Need help with what filters to get

8 years 8 months ago #451328 by James F
I just got a Nikon D7200 and a 50mm lens and wondering what filters should I get for starting out?  I was told filters come in handy and the rep I spoke to told me some filters, but honestly I did write the names down.

Can you help me please? 

Thank you

James

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #451336 by effron
A good circular polarizer is a must. Then it depends, if you plan on landscape photography a good set on ND filters is important. I'd get a Lee like holder system and avoid the screw on type. Expect to spend a few bucks on quality filters, or you'll end up with a collection and have a few cheaper ones you won't use....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #451352 by KCook
When first starting out a UV (clear) filter is not a bad idea.  End up cleaning grunge off the filter instead of the nice lens.  As time goes by expect to come around to leaving filters off, except for the worst environments.  At least that was my experience.

I have a couple of polarizing filters and a few ND filters.  Very rarely find a need for any of them.  Starting out I would spend my initial $$ on nice photo editing software instead of a bunch of expensive filters.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 8 months ago #451365 by garyrhook
A UV filter does little but add a protective element to the front of your lens. If you're going to do that, don't buy a cheap one, as you don't want to degrade the image quality with cheap glass.

As Kelly said, though, you'll probably stop using it after a while. Save your money.

A decent circular polartizer (CPL) can help with glare, reflections, and sky color. Worthwhile. Do some studying on the use of ND filters before you decide to invest. They come in handy for midday shots as well as long exposures when there's a lot of light. If all you need is a touch of stopping, a good variable ND might be a good fit. Again, don't skimp, and learn its limitations.

Get a good neck strap, harness/bandolier, or wrist strap. Lose the neckstrap that came with the camera. Get a decent camera bag. Get more than one SD card. Get a spare battery.

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #451382 by Don Fischer
I have never put a filter on one of my digitals. But dug some out the other day to shoot some film in my 645 and found my Cokin Polarizer filter. Have another some where that screw's. If your gonna shoot B&W in your digital, I'd get a yellow, orange and red filter. I found I have a sunset filter and no reason why. Also a gradual density filter and have never used it, but I gottem' boy! The only one's I've used much were the polarizer and the orange and red with B&W. Yellow is supposed to improve contrast in B&W a bit but never did for me that was noticeable. The really dark sky's with white cloud's in Ansel Adams photo was supposed to be made using a red filter. I think on the movie I have about him it say's he was the first to try a red filter.

8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #451403 by KCook

Again, don't skimp

As a hopeless cheapskate, my thinking is just the opposite.  I refuse to dump $100+ into a filter that I will hardly ever use.  So I get the cheaper ones.  Do they degrade the image?  Why yes, they do, a little.  But I have never expected my images to end up hanging in a gallery.  On the rare occasion when I actually need the ultimate in IQ, I simply leave the filters in the bag.

grump

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 8 months ago #451439 by James F
First let me thank you all for the advice.  You kept me busy this evening looking around at these different filters.  

This turned up some other questions:

1.  How do you know which brand is best?
2.  I'm sure this based on budget, but what is a good price point for a example a Polarized filter?
3. I noticed some filters are glass and some are plastic, does it make a difference? 

I can't thank you enough for your help!

J

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #451451 by Don Fischer
There is no best in anything. There is expensive, inexpensive and middle of the road. I never get the expensive anything, couldn't afford it if I wanted to. Look for the mid range in price and you'll be in the right area.

8 years 8 months ago #451458 by KCook
My polarizing filters are Tiffen (glass) (our B+W fans just had coronaries). Of course price depends on size. I just paid $22 USD for a new 58mm.

Do these degrade the image? Yup, when pixel peeping. Does that mean they are useless junk? Not to me. But, once again, I don't expect my stuff to hang in galleries.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 8 months ago #451470 by garyrhook

James F wrote: This turned up some other questions:
2.  I'm sure this based on budget, but what is a good price point for a example a Polarized filter?
3. I noticed some filters are glass and some are plastic, does it make a difference? 

1. You do research to see what people say, including reading reviews. And ask for suggestions. In general, the B&W are pretty well regarded.
  2. Minimum $75, it seems, for middle of the road. But it's not clear that a decent filter will cost an arm and a leg. Also check out Craig's List for used.
  3. The end result is what matters, I suppose.

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #451506 by JeremyS

James F wrote: First let me thank you all for the advice.  You kept me busy this evening looking around at these different filters.  

This turned up some other questions:

I can't thank you enough for your help!

J

There is differences between brands but also differences between sizes. A decent price for a 77-84mm  Circ Pol filter could run you 140-210$ however a smaller 58mm filter could be 60-70$.

As for brands I reccomend, I use Hoya, I stay away from kenko, cokin and anything else that futureshop/best buy/walmart sell. B&W and Lee, as well as a couple others are also highly regarded in the filter industry. 

As for the ideas of getting yellow/red/green filters, don't bother, in lightroom there is sliders which will replicate all that those filters can do but with more flexibility. 

8 years 7 months ago #452022 by Jessy Page
IMO, UV filters are worthless use of $$

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452848 by Don Fischer
Ya know, I've got a bunch of filter's laying around here left from film days. Love a polarizer and for B&W film, red and orange. I've got a sunset filter that I have no idea why I bought it. I have one of those split filter's that's dark on top and clear on the bottom. I have never put a filter on a digital camera, not that it might not help but the only one I can find a use for is the polarizer! Problem with filter's is most are to expensive to play with. There's filter's in the B&H catalog from about $30 on up to well over $100. that's a bit high for me to get one just to try out. In fact the split density filter was recommended to me yeas ago and I have never found a use for it. There's no need for yellow, orange or red any more unless you are shooting B&W film. I've never owned one of those clear filter's that mostly protect the lens either but That one I could see! Keep it on and in theory, you never haver to clean the lens itself after the first time, just clean the lens. It's called a haze filter and expensive as it is, it's a whple lot cheaper than a lens.

8 years 7 months ago #452977 by Joves
For screw in filters I always get glass, and I always go for the upper price point with multi coating. I am not going to put  a bad glass element in front of my expensive lens.
For my square Neutral Density, and Graduated ND filters resin is fine. I do not even have a holder, I just hand hold it over the lens.
But the CP should be your first filter, it will get the most use. Hoya makes a fine filter, as does B+W, and even their mid priced filters are good quality. Also if you plan on getting more lenses, they you may want to get a larger sized filter than you need, and buying a stepping ring to use the filter on multiple lenses. You will need additional rings for various sized filter threads, but the same filter will work on many lenses that way. Saving money over all, and saving room in your bag.

8 years 7 months ago #452979 by Screamin Scott
A point to remember is that all filter makers make  different grades of product. "Consumer" grade & "Pro" grade. Make sure your comparisons are apples to apples, not apples to oranges....Here's a link to a slightly outdated Polish review of CP filters, but results are still relevant...
www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test.html

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024