Avoiding harsh shadows when using a flash

9 years 2 months ago #426243 by Mark T
What annoys me the most is the hard shadows that come from using a flash.  I bought one of those diffuser cups and that still doesn't eliminate the harsh shadows.  

I have done some searches and think I found the solution and wanted to confirm here.  If I get a softbox, will that work?  What size would I need to get in order to remove shadows, let's say when taking portraits?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #426248 by hghlndr6
Well, you're on the right track.  The larger the light source, the more diffuse the light will be and the more it will "wrap around" your subject and minimize shadows.  You might still need to provide some fill light.  A soft box will certainly help you but you can achieve good results by simply bouncing the flash off a large reflecting surface too.  I assume you have the flash off-camera?  I don't have a soft box; someone else can jump in here with a size recommendation.
9 years 2 months ago #426312 by garyrhook
A) Get "Science: Light and Magic" to learn more

2) It's about the relative size of the light source. Larger, relative to your subject, provides better light. See the above resource for details.

C) Diffusion to soften the light. Harsh shadows results from too many parallel light rays. Gotta bounce them around. I've heard speakers discuss 7' softboxes, which would be awesome.

Yes, a softbox is what you want, but a less expensive entry point is a reflecting umbrella and cover. You can get much larger for much less money. I like this:

www.paulcbuff.com/plm.php

and have the 64" Soft Silver with a diffusion cover. Love it. Works with either a strobe or speedlite.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #426356 by KCook
Outdoors there is not a lot you can do, except cozy your victim up to a light colored wall, or get the flash off the camera.  Indoors, in a small room with whitish walls or ceiling, you can splash light around.  Shoot-thru umbrellas splash the most.  Links for ideas -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/lighting-a...brellas-or-softboxes

www.lastoliteschoolofphotography.com/usi...20-inch-umbrella-pt2

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 2 months ago #426363 by ubookoo
Also depends on what shadows your are referring to. If you are talking about shadows under the eyes then adjust the angle of your light source. If you are speaking of shadows behind a subject, then pull them as far away from the background as you can.

9 years 2 months ago #426502 by Joves
If you chose to get the book Gary suggested, and are waiting for it. I suggest you poke around at this site strobist.blogspot.com/ , it is one of the best online guides on flash. There are many great ghetto setups, and how to use them there as well. I am one of those why buy much of this stuff, when you can improvise, and have fun types.

9 years 2 months ago #426541 by Shadowfixer1

Mark T wrote: What annoys me the most is the hard shadows that come from using a flash.  I bought one of those diffuser cups and that still doesn't eliminate the harsh shadows.  

I have done some searches and think I found the solution and wanted to confirm here.  If I get a softbox, will that work?  What size would I need to get in order to remove shadows, let's say when taking portraits?  

A diffuser cup helps a little but it's still a tiny light source. If you are talking about having the flash mounted on the camera, the best thing is to get it off the camera and up higher with a flash bracket. You can get a number of accessories to help diffuse the flash, from blow up soft boxes, light benders to one of the Fong type products. If you have a white or light colored ceiling, the best thing to do is just tilt up the head and bounce the light. Specify more what equipment you're using for better, more specific recommendations.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024