New Camera, No Clue.

5 years 3 months ago #622545 by theflycat
Greetings All!  My name is Sam, I live in Miami(yes its currently 75 degrees and chilly).

I have always loved photography.  I took a 5 month long class many years ago and used my dads old pentax k1000.  I had the opportunity to develop my own film and and photographs.  Fast forward to now, I love taking photos of natural scenes and wild life, as well as my cat and dog!  I am earning a degree in Marine Biology, and hope to gain skills in photography to emphasize the beauty of the marine/coastal environments.

Yes, it is the day after Christmas and I can say that I was blessed with a new camera.  Sony a7III

I pretty much have no idea how to use it! I can point and shoot.  lol  I was also gifted the sony FE 55mm f1.8 lens.  I am finding it is not quite the lens I need for up close photography (BUGS and PLANTS).  I plan on heading out to best buy today to look for a more suitable lens.  I need something that can zoom in close...l need details!  I have many venus fly traps that I photograph better with my iphone than I can with this lens. :(

5 years 3 months ago #622732 by garyrhook
Two suggestions:

1) Take a class (locally) on getting out of "auto" mode. You'll need to understand the exposure triangle (which should be familiar, one would think) and how to dial in a proper exposure.

2) You'll want a macro lens. Literally, that's what they're called.

Your next step is going to be understand how aperture, focal length, and distance-to-subject and distance to background play into depth of field and bokeh.

Above all, have fun!

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #622777 by Ozzie_Traveller
+1 here

Like learning to drive your car - it helps greatly to learn (correcly) how to drive your camera- as Gary ^^ says - for all the controls that work together to make or break your great images

My 100% also would be to not rush into spending on extra lenses until you have experimented a bit more and compared notes with other photographers regarding your type of photo work - rather than accepting the sales person's suggestions for what might suit .... as it might suit their sales commission more than your needs

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #622783 by GaryA
Congrats on the camera.  Most likely you can get a water housing for diving.  That is a very very nice camera.  It is weather sealed ... so a splash from rain or a overspray from a wave isn't going to hurt the camera. Make sure your lenses are also weather sealed as well. (With salt water a wipe down with a damp fresh water cloth than a dry towel is recommended. With fresh water, just wipe it down.) 

Read The Manual.

Read it from front to back and take it with you for reference.  You can most likely download a PDF manual to your phone.  

The best thing to do is:

1) Shoot;
2) Shoot Some More; and
3) At the end of the day when you think you're done shooting ... shoot again.

Good Luck and Good Shooting.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 3 months ago #623601 by theflycat
Thank you for all the replies!  I took my camera to Universal studios over the weekend.  I got a bunch of "portrait" type photos.  Finding it difficult to get the background imaging in that I would like(due to the lens I have).  I am not using full auto mode anymore.  I am besting myself to use manual focus, albeit slower, changing shutter speeds, and playing with the fancy b/w with one pop of color features.

My macro lens will be arriving today!   Sony 50mm - F/2.8 -  SEL50M28.  Super excited about it!  I am still in need of a zoom lens.  I am thinking of the sel24240, FE24-240mm?  Like I said before I am completely a beginner and learning as I go along.   All advice welcome.

Basically the first photo I took:
Make: SONY
Model: ILCE-7M3
Lens: FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
ISO: 5000
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 14:33pm

Attachments:
5 years 3 months ago #623609 by GaryA
Picking up a beginner's photo book and/or on-line lessons or if you like me and undisciplined there usually are affordable digital photography classes at community colleges and/or adult school. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #623613 by GaryA

theflycat wrote: Greetings All!  My name is Sam, I live in Miami(yes its currently 75 degrees and chilly). ...

PS- Today is the coldest day of the season here in SoCal ... should be mid 60's today at night it drops into the low 40's.  Snow is less than an hour away ... surfing in Huntington Beach 15-20 minutes, Hollywood 30 minutes. (Plus no humidity to speak of and no giant insects or swarms of mosquitos.  Okay, housing and taxes are a bitch ... but we have wine :P .)

5 years 3 months ago #623616 by theflycat
Ahh, I see. Well it is a beautiful sunny 78 at the moment and the giant bugs are better for me to spot!!

My county library offers photography courses in 3 levels with a gentleman named Jack Wild, the Community college also offers some classes in digital photography. And once in a while a workshop is offered at my main school so I am hoping one comes up soon. A friend I work with in my lab said they had an underwater photography workshop last year. So Fingers crossed for that! For now my cat is getting her modeling portfolio! haha

5 years 3 months ago #623622 by theflycat
Macro lens just got here! IDK how to use it!  Yay!

5 years 3 months ago #623625 by GaryA

theflycat wrote: ... and the giant bugs are better for me to spot!!  ...

The silver lining ... ;)

If you are really really serious, join a local photo group/club and see if you can latch onto a mentor.  The thing about photography is that it is part craft.  As such, the more you do the better you should become.  Without any 'formal' photo education (i.e. online lessons/classes/mentor), it becomes all about trial and error ... while trial & error will make all the 'lessons' stick ... it is rather a slow and tedious process.  Formal education will accelerate the process and allow you to learn and advance from the mistakes and successes of others as opposed to the individual pain of trial & error.

5 years 3 months ago #623629 by theflycat
So I took my Macro outside and...ANTS are really FAST!  :banana:

5 years 3 months ago #623647 by garyrhook

theflycat wrote: So I took my Macro outside and...ANTS are really FAST!  :banana:

And have fascinating detail.

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D5100
Lens: 105.0 mm f/2.8
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/3.3
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Captured: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:12pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 3 months ago #623694 by GaryA

theflycat wrote: So I took my Macro outside and...ANTS are really FAST!  :banana:

LOL!

5 years 3 months ago #623771 by theflycat
Lovely!  I should have knocked some down on to the ground. I was chasing them around flower bush branches!

5 years 3 months ago #623795 by theflycat
What kind of lens was this?  90 Macro? 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024