Sunset camera settings when shooting directly at setting sun

6 years 4 months ago #553093 by Tsoto
Actually let me know if there should be filters used too please.  My shots are all over exposed and I miss the sun setting.  

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #553345 by Tristan R
Sounds like you need a grad ND filter

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #553644 by Joves
:agree:
Filtration is your friend at this point. It really depends on what you want out of the scene, do you want a silhouetted foreground, or do you want to see it with the SS? The graduated NDs are your best friends for the latter, and just majorly under exposing will work for the first. Though a full ND will give you better result for darkness.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Journey Photo Academy
6 years 3 months ago #558125 by stk
If you shoot RAW and expose for the sky, you should be able to recover the underexposed parts pretty well in post. At least that's what I do. As a safety you could also try exposure bracketing, then you'll have the option to go for HDR or just changing out the sky if needed.

Of course, underexposing and then raising it in post will introduce some noise, so graduated ND-filters have their usage, but cheap ones are cheap and they are all quite fiddly.

6 years 2 months ago #564067 by G Vernon
We shoot into the sun all the time, when we have a portrait subject we´ll use HSS and expose on the back ground - when shooting just a sunset we will auto bracket several, usually 5 exposures to nail highlights, midtones and shadows.
The other alternative is the ND filter which others have mentioned.
I think the other important point is to expose to the right anyway as trying to lift detail from shadow creates noise..

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #564774 by bones1
Can someone tell me, if your going to bracket for a sunset, say you are going to use 3 or 5 shots, are you going to bracket just exposure mainly, or also change other key settings. Next, am I pretty sure that when shooting HDR, you cannot shoot in RAW (at least the D7200)? This confuses me. Does HDR eliminate the need for extensive editing? 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024