Getting a grasp on understanding what lenses you need? (beginner)

8 years 6 months ago #452425 by James F
Hey everyone,

So last week I shared that I'm new to photography.  I  was wondering today, how did you know what lenses to buy when you first got started?

I'm floored with how many options there are, and really good use your help.

Thank you 

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452451 by icepics
I started out with a 50mm prime lens, then a 135mm short telephoto. That's what I use a lot, it depends on what you like to take pictures of.

Probably once you get into it you'll start figuring out what else you need - what you realize you'd like to do but can't do with the first lens. I like a nice sharp prime lens, and don't like or use zooms, but some people like those.

Buying used has sometimes been a good option to get a decent lens at a good price. You can always later sell or trade in a lens to get another. KEH is reliable, and Adorama or B&H have used depts.

Sharon
Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452477 by garyrhook
:agree:

Until you understand the exposure triangle, and depth-of-field, stick to the kit lens and work on learning. You will also, at the same time, gain an understanding of what you want to shoot. Subject matter has an affect on lens choice, too.

Yes, used, can be helpful. But you need to know what you want and why first. And you need to get your camera out of auto mode.

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452488 by Patrick G
Do you know areas of photography interest you?

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452531 by Robert Hardy
Completely depends on what you enjoy shooting.

Aside from some all good around lenses:

50mm, 70-200, and 105mm

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452649 by MM Images
Oh I agree, 70-200mm is a must have in every camera bag

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #452659 by Screamin Scott
What's your budget & what do you like to shoot at this point ?....A lot of people will suggest wide angle zooms. Good for a lot of shooting but they come with compromises (unless you get the most expensive & then they still have compromises, just not as many ). ..I see you are using a D7200. That means you can use older manual focus lenses as well, (which will save money over the latest & greatest iterations). I use a whole stable of older glass...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #452738 by garyrhook
This person:

austin.craigslist.org/pho/5167353574.html

(A quote, for when the CL listing disappears)
Following is included:

Nikon D7100 body, Battery, charger, neck strap

Lenses:

Nikon 18-55mm VR
Nikon 18-140mm VR
Nikon 55-200mm VR
Sigma 70-300mm Super MACRO
Nikon 35mm F/1.8G
Nikon 50mm F/1.8G
0.43x wide angle converter lens
2x tele converter lens

Accessories:

Camera bag,
52 inch Tripod
Two 8gb SD card

clearly went out and bought a full complement of equipment, all at one time, that he thought he needed (or some clever salesperson convinced him was needed). Now he wants to sell it all. And he's asking too much money for common, low-end equipment.

Don't be that guy.

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452745 by Screamin Scott
Right on the money in the assertion that it's low end equipment.... Except for the camera & maybe the primes

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #452837 by KCook
Lately I've been renting lenses for a trial run.  Before making up my mind on a purchase.  Different strokes for different folks.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 6 months ago #452847 by Don Fischer
Ya know, at your point I would get two of the lenses I have for my D7000, a 18-140 and a 55-300 or even a 70-300. Every length between 18 and 300 is there with a good overlap from 55 to 140 mm. of course them you could also get an 18-300 an cover it all with one lens. I think probably where you go with photography you might be able to justify what people think are better lenses, I can't afford them and I got the same length's lenses between 18 and 300. If I could afford it, I would have those high dollar lenses too. Weather or not my photo's would get any better, I haven't a clue! But I'd be sure it's me then and not the lens.

BTW, my 18-140 I use as a walking around lens. The 55-300 I use for the dog photo's I take because I need the longer reach. the carry around 18-140 is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the 55-300.

8 years 6 months ago #453444 by Nathan D
Master the 50mm, then jump off onto others

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024