Olympus OMD 10 Mark 2 + Samyang 24mm f/1.4 lenses = Blurred photos? Settings?

5 years 4 months ago #620888 by Bolog-Paul
Hey guys!
I own an Olympus OMD 10 Mark 2 in combo with Samyang 24mm f/1.4 lenses.
80% of my pictures in my last photoshoot in a studio came out very blurred/with sides of the subjects moving (although it was static or
barely moving).
Note that I adjusted perfect clarity and lighting through the Samyang lenses. The picture is just perfect in the camera eyesight, but it
comes out blurred.
What settings should I adjust on the Olympus camera in order to fix this?

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #620904 by GaryA
Most likely your shutter speed was set too low.

What was your shutter speed? Were all the elements of the image blurred or just the moving elements?  Can you post examples of the blurred images?

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #620959 by Bolog-Paul

5 years 4 months ago #620962 by GaryA
Looks like a shutter speed issue.  Definitely motion blur by the subject and possibly camera motion blur by the operator.  There is a shutter speed 'Rule of Thumb' to minimize camera blur, which is not to shoot at a speed lower than the reciprocal of the focal length.  If you're shooting an 50mm lens then your minimum shutter speed should not be lower than 1/50th of a second (round up to 1/60th). If you're shooting a 28mm lens than the shutter shouldn't be less than 1/28th of a second (round up to 1/30), 250mm then 1/250th et cetera.

Subject motion blur is a variable, depending on subject speed and distance between the camera and the subject. Generally, 1/125th - 1/60th is a minimum to stop slow motion, 1/125 to 1/250 is the minimum for medium and 1/500th+ for faster stuff.

But these are general numbers.  If you not sure, always ... always chimp.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

5 years 4 months ago #620963 by GaryA
PS- Okay, just looked at the EXIF.  Your shutter speed was 1/2 of a second.  Way too low for stopping subject motion and way too low to stop camera shake.

Start with the basics speeds above ... chimp and adjust if needed.

5 years 4 months ago #620995 by Shadowfixer1
As stated above, the shutter is way to slow for any motion. Being as it's a m43 lens, you need to double the shutter speed for static objects if you go by the old focal length/minimum shutter speed rule. I'm also curious if you actually obtained good focus since this is a manual focus lens. The main culprit though is shutter speed. Any motion at all and the shutter speed needs to be at least 1/125 second and that would be iffy at best. 1. Raise your shutter speed. 2. Verify you are actually achieving proper focus. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
5 years 4 months ago #621001 by GaryA
Shadowfixer is correct.  MFT's sensor is 1/2 the size of a 35mm film frame for which the rule of thumb was designed.   My bad.

5 years 4 months ago #621002 by GaryA
When handholding and for camera shake only:

Your camera has IBIS, you should be able to shoot a couple of stops under the rule-of-thumb when IBIS is engaged.

With IBIS Not Activated - Double the Rule of Thumb and double the reciprocal of the lens focal length.  If shooting with a 50mm use a shutter speed of 1/125th of a sec.

With IBIS Activated - Use the standard Rule of Thumb and use a shutter speed equal to the reciprocal of the lens focal length.  If shooting with a 50mm use a shutter speed of 1/60th of a sec.

The above is all about operator movement ... your movement.  IBIS will not stop subject movement.  When shooting moving subjects use the shutter speeds of my first post.    

5 years 4 months ago #621003 by GaryA
I hope this doesn't confuse you.  If you're still not clear I'll try to simplify. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024