When to use Auto ISO?

7 years 2 weeks ago #523143 by Jake Rossman
When ever I have my camera in Auto ISO, any sort of darkness it jacks the ISO up into the thousands.  When I would have manually tried to move shutter speed or aperture a little first.  That way, not to get added noise.  Is there a priority system or a way to adjust how the camera determines when to move it?  

7 years 2 weeks ago #523159 by Shadowfixer1
Each manufacturer is different. Most have an upper limit on ISO you can set in the menu system. Set it to the highest you are comfortable using.
7 years 1 week ago #523476 by effron
Yeah, a max can be set but I've yet to find a situation where I need to use auto ISO....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 1 week ago #523514 by Crammer
Can you adjust the Auto focus ceiling?  News to me.  Time to dig out my manual!

Photo Comments
7 years 1 week ago #523573 by Number 7
I never use Auto ISO, I like to have control of ISO for control of noise.

Photo Comments
7 years 1 week ago #523831 by Ian Stone
Haven't used Auto ISO in long time.  My point and shoot which spends most of the time in Auto, is using Auto ISO.  But not my DSLR. 

Photo Comments
7 years 1 week ago #523852 by Hassner
Never used any auto exposure settings, only auto focus. If my eyes were like they were in my 20's, I would still be using manual focus too.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
7 years 6 days ago #523962 by Joves
:rofl: :agree:
Stinking old fart. But I too do not use them.
I never use Auto ISO, I bump it up when I need to, and then use the rest of my settings appropriately. I also use support when I need to as well. I know that is so old fashioned, but it has worked for a couple of hundred years, or almost a couple of hundred.

7 years 5 days ago #524090 by Shadowfixer1
I use it all the time or close to that. The camera will always pick the lowest ISO that works for your settings. Don't like the ISO it picked, then change your shutter and aperture. Some say they bump it up when they need to but all auto ISO does is bump it up for you. It's not like the camera just picks some random number out of the air. It's just one part of the exposure triangle.
7 years 4 days ago #524096 by Joves
Ah but if I have set the shutter, and aperture to what I want and it picks an ISO I do not like, why not just have control over that aspect? Some of us like to pick everything, and not have the camera do it for us. I even change the setting for my Jpgs in the menu such as the saturation, sharpness, and so on. My camera has seen one of the Auto Modes like once or twice over its life.
I do not see a need for auto, and even have a focusing screen in my D300. Using auto always feels like I am not a part of the process, could be that I tried it, and did not like it.

7 years 3 days ago #524250 by Shadowfixer1

Joves wrote: Ah but if I have set the shutter, and aperture to what I want and it picks an ISO I do not like, why not just have control over that aspect? Some of us like to pick everything, and not have the camera do it for us. I even change the setting for my Jpgs in the menu such as the saturation, sharpness, and so on. My camera has seen one of the Auto Modes like once or twice over its life.
I do not see a need for auto, and even have a focusing screen in my D300. Using auto always feels like I am not a part of the process, could be that I tried it, and did not like it.

If the camera picks an ISO you don't like then you would have had to make some adjustments to your settings to make it work anyway. If you set the shutter and aperture as you say, you will have to manually adjust the ISO for correct exposure because if you don't it will not be exposed properly. Auto ISO just does it for you and picks the ISO to make your shutter and aperture give the correct exposure. Exposure is exposure. You can pick two of the parameters and the third will need to be adjusted to make the correct exposure. It doesn't matter which 2 you choose, the third will need to float. If you manually pick ISO and aperture then shutter speed will need to adjust. If you pick ISO and shutter, the aperture will need to adjust. If you pick shutter and aperture then ISO will need to adjust. 
6 years 11 months ago #525390 by Neillien
Unfortunately, high ISO comes with the turf of shooting automatic...just have to balance it out on a situational basis.

Photo Comments
6 years 11 months ago #525421 by KCook

Neillien wrote: Unfortunately, high ISO comes with the turf of shooting automatic...just have to balance it out on a situational basis.

Not in my experience.  Auto ISO bias will depend on the camera brand.  They are not all the same.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

6 years 8 months ago #537704 by Maxzz
Since I am a Nikon user I had to ask my friend. This is what he had to say. “I believe you can only use exposure compensation in the Aperture and Shutter speed priorities with the 5D Mrk III. You can do this with the Canon 1DX. My Mrk IV does not support this either, but I wish it did. His best bet would be to use Aperture priority IMHO.”

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024