How to avoid overblown skys?

8 years 7 months ago #452805 by Harper Coswell
I have noticed in many of my day shots, that the sky get's overblown.  How can I avoid this from happening and yet still have my photo exposed correctly?

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452836 by Screamin Scott
Spit Neutral Density filters. Preferably the square ones as it's easier to position them where you need them. The screw in type limit where the effect can be placed. You can also control it somewhat in post processing...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452838 by KCook
I check the histogram.  If the brightness range is just too much, then I AE bracket and fuss over it all later in post.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 7 months ago #452882 by garyrhook

Harper Coswell wrote: I have noticed in many of my day shots, that the sky get's overblown.  How can I avoid this from happening and yet still have my photo exposed correctly?

We don't shoot midday or in open sun. If we must, we expose for the sky and use fill flash to light our subject.

We like the golden hour and cloudy days because the light is more balanced.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452904 by Stealthy Ninja
Underexpose on purpose.
8 years 7 months ago #452933 by KenMan
You are talking about a graduated ND filter right?

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452934 by Screamin Scott
Yes  

KenMan wrote: You are talking about a graduated ND filter right?

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452946 by Screamin Scott
While true, the photo ops are not always as controllable as we'd like.... Particularly for those shooting assignments for others like
outdoor weddings, et al...

garyrhook wrote:

Harper Coswell wrote: I have noticed in many of my day shots, that the sky get's overblown.  How can I avoid this from happening and yet still have my photo exposed correctly?

We don't shoot midday or in open sun. If we must, we expose for the sky and use fill flash to light our subject.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452976 by Joves
Then there is also the Circular Polarizer as well. Really depends on where the lighting on the subject is coming from. You can also use additional lighting sources if the subject is not lit from the front as well.

8 years 7 months ago #453014 by Rawley Photos
Pick  yourself up a soft edge graduated ND filter, that will do the trick for you.  

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #453068 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: While true, the photo ops are not always as controllable as we'd like.... Particularly for those shooting assignments for others like

garyrhook wrote:

Top posting we are. Why?

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #453070 by Screamin Scott
Does it really matter ? Regardless, the quote is in a  block so it's not like the reply gets buried in the original post that is being quoted...Plus , on long threads, it saves excessive scrolling to get to the reply. Many sites ask people to trim the replies just for that reason, but to trim the quotes sometimes makes someone just viewing a thread to not know what is being replied to.... 

garyrhook wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: While true, the photo ops are not always as controllable as we'd like.... Particularly for those shooting assignments for others like

garyrhook wrote:

Top posting we are. Why?

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #453572 by effron
Learn to replace "skies" in post...Simple, effective and so what if the foto snobs call it cheating?.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #453650 by Nancy Hait

effron wrote: Learn to replace "skies" in post...Simple, effective and so what if the foto snobs call it cheating?.....:P

People who judge based on stuff like this crack me up.  Isn't photography about doing what makes YOU the photographer happy?  I say, if you want to swap out the sky with a more interesting sky, go for it.  lol  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024