Are you using your histogram ever?

5 years 5 months ago #612047 by Kris W
Will photographers ever use it as the single tool to get correct exposure?  Meaning the work off getting the histogram perfect?  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612056 by Nikon Shooter
I wouldn't do with out it!

The histogram is my way to make sure all the values
are sitting well within the DR of the camera in use and
by how much to tweak the EV if necessary.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612069 by Troponin
When you say single, I’m not sure I follow. I use both zebras and/or histo frequently, but I wouldn’t limit myself to a single tool if another might suit better in some situations.

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612169 by NewavaMike
Besides the FLASH, it's the first tool I'm learning to pay attention to, so YES, I'm using mine.  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612170 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Kris

Running mirrorless systems, I can have the histogram visible in the viewfinder at all times - not just available on the preview image after the event. As I pan the camera across the scene I can see both the exposure settings move with the subject brightness, but also the histogram move left / right across its baseline ... therefore I know before the 'click' just what I am metering for and thus exposing for

So to answer your Q ... I wouldn't be without it as one part of the solution

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 4 months ago #612547 by Kris W
Good answers thank you all for taking the time on this one.  Question for those with the mirrorless, is that all you shoot?  Was that a big decision for you from DSLR?  I know this thread just took a turn, but seeing I have you, can't hurt to ask.  :)

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #612553 by effron
All the time....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #612746 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Kris

Another good Q mate :)
ps- have a sqwiz at my profile if you want some more background from me

I went mirrorless from the beginning of my digital stuff back in 2003 - when I abandoned my film cameras + a bevy of lenses and went for a fixed-lens superzoom whose lens covered the same sort of territory that the various film camera lenses also covered.

Sure - since this time SLR cameras & lenses & everything else has improved heaps & heaps - but I still use the superzoom as it performs everything that I want it to, easily and without too many issues ... and even expensive dSLRs have their issues also [size & weight]

Along the way I have also acquired a Pentax dSLR + 2 Sigma APO lenses - disappointed with the lenses so donated of it all to a beginner. I also have a Panny G2 mirrorless + 2 lenses - a great camera but now a bit aging and due to be given away soon as well

Currently I'm using the Panny FZ-200 [the 300 is current] and I enjoy it for 2 main reasons ... the constant aperture F2,8 lens right thru to its max of 600mm [film camera equiv] and the fact that Panny have kept it to 12mpx, so that noise is less of an issue. While most of my wall prints are 20" or 24" wide I do also the occasional 20" x 30" poster, the 12mpx is more than okay too

Hope this helps

5 years 4 months ago #612956 by KCook
I mix it up. Mostly mirrorless, but sometimes still haul out the old DSLR.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 4 months ago #612958 by G Vernon
Apart from the histogram,
many photographers / videographers use zebras and or false color to determine correct exposure.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #613102 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Kris

Just re-reading my waffle from my last post I have realised that I didn't mention one of the primary reasons for liking 'mirrorless' systems .... it is the EVF

The EVF is so far ahead of the optical VF it's like comparing the 2017 Ford motorcar with the 1957 Ford motorcar. On those occasions when I use an optical VF I find myself looking for all the extra bits of information - now missing from the display. I can cycle the display thru 3 choices of max-info - zero info - partial info ... all quite easily. The EVF will respond to brightness levels "very nicely, thankyou". I can set the system to momentarily display [or not] in the EVF the image just taken so that I can quickly check on 'blinks' when shooting people without moving the camera away from my eye.

There's heaps more, but that'll do for the moment

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024