Old DSLR vs smart phone for young girl

6 years 1 week ago #576775 by Fugler
We are god parents to our neighbors kids, and their daughter has a interest in photography.  I know there is no comparison from image quality from a DSLR to smart phone.  However all these kids these days have a smart phone and she could learn the basics on that.  

Moving to the DSLR, she'll be using something she could grow into and get more use.  My wife says we should get her a phone. I'm leaning towards the older DSLR. 

Where do you stand?

Thank you for the help

Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago #576777 by Hassner
You do not mention the age. That would be my deciding factor.

But from 14, with enough passion, an SLR would be great.
Bodies like a 40D with a kit lens could be cheaper than the phone.

I do not believe there is much more to learn on a phone than composition.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 1 week ago #576780 by garyrhook
Leave the phone to the parents. Unless you get a RAW app (and the phone supports it) there's only so much you can do with it as a camera.

So, yeah, a real camera. Spring for an entry level body and a 50mm f/1.8 lens if you want to spend $600.

Photo Comments
6 years 6 days ago #577528 by Troponin
I attempted to use my iPhone for quite a while. With the right set up, you can get some good photos, however, it takes a LOT of work. When its all said and done, you spend a lot of time and work trying to get good shots, and they never really get THAT good. 

On my iPhone, even with the ProCamera app, I can’t adjust for aperture. 

On a final note, I attempted to get lenses for my IPhone to improve my shots. They actually started getting worse. The reason why is because some smart devices will use the second lens to sharpen up the photos. If you use the original app for the camera, you’re better off not using any lens at all. In RAW mode, with all adjustments being made, it’s REALLY hard to beat the camera doing this. 

I would find a used SLR. It will most likely be cheaper than a used smart phone, and it will keep her out of trouble. 

Photo Comments
6 years 4 days ago #577891 by Hassner
Half the fun is figuring out all the buttons and mastering it.
Playing with depth of field, slow shutter speeds...

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
6 years 4 days ago #577895 by icepics
If she's interested in photography I'd say get her a camera. That should help her learn to get proper exposures, etc. I think a phone would be more limiting.

I agree, I'd let the parents be the ones to decide on a phone, how much to spend on one, and depending on her age how much phone use to allow.

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 4 days ago #577897 by Screamin Scott
Learning will be easier with a DSLR as opposed to a phone camera...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 4 days ago #577997 by Adam Cuffin
I would go with the DSLR as well.  Smartphone seems more novelty where as the DSLR camera is serious business.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024