Rule of Thirds, Yay or Nay?

7 years 9 months ago #488723 by DizzyGrizzly
I have some concerns. 

I'm trying to become a better photographer, but one thing always comes back around and leaves me confused: the rule of thirds. 

I've been told in comments on my photography and by my teachers that the rule of thirds is the way to go, but I read an article that sometimes it's better to brake that 'rule'.

I'm wondering, what circumstance is it best to break that rule?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

-Sarah

7 years 9 months ago #488724 by PhotoViking
Nobody can tell you when to break a rule - and when not to. With time you'll get an eye for it. Don't let the rules rule you, see them as general leads that are there to help you, not to rule you!

Festina lente!
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #488731 by phaller
Hi Sarah, I feel your confusion! Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the rule of thirds is best in *most* situations, but that like many rules in photography, they can be broken. I know I read somewhere that it's best to use the rule of thirds to shift the subject left or right, or up and down from the center. Then again, there are times when putting the subject smack in the middle of the photo is appropriate. Like Viking said, I think with time you will learn to see when the rule works and when it doesn't. I'm still getting there myself!

Good luck!

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #488739 by Hassner
The best way to learn is to shoot the rule of thirds with all the options, eg.
1. The horison 1/3 from the top. 2. The horison 1/3 from the bottom. 3. The "tree" 1/3 from the left, 4. The "tree" 1/3 from the right. Then do the same with the rule of 5ths, and the rule of 7ths. Now combine them. Eg, the horison 1/7 from the bottom, the tree 1/5 from the left, etc, etc. Go home and sit on your editing program and choose the ones that appeal to you. Do that all the time till you get confidant to start leaving out the ones that you feel will not work. Your eye will become trained in the feeling of balance. After 30+ years doing photography I still shoot a few combinations!

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #488779 by KCook
As a very rough rule, it's helpful most of the time.  But taken literally, it's hardly ever the way to go.  1/3 of the frame width is a location 1/6 of the frame width from the center to the edge of the frame.  Soooo, why is 1/6 always magic?  Not 1/10 or 1/8 or 1/5 or 1/4?  These just handy numbers, as is 1/6.  Links for more deep thoughts -

jakegarn.com/the-rule-of-thirds/

www.photocritic.org/articles/radical-subject-placement

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: DizzyGrizzly
7 years 9 months ago #488852 by SuzyM

KCook wrote: As a very rough rule, it's helpful most of the time.  But taken literally, it's hardly ever the way to go.  1/3 of the frame width is a location 1/6 of the frame width from the center to the edge of the frame.  Soooo, why is 1/6 always magic?  Not 1/10 or 1/8 or 1/5 or 1/4?  These just handy numbers, as is 1/6.  Links for more deep thoughts -

Kelly Cook

Thank you for these links! Very helpful for me :)

7 years 9 months ago #488881 by KCook

SuzyM wrote:

KCook wrote: As a very rough rule, it's helpful most of the time.  But taken literally, it's hardly ever the way to go.  1/3 of the frame width is a location 1/6 of the frame width from the center to the edge of the frame.  Soooo, why is 1/6 always magic?  Not 1/10 or 1/8 or 1/5 or 1/4?  These just handy numbers, as is 1/6.  Links for more deep thoughts -

Kelly Cook

Thank you for these links! Very helpful for me :)

If you prefer books to blogs, "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman covers this topic well.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 8 months ago #489982 by Lavender Photo
Hey!
Rule of Thirds can be tricky when you're first starting out. While it does usually make for great composition and a sense of balance in an image, it's not necessary to always abide by it. After all, rules are meant to be broken! Try shooting by the rules and against the rules and see what suits you best and produces the most effective images. :)

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490051 by Craig Stone
I break the rule when I want too, when I think a photo will look better framed differently.  I go for it.  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490117 by icepics
Probably your teachers are encouraging you to learn basics first and build your skills from there. The 'thirds' concept is one way to achieve balance in a composition so it can be a good basic to learn. Eventually you'll probably learn other aspects of good composition like how to use space, lines, shapes, etc.

To become a good photographer you'll need to learn and practice getting a proper exposure, how to frame shots, how to compose images, etc. - and practice til you can do all that consistently.

It's like for me with quilting, a 9 patch is a basic block that's often taught in classes. I learned how to do that - how to make the templates, piece the block, press seams properly, etc. Then I could use those basic skills to go on to doing more complex quilt blocks.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490150 by Shadowfixer1
Always use the rule of thirds until you have learned enough to know when not to use it. The overwhelming majority of the time, an image with the main subject placed near a power point will be more impactful than an image with the subject centered. Centering a subject usually means you are trying to show some kind of symmetry, more times than not. 
7 years 8 months ago #490161 by Tim Chiang
:agree: I couldn't have said it better.  When you understand what shadowfixer1 said, then you understand on the fly, when to break this rule.  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490253 by effron
I'll simplify....Yay!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490336 by rogdel
It's always important to take what your teachers and colleagues say with a grain of salt - like Lavender said, rules are made to be broken

That being said, your teachers are telling you to abide by the rule for good reason - I think others covered why that is in earlier comments

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #490452 by Fitch
If they shot requires it, in order to look good.  Then yes, I'll do what ever I feel like.  Nothing is set in stone.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024