Best 3 lenses for beginners?

7 years 1 month ago #517279 by Wayne Tidwell
What would you say are the 3 lenses for beginners should have in their bag for crop sensor camera?  

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #517570 by effron
You didn't mention what your interests are, but if anything like me a good landscape lens, probably a zoom, (10-20 or the like)  a macro (90 to 105) and probably a
70-200 or 70-300 telephoto zoom....Even with those a mid range zoom is missing.
There is rarely a "best" anything....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #517592 by KCook
If "beginner" means no clue on what subjects will end up being on the frequent list, then this would be my safe list -
  1. 18(16)-55(135,140) kit lens
  2. 55(50)-250(200) kit lens
  3. We are already at a wild card.  Some will want a fast prime, some a pancake prime, some a macro, and some an ultrawide angle (could be zoom).
Caveat on the #1 kit lens.  A few who are not really such beginners may want to replace that zoom with a f/2.8 constant zoom, or a 35(28)mm prime.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 1 month ago #517611 by Baydream
The question for beginners is what they intend to shoot. My go-to lens is an 18-200. For a beginner, I would add a 50 or 35 for low light and to spark creative control.

I started with the 18-55 kit and a 70-300 (both "retired"). Then I bought a 50. As I learned what I wanted to do, I added a 100-400 and then a 150-600. To cover landscapes and interior shots, I added a 10-20. I found that going on a shoot with just the 10-20 made me get very creative. Add a set of macro tubes if you want to shoot close. 

Still LOVE the 18-200.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #517701 by Screamin Scott
There really are no "best" lenses as people are different & the term is subjective. What's "best" for me, may not be for you. This makes me think of the old axiom "One person's trash, is another's treasure". The beginner needs to determine their photographic interests before delving into purchasing gear.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 11 months ago #525214 by Stic

Screamin Scott wrote: There really are no "best" lenses as people are different & the term is subjective. What's "best" for me, may not be for you. This makes me think of the old axiom "One person's trash, is another's treasure". The beginner needs to determine their photographic interests before delving into purchasing gear.

This is true.

One of the first lenses I purchased (at enormous cost new) was the 100-400L, but, as I was interested in shooting motorsport, this lens was a good fit for me and I still have it 14 years later...

Photo Comments
6 years 11 months ago #526654 by Roman Omell
Just one is all you need 18-200mm 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #537716 by Maxzz
my 'crop' list -in order from 'portretness' to 'indoorness' :
1. ef 85 1.8 usm - too long for indoor and not as flexible as 17-55. the lightest of 3. could be reused for FF later.
2. ef-s 17-55 f/2.8 is(!) usm - i like 55mm portraits from this lens at f/2.8-4 the best. the biggest of 3 and take expensive 77mm filters. the most expensive of three.
3. sigma ex dc hsm 30mm f/1.4 - great value for indoor and low light photos. slight af inaccuracy up to f/2.8. The fastest in terms of aperture of 3 and the still very pleasant 'bokeh monster' if persone positioned closer to the lens than to the background. cheapest one of three (used).
btw there is one more great inexpensive option - ef 40mm f/2.8 stm panckacke - nice, sharp, small and light tooo!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

Latest Articles

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024