Help choosing first DSLR

6 years 3 months ago #558296 by PatrickBCulhane
I am having a baby soon and considering, that I don’t have many pics of myself as a baby I would like to be able to take really nice pics of my new family. I’m also interested in taking some video as well. I’m also interested in taking macro shots of plants, insects and other animals. I would also like to be able to expand further to possibly getting into Astro photography. I know it sounds like I’m getting in over my head but I want to learn and be able to expand my abilities without needing to drop another chunk of money to get another camera on top of my first. Here are my choices. 
Nikon D3400 vs. canon SL2
Nikon D5600 vs canon T6i
any advice will help!

6 years 3 months ago #558353 by garyrhook
Either brand is a fine choice. Any of those choices is just fine. I've worked with a friend using a T6 to get shots of stars, so it's definitely possible.

Macro depends upon the lens, not so much the body.

You'll need to go to a store and hold the cameras in your hand. Consider Sony as well. Or even other mirrorless and micro-4/3 systems. Find that camera that is comfortable, feels natural, and makes sense to you.

It is possible to buy lenses that accommodate future bodies: e.g. moving from a Nikon crop sensor to full sensor doesn't have to mean changing all of your lenses if you bought good lenses in the first place. That becomes a budgetary concern, but you might want to consider a growth path. It may be that you never need to change bodies; some products (Olympus, others) are very good and will serve you sell for years without concern for an upgrade path.

Finally: interior shots usually mean low light, and thus require fast glass. A modest DSLR body and 50mm f/1.8 lens won't break the bank and is a popular and versatile starting point for a great many people. There are comparable options in other systems as well.

Congratulations on the new member of your family.

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #558355 by PatrickBCulhane
Thank you very much for the response. I’ve been researching for weeks! 

6 years 3 months ago #558377 by KCook
For video, Canon has an edge over Nikon. As a Canon shooter I sometimes envy Nikon lenses. Sony is a popular mirrorless choice. Panasonic (mirrorless) is tops for video, and easy to learn. But if you're super fussy about color, Panasonic will need a little help with a simple photo editor on your computer. Though for any serious photography they ALL need a photo editor.

Do any of your friends already have a nice camera? Get the same brand and you could compare notes.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 8 months ago #691998 by Will-Haryson
I have Nikon D5600 and it's really good. Especially, with add lences. Also, I've got some digital frame for my kids (it's cool to show this 'magic' when i scroll photos). I've got it here  https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/digital-photo-frames  Hope, it will be helpful for you

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024