Upgrade over Kit lens

3 months 1 week ago #620701 by Sma
Hi,I am using kit lens with D5200 since last 5 years, now I want to upgrade kit lens.Is Sigma 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Macro Lens worth upgrading?What about Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC PZD?I want a lens with quick focus and sharp images(Macro Lens preferred), so please suggest me some budget lenses.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 5 days ago #621313 by fmw
If your goal is high image quality, then a 10X zoom will not fulfill the requirement.  Stay with zooms in the 2-4X range.  I don't recommend lenses I haven't used myself so there is not point in recommending anything specific.  The longer the zoom range, the greater the design compromise.

Photo Comments

3 months 5 days ago #621330 by Maxzz

3 months 4 days ago #621522 by Jared-Weaver
Buy Nikon. 3rd party lenses will never be as good. 

Photo Comments

3 months 4 days ago #621530 by garyrhook

Jared-Weaver wrote: Buy Nikon. 3rd party lenses will never be as good. 

Well, that's actually not a supportable statement.

Sigma's ART line has at least one lens that is (arguably) superior to its Nikon counterpart. There are other examples.

If all third-party lenses weren't worth using, they'd all be priced very low so as to find buyers. And that's not the case.

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #622728 by Jared-Weaver
They're proceed lower because they're made with cheap materials.

I used three brands of 3rd party lenses in my almost decade of shooting, Sigma, Tameron and Tokina. All we're inferior to my Canon lenses in all categories. The Tokina especially was hot garbage. It was supposed to be the competition to the Nikon 14-24 F2.8 available in the big three mounts. Good lord the lens flare....... I'd throw away entire files of work with that thing because of the rainbows coming off the street lights. Shooting a sunburst? Forget it, the sun's rays would be curved. As for the other 2; loud, clunky and inaccurate. I've never known a single photographer who regretted upgrading to quality lenses made by Canon/Nikon/Sony. 

Lenses are almost a lifetime investment, do yourself a favor and save for quality, pro level glass even if you never intend to sell a print. Don't waste money trying to save a couple hundred bucks when you move past kit lenses. One amazing lens in your bag is better than 3 mediocre ones. 

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #623816 by fmw

Jared-Weaver wrote: Buy Nikon. 3rd party lenses will never be as good. 

That is a broad, sweeping statement without much truth.  While Nikon makes many outstanding lenses and some OK ones,  There have been many truly outstanding third party lenses made for Nikon.  Voigtlander and Zeiss are a couple of examples.  I have a couple Zeiss lenses that are about as good as lenses can be.and built much better than the Nikkors.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #625204 by Jared-Weaver
I was speaking in terms of lenses that a beginner would consider upgrading to from a kit lens there guy. 

I've seen you comment all over this forum and you seem to be the equivalent of the neghiborhood grumpy old man. 

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #625265 by garyrhook

Jared-Weaver wrote: I was speaking in terms of lenses that a beginner would consider upgrading to from a kit lens there guy.

And there are third-party lenses that would serve anyone well, as a modest upgrade. The problem with Tamron and Sigma (let's just be blunt here) is a reputation for inconsistent builds, and inconsistent QA. But both of them also make gear that is worth owning, even at the prosumer end.

I've seen you comment all over this forum and you seem to be the equivalent of the neghiborhood i]sic[/i grumpy old man. 

Oh, let's not. Okay?

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #625268 by Jared-Weaver
No no, let's do this. I'm getting tired of this guy and the condescending tone he puts out in his comments and critiques. 

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #625334 by garyrhook

Jared-Weaver wrote: No no, let's do this. I'm getting tired of this guy and the condescending tone he puts out in his comments and critiques. 

Speaking only as someone that can come across as arrogant while also having little patience for observed arrogance, I find it easier here on Pt to ignore those that appear to have an inflated sense of value and skill. Most of the time.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #625348 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

The OP sma - has posted this Q in several areas on this site, and I have added my thoughts regarding his needs on the other post.  I note that this posting has become one of "implied opinion" and "rebuttal"

One thing that is not mentioned here - and it applies to all of us every day of the year - is "buy the best you can afford".  If you are on a tight budget, then that settles your target - whereas if you can afford something 3 or 4 times more expensive, then that is your target and you as purchaser would expect the item to be so much better than the alternate item.  With the laws of diminishing returns, it would not be 3x or 4x better, but you would expect it to be "better".

May I say that since the mid 1960s as a Pentax user I have been using many 'brand-name' and '2nd-tier' SLR lenses and have experienced various ups & downs with lens quality.  I have found that all the Tamron zoom lenses I have used were equal to the Pentax 'Super Takumar' lenses.  In each of these cases, the Pentax lenses were around 3x more that the Tamron lenses

In recent years I have used Sigma APO lenses [18-135 & 70-200] on the Pentax dSLR [they all came as a package] and found them to be inferior to the Leica zoom lenses on the Panasonic bridge / superzoom camera the Pentax was replacing.

What I am describing above is actual usage and results - not wild opinions such as "3rd party lenses will never be as good"- and I would implore others here to do the same. Unsubstantiated wild opinions here & elsewhere do nothing to assist any discussion that is relevant to other parties

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 months 1 week ago #625349 by Jared-Weaver
My opinion as it were is based in a factual analysis gathered in my almost decade of shooting and having made what I view as a mistake of purchasing 3rd party glass when I could have just bought a 24-105 L series lens that would have been superior to the Tameron, Sigma and Tokina lenses I bought over the years. 

The two most improtant pieces of advice I will always give to new shooters who want to get further into the hobby are: 
1. Upgrade lenses before your camera. 

2. Glass should be your single biggest investment because it will outlast everything else if it's built well. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Recommended Gear

Forum Top Posters