Advising a camera

5 years 2 months ago #626054 by Ibrahim-ksz
Hello, 

I am new in this forum. I want to buy a camera for photography. I do not have so much knowledge about photography but I am curious about it. What kind of camera do you offer to a beginner like me? 

Thank you in advance. 

5 years 2 months ago #626361 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ibrahim

It is very difficult to advise a person on a camera without knowing a) what do you have in mind that you would like to photograph and b) what sort of $$ budget do you have as well. It would be very easy to rattle off a brand-name camera used by many others plus some lenses - coming out to $5000+, but that is no good to you as a real beginner

In a very broad sense - cameras are like motor cars ... they run in both "auto" mode and "manual" mode, so it is quite possible for you to buy a small camera and use it in auto mode for as long as you like, before venturing into the 'manual' modes (called P-A-S-M) on the camera dial

Presuming that you are in the USA, I would suggest that you spend a few minutes in one of your local shops or Walmart, &/or an on-line place like B&H or Adorama and find a camera that is both comfortable in your fingers and in your price range, and try things for 6 to 12 months. During this time you will discover more about your style of photography - things you like and things you would like to do, and from this you will have a much better idea of where-to-next

You will also need a computer to store your photos and some software to look at, and alter / lighten / darken etc these images. Some 'pretty-average-quality' stuff comes with the computer, but you will probably need to purchase something better along the way ~ maybe costing you $100 or so depending upon the brand

IF - you have some better ideas as to what you want to do and your budget, please continue this conversation and anyone here will be able to offer you advice on your big question :)

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 2 months ago #626364 by garyrhook
You don't mention subject areas of interest, nor budget, nor system.

First off, if you can, you need to hold different systems in your hand (Nikon, Canon, Sony, micro 4/3s bodies) and see what feels good, and what makes sense to you.

Then I'd recommend finding a not too old body and  either a kit lens, or a basic 50mm, and start shooting.

You'll also need software for post processing, and a computer. Some memory cards. A bag. That will get you started.

If your budget does not allow, look at a Panasonic all-in-one (point and shoot) such as a current Lulmix model. They can be used in auto mode and manual mode, so a growth and training path. You can graduate later to a detachable lens system.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #626845 by Jared-Weaver
If you're in America check out www.borrowlenses.com

There you can rent basically anything from a point and shoot to a professional body and every lens under the sun. Check out local camera stores as well, some will offer rental services. 

Basically what I'm trying to get across is that if you have zero idea about what kind of photography you want to get into, try renting a camera first. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024