Best dslr camera for beginners?

6 years 9 months ago #529366 by Tim Dordeck
My first camera was picked up used and it was the best decision made.  The Canon 60D you can pick up for under $400 bucks is a good starter camera.   www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equipment/used-ph...2hqdQCFUKUaQodLIIIqw

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #529420 by Greg Friedman
What do you guys think of the Fujifilm 100T?

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #529487 by Richard K Photography
a6300 or Nikon D3400 or Canon t6

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #529552 by Chris Briggs
100% buy used for starting out, you'll save big $$ and have more $$ for glass. 

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #529694 by Jessa Layton

Shadowfixer1 wrote: The best one is the one that feels the best when they hold it. They also need to like how it operates when it comes to making adjustments and menu diving. Almost any camera today has enough image quality for whatever you want to do. The main thing to consider is the lens availability. Pick the lens system and then pick the body.

Yes, but not always the fact.  I've head some cameras that felt awesome but fell way short of keeping up with the bar.

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #529785 by Conner
Can you remember what your first camera was?  Rebel! 

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #529787 by Screamin Scott

Conner wrote: Can you remember what your first camera was?  Rebel! 

First SLR was a Nikon D70s

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #529819 by ThatNikonGuy
Good question D50 for me

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #529820 by KCook

Greg Friedman wrote: What do you guys think of the Fujifilm 100T?

I would love to have one just for street photography.  But I'm not crazy enough about SP to pay a price tag that big.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

6 years 9 months ago #529877 by garyrhook

Jessa Layton wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: The best one is the one that feels the best when they hold it. They also need to like how it operates when it comes to making adjustments and menu diving. Almost any camera today has enough image quality for whatever you want to do. The main thing to consider is the lens availability. Pick the lens system and then pick the body.

Yes, but not always the fact.  I've head some cameras that felt awesome but fell way short of keeping up with the bar.

Define "bar"?

The best camera is the one that is comfortable in your hand, and which has a system that makes sense. Clearly, that answer isn't the same for everyone. Given that most current entry level systems have pretty much the same features, I'm not clear on what you mean.

As for function/features, homework is still important. Going to a retail outlet that carries your candidate bodies means you can also ask questions about the different features. (I'm fortunate enough to live near the largest camera store in Texas...) And understand trade-offs, which are a given when starting out.

I tell folks to go hold and play with them. As a starter kit, that's IMO the most important component of the decision. Most buyers don't know enough to know what they'll need, so I always make it clear that photography can be a money pit. I encourage folks to get involved in a meet-up, as well, or at least find someone that they can ask questions of. 

A starter body can take someone through 3-4 years easily, with the addition of a lens or two (e.g. 50mm f/1.8 for a fast lens).

I could go on, but I'll stop here.

Photo Comments
6 years 9 months ago #529911 by Kenta
I'm with Gary on this one.  Good answer.  Nothing else to add. 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #532764 by larrygeorge
Your first camera does not have to be expensive. Also, remember it's not all about the camera. It's about the camera, lens, comfortability, and editing skills. The Nikon D300 is a great cheap starter camera that many photographers recommend. The Nikon D5300 is another beginner DSLR that many recommend http://wpvsblogger.com/best-camera-for-youtube/ . I recommend going to BestBuy and see which one feels best in your hand before making any quick choices. 

6 years 8 months ago #532821 by Ellon
+1 Or CostCo

6 years 8 months ago #533539 by boyce
Looking at the Canon EOS and Nikon D type of cameras

6 years 8 months ago #533540 by boyce

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024