Cameras getting used in the rain

10 years 5 months ago #301119 by Chris Ly
With the wet season coming around the corner, I wanted to see how do you all handle the times when you are caught out in the rain with your camera. Is it OK to get a little wet? I was thinking the body would be OK, but what about the seal from camera body to lens?

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #301129 by Shadowfixer1
It all depends on the quality of camera you have. More expensive ones are sealed. I keep small plastic bags with me for cover.
10 years 5 months ago #301491 by StephanieW
This is a topic I'm interested in too. Any tips on rigging a bag over it? I just moved to a place with actual weather (Californian born and raised) and once winter starts up I won't be able to resist running outside and snapping some shots. My roommate might yell at me if tornado sirens go off but... weather! Gotta capture it lol

I have a canon 30D. It's expensive to me, but not top of the line or anything so it'd probably need protection.

10 years 5 months ago #301747 by J Hemingway
If you are going to be in the rain, get yourself one of those rain covers for your camera. They are inexpensive and disposable.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #301777 by Joves
I have never really worried about it myself. I have shot in the rain with every camera I have had. But not in pouring down rain, well except for the D300, that has been in down pours. My other cameras went under my jacket, or in the bag when it poured. A big ziplock will work with some rubber bands around the lens. Just cut a hole for the glass to look out of. I worry about the lenses getting moisture in them over the body. If you get a lens that starts to cloud on the inside, then you are in trouble. It will eventually clear up, but it takes a longtime in dry environment.

10 years 5 months ago #301901 by hghlndr6
:agree:
Like Dennis, I don't worry about it. I (and my gear) just get wet.
10 years 5 months ago #302141 by StephanieW
You guys are far braver than I am. But you all are also far more professional than I am so I trust you. Pretty excited for the spring when the weather supposedly gets really crazy here.

10 years 5 months ago #302147 by shelland

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

10 years 5 months ago #302155 by robbie

Joves wrote: I have never really worried about it myself. I have shot in the rain with every camera I have had. But not in pouring down rain, well except for the D300, that has been in down pours. My other cameras went under my jacket, or in the bag when it poured. A big ziplock will work with some rubber bands around the lens. Just cut a hole for the glass to look out of. I worry about the lenses getting moisture in them over the body. If you get a lens that starts to cloud on the inside, then you are in trouble. It will eventually clear up, but it takes a longtime in dry environment.

:agree: :goodpost:

10 years 5 months ago #302343 by Tony Imaging

shelland wrote: www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469774-RE...insleeve_set_of.html

For the price, you can't get any better IMO

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #302563 by StephanieW
Wow that's excellent! Tornado season here I come.

I can hear my roommate yelling at me to "GET INSIDE" already. I hope I don't die this spring.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024