leave the shutter open for a while.

This is correct, but I couldn't find a clear answer for when you are on a boat and getting good shots. Which is why I posted the question here. I'm guessing it's not very possible if your on a boat that is rocking around?

My apologies if my previous post was unclear.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. If the requirements are a steady tripod and a long shutter time, then the conclusion is that it would be impossible to perform this activity on a boat (of any kind, as far as I'm concerned). Boats don't stay still, they move. You need your camera to be absolutely still to do what you want.

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #282866 by garyrhook

Ian Stone wrote: If your shooting on a boat, wouldn't the only solution be higher ISO and wide aperture?

Again, shooting fireworks is about long shutter open times. Higher ISO and fast glass are required, yes, but there's a 3rd leg that you must consider in that triangle.

Photo Comments
10 years 10 months ago #282911 by Rob pix4u2
Gary gave advice that was spot on. You need the camera to be rock steady to get good fireworks pics.

I alwaays mount the camera on a tripod to have the best chance for success

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
10 years 10 months ago #282946 by Joves
Well the only solution would be one of those steady cam mounts that you wear on your person. Or you use a tripod with a ballhead running it loose, then you pick something that you keep your AF point on as a reference for framing, i.e such as a building, bridge, or land if the lens is wide enough. This though in my mind would ruin being there as it will take a lot of concentration to compensate for the rocking. Also it depends on the type of boat as well, a house, or pontoon boat is much more stable over a speed boat. And then there is the traffic on the water. But my first solution is most likely the only one with a remote chance of success. You might see if any of the rental places have one they rent.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024