Regarding resolution settings on my DSLR camera

6 years 2 months ago #568759 by Alfonso Camil
Good morning!  Post #1 for me here!!

I hope someone can help me please.   So I have a Nikon D7200 and brand new at photography as of 2 weeks ago.  Now if I have no plan to print any large photos and shooting in JPEG do I need the camera in the largest settings?

Can I have the camera set to the middle?  But will I lose any quality by doing so?

Thank you

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #568770 by garyrhook
JPG, by definition, implies some loss of quality. Given the low price of storage, if you're only going to shoot JPGs, keep the quality setting on "Fine". That way, you get the most possible out of that format.

And: welcome!

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #568803 by Alfonso Camil
Well I would shoot with RAW, but I noticed it's more difficult for me to view the photos.  I don't have any fancy post processing software and the RAW files won't open.  

I better start looking at that too. 

Hmmm, so addicting and so much to learn.  When you started, how soon did you move into RAW files?  

Thank you again for your help.  

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #568857 by garyrhook
I initially worked with a point&shoot to hone my composition skills (15-ish years ago) and to understand a bit about the exposure triangle. When I picked up a DSLR in 2011 I started out with RAW, got Lightroom, and have never looked back.

If you can find a local camera meet-up, go. Find other people to talk to.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #568860 by G Vernon
Shooting 8 bit .jpg even on full quality will compress your files enormously, you´ll only end up with around 25% of the data that`s normally available from a Raw file. We export from Lightroom and continue to edit in the 16 bit .tiff format which keeps structure intact. We also print in 16 bit .tiff and the Adobe colour profile - about the only time we make a .jpg copy is to send to the web.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #568895 by Alfonso Camil

garyrhook wrote: I initially worked with a point&shoot to hone my composition skills (15-ish years ago) and to understand a bit about the exposure triangle. When I picked up a DSLR in 2011 I started out with RAW, got Lightroom, and have never looked back.

Good tip, I'll start looking for one.   Did you attend any photography workshops? 

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #568897 by garyrhook

Alfonso Camil wrote:

garyrhook wrote: I initially worked with a point&shoot to hone my composition skills (15-ish years ago) and to understand a bit about the exposure triangle. When I picked up a DSLR in 2011 I started out with RAW, got Lightroom, and have never looked back.

Good tip, I'll start looking for one.   Did you attend any photography workshops? 

No, self-taught, but that involved lots of online research, participating in local PPA events (basically 2 hour seminars), finding a mentor, and lots and lots of trial and error. I'm also a software engineer and a musician, so many skills are applicable.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #568900 by Alfonso Camil
WOW your the real deal.  You mind me asking how long have you been at photography?  

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #568903 by garyrhook

Alfonso Camil wrote: WOW your the real deal.  You mind me asking how long have you been at photography?  

Not at all.

As I said, initial work was probably 3-4 years in the early 2000s; I forget exact dates. Bought my first DSLR in 2012, had a business set up in January 2013. Focused on portraits and events initially, started branching out to "art" (i.e. non-people) in 2015.

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #568989 by Alfonso Camil
Cool beans, very cool :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
6 years 1 month ago #569041 by Shadowfixer1
Always record the most information possible. Who knows when you may later be a real enthusiast and want to go back and re-work/manipulate some of your earlier images. No regrets to have info and not need it. Many regrets to not have the info, but need/want it.
6 years 1 month ago #571169 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Always record the most information possible. Who knows when you may later be a real enthusiast and want to go back and re-work/manipulate some of your earlier images. No regrets to have info and not need it. Many regrets to not have the info, but need/want it.

Correct, I'd recommend shooting Raw on one card and jpeg on the other. Storage is cheap now and you'll want to get into raw processing soon enough.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024