Help in choosing the camera

5 years 10 months ago #585197 by yonek
Hello everyone :-)

I am mesmerised by Leica M Monochrom (246), but can't really afford. Could you help me choose something similar, but maybe not as espensive as Leica?

Regards,
Jonah
dd

Leica M Monochrom Typ 246Leica M Monochrom Typ 246Leica M Monochrom Typ 246

5 years 10 months ago #585292 by fmw
Personally I see no point in choosing a digital monochrome camera when images can be converted to B&W easily and effectively with software.  So my advice is to abandon the concept of a monochrome camera.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #585294 by Shadowfixer1
1. Olympus Pen F if you are a jpg shooter. Very adjustable for black & white. 
2. Fuji X100F if you don't mind a fixed lens camera. 
3. Fuji XE-3 if you prefer interchangeable lenses.
All are good street photography cameras if that is your goal with the monochrome.
5 years 10 months ago #585315 by G Vernon
I don´t see the point, converting from color to B/W is easy using channels with software such as Silver Efex Pro which does a sterling job by also replicating various film styles..

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #585319 by Shadowfixer1
Maybe some people don't want to fool with processing is the one reason I can think of but the processing is part of the fun to me.
5 years 10 months ago #585320 by garyrhook
I don't know if the M Monochrom has the same feature, but some (dedicated) B&W digital cameras see non-visible light, which changes the way the tones are rendered. Everyone that I've heard discuss their use of said function (via podcasts) raves about the fact that the results are decidedly not identical to taking a color image and converting it.

I don't have any direct experience with the M, nor any dedicated B&W camera, but the point of them is that the are different, apparently.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #585322 by siodre
with the fuji cameras you can shoot in b&w.  the evf displays the image in b&w.  I know people who shoot raw but use the b&w jpg mode for shooting so they see the image in b&w even though the final image is in color.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #585409 by fmw

garyrhook wrote:
I don't have any direct experience with the M, nor any dedicated B&W camera, but the point of them is that the are different, apparently.

That is true.  While it is possible to do a color to B&W conversion with a single mouse click, it is also possible to adjust the color channels individually to produce nearly any effect you wish.  Most of what you read about them is marketing, not imaging.s  It reminds me of the audiophiles who change the connecting cables hoping to change the sound.  Digital photo editing has come a long way.

Below is an image taken near Phoenix.  After conversion to B&W I adjusted the blue channel to increase the contrast between the sky and clouds.  I also made a slight adjustment to the green channel to add some sparkle to the saguaro cactus.  Imagine how difficult it would have been to do this in a darkroom with dodging and burning techniques. 

There really is no point to a monochrome digital camera in my view.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 10 months ago #585429 by garyrhook
(Again, based on my understanding)

For the same reason we have infrared cameras, the monochrome cameras collect light differently, and intentionally include portions of the non-visble spectrum. Your example of a conversion (of a standard image) is not the same thing, unless typical DLSR sensors are collecting light differently than I understand. And I don't believe that's the case.

Sensitivity to various wavelengths is not marketing hype, it's a technical feature.

All that said, do I care? I've not seen actual evidence from said hardware that produces a compelling argument for me. But as I said, I've heard pretty avid (rabid?) enthusiasm expressed.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #585442 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: (Again, based on my understanding)

For the same reason we have infrared cameras, the monochrome cameras collect light differently, and intentionally include portions of the non-visble spectrum. Your example of a conversion (of a standard image) is not the same thing, unless typical DLSR sensors are collecting light differently than I understand. And I don't believe that's the case.

Sensitivity to various wavelengths is not marketing hype, it's a technical feature.

All that said, do I care? I've not seen actual evidence from said hardware that produces a compelling argument for me. But as I said, I've heard pretty avid (rabid?) enthusiasm expressed.

You are correct. Cameras that are made or have had the color array filters remove have a micro-contrast and clarity that is hard to duplicate. Put one of these prints beside a b&w conversion print and the difference can be seen. Now, having said that, if you didn't have a reference image from one of these cameras, you wouldn't know the difference in everyday use.   

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024