Which is better?

9 years 8 months ago #386319 by Joe Vertz
A high resolution camera with higher noise or a lower resolution camera with less noise?  This topic came up in my photography Meetup group yesterday and became a melting pot of opinions, but little clarity at the end.  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #386325 by Shadowfixer1
Lower Rez with lower noise for me.
9 years 8 months ago #386377 by KCook
Resolution and noise are about the last things I consider in camera selection :pinch:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 8 months ago #386393 by Hassner
You can always enlarge a good photo, but even with noise reduction it leaves an unsharp image.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #386411 by garyrhook
With a higher resolution starting point you can apply noise reduction then down-size the image, effectively "hiding" the shortcomings.

That said, I'll go with "it depends."

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #386897 by william_cpa
That is a very interesting question because you are comparing what the camera manufacturers marketing departments ideally want you to compare. Your lens will make a ten times bigger difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pcheng311
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #386903 by Stealthy Ninja
Larger MP cameras' images when reduced in size down to that of the lower MP, less noise camera, can produce similar if not the same results as the lower MP camera.

I showed this when I compared the D800 to the D3s:
www.aidavproductions.com/articles/D3svsD800.html

My conclusion at the time:
I feel resized the D800 up to 6400iso is VERY close to the D3s. This means the D800 can be used along side the D3s without too much trouble. The advantage of the D3s being smaller file sizes and a faster FPS (9 vs 4). The D3s should be good for sports and events and times where you don't need the 36MP resolution of the D800. The D800 on the other hand is great for landscapes, portraits, cropping and even low light. This makes the D800 a very versatile camera.

However, after 6400iso the D3s seems to break away a little. 6400 is the max native iso that the D800 will do, so after that it's being artificially boosted. This is probably the reason for the difference. So if you need to shoot 12800iso or higher on a regular basis, or you shoot events/sports then the D3s is a good way to go.
9 years 7 months ago #392595 by Crammer

william_cpa wrote: That is a very interesting question because you are comparing what the camera manufacturers marketing departments ideally want you to compare. Your lens will make a ten times bigger difference.

:agree: :goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #394671 by Number 7

Hassner wrote: You can always enlarge a good photo, but even with noise reduction it leaves an unsharp image.

:goodpost:

Photo Comments
9 years 7 months ago #394780 by NicoIa

william_cpa wrote: That is a very interesting question because you are comparing what the camera manufacturers marketing departments ideally want you to compare. Your lens will make a ten times bigger difference.

:agree:

9 years 7 months ago #394803 by Ido
I'd personally go with higher-resolution. Whenever I need to shoot in very dim light, I can simply export a downsampled file of similar resolution to the low-res image with less noise, making it, well, a low-res image with less noise. It may not be as good as the low-res camera's output, but if they are of similar quality (let's say, comparing the three Sony a7-series cameras), they shouldn't be far from each other when scaled to the lower resolution.

The high-res original image, when shot at a low ISO, lets me print larger than I would be comfortable with if I had the lower resolution image. So basically, the camera with the higher resolution sensor basically gives me more types of images in one.

That being said, there is a big advantage to lower resolution images that wasn't discussed here: They are much smaller files that are easier for the camera to move from the buffer to the memory card, so bursts can be held for longer periods of time, all things being equal. I have no practical use for that myself, as I won't hold a burst for more than two or three seconds at most.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024