Starter camera for teen

7 years 1 month ago #520164 by Camera Diva
I need to buy a gift for a close friend of the family.  Actually it's our baby sitter who has had some tough times and she'll be graduating school this year. Her parents got divorced during the last year, they lost their home, she had to drop out of 2 of the sports she loves.  Yet during all this, she maintained high grades and got a full scholarship for college.  

My husband and I would like to get her a decent starter camera in the range of $500-$750 to head off to school with.  Prior her families problems, she had been saving up and was ready to buy a camera. When all the money issues came up for their family, she used her camera funds to help the household out.  

Which would you suggest here?  

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #520167 by Screamin Scott
In that price range, you will only find either point & shoot models or base model DSLR's with a 18-55mm zoom. Most any of the base model DSLR's should work for her until she gets to know if she wants to pursue this further.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #520178 by W Cage
D5300

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #520249 by Nathan D
That or one of the Rebels from Canon.  

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #520261 by Baydream
I agree on the Canon T series as a really good start. The T5 with two lenses is currently at $500
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1135402-R...s_rebel_t5_dslr.html

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #520282 by icepics
Is there any way you can have your camera out sometime and start up a conversation? Like about a lens you're thinking about getting or something?  

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #520290 by KCook

icepics wrote: Is there any way you can have your camera out sometime and start up a conversation? Like about a lens you're thinking about getting or something?  

Good point.  Get some idea of the level of photography that she wants to pursue.

I will be the oddball here.  I'm dumping my DSLR for mirrorless.  And there are quite a few mirrorless cameras in that price range.  But the differences between the mirrorless brands are much greater than between Canon and Nikon DSLR.  Of course I have no idea whether she would entertain the mirrorless path.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 1 month ago #520328 by Shadowfixer1
This would fit the bill perfectly and you would have money to buy accessories like a small bag, polarizer, better strap and spare battery.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1238282-R...d_e_m10_mark_ii.html
7 years 1 month ago #520389 by Neillien

Baydream wrote: I agree on the Canon T series as a really good start. The T5 with two lenses is currently at $500

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Glad to hear that she's been able to accomplish so much despite all of the issues she's facing! Hopefully she puts to camera to good use

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #520446 by No Show

Baydream wrote: I agree on the Canon T series as a really good start. The T5 with two lenses is currently at $500

Yeah that is a good deal.  +1

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #520642 by Paris Gal
D5300 and kit lens

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #520682 by Janos
Check with www.keh.com for deals on used gear.  You'll find plenty of options in your budget.  

Photo Comments
7 years 1 month ago #520765 by Harrison J
I'm going to recommend in another direction.  Sony a6000.  Small and more features.  

Photo Comments
7 years 4 weeks ago #521141 by effron
My oldest son began shooting my old Nikkormat FTN in the early nineties, and is quite into photography today. In fact, he's the reason I got back in, having gone digital in college, and showing me his new Nikon D70s. 
Lots of good deals on used gear, no need to go too overboard....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024