How to focus on folwers?

5 years 1 month ago #628645 by Jan0048
Hi .I'm Jan, a new entry level photographer.I need to know how to How to focus on flowers? because I have tried to take a macro photo but not sharp of all.Please give me some comment of my sample.Nikon D3200AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8GA 1/3  f 5.6  ISO 100   manual focusno process on computer (resize only)Thank you very much.

Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #628649 by Nikon Shooter

Jan0048 wrote:  How to focus on flowers? 

Your chosen aperture was not your better option, Jan!

Close up and macro work require to shoot very close to the
subject and since proximity is a DoF killer…

Here, somewhere around ƒ16+ would have yield nicer results. 

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #628653 by Jan0048
Thank you for your kind comment, I will try again.:thumbsup:

5 years 1 month ago #628759 by garyrhook
It depends upon what you want to do. Your first goal is to decide what you want your viewer to look at. In your sample image it's no clear what your subject is, aside from the whole flower.

Then you want to think about your plane of focus: is all of your subject in focus? If not, move either yourself or the subject.

Go look at what other macro photographers do, specifically their compositions. IG can be a great source of examples for this.

Agree with the above suggestion of f/11 to f/16.

Study up on the geometry of photography: camera to subject distance, camera to background distance, depth of field.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #628771 by Troponin
Flowers have always been a challenge for me because I just don’t see the composition as well as I do with insects and many others. That being said, a”proper”photo isn’t terribly difficult if you keep some things in mind. 

The above is great advice. First figure out what it takes to get the entire flower in focus, which can be as high as F/22, depending on your set up and how small your subject is! That being said, f/8 Is typically what is considered the minimum in macro because that’s usually what it takes to get the entire subject in focus on most macro lenses. Each lens has a threshold that can effect image quality at really high f stops though, so f16 might look “soft” as well as being a lighting challenge. I don’t like shooting at those apertures unless absolutely needed.

All that said, as you get better, you can start experimenting with shallow DoF to create more unique photos, but you must first decide “Where do I want my viewer’s eyes to go?”. Do you like the entire flower, or is there a part of the flower in particular that’s interesting? What about the photo makes your eyes rest or wander? Example would be focusing in on and interesting stamen or pistol, perhaps the texture of a petal vs just focusing in on the entire flower

Every time I look at a flower, I Have to go over a check list...yes, I’m that bad at it...

1. Lighting
2. Where/how do I want focus
3. Composition/background Use the rule of thirds and try to create a non-distracting background
4. Adjust settings (Start with f/11 if completely unsure, double focal length for shutter speed, possiblly higher if you don’t have IS)

Remember that the closer you get, DoF becomes VERY shallow. With macro, the depth can get as shallow as 1mm. Days that are low light, you will most likely need some kind of lighting as well, since a lot of shots are at higher apertures. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #628778 by Stefan-Olsson
All the above is great advice. If you still like this image it can be partially saved, made better in post.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #628780 by Nikon Shooter

Stefan-Olsson wrote: it can be partially saved, made better in post.

I am not as optimist as you seem to be, Stefan, what
is OoF in shallow DoF is in no way salvageable.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #628789 by Troponin

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Stefan-Olsson wrote: it can be partially saved, made better in post.

I am not as optimist as you seem to be, Stefan, what
is OoF in shallow DoF is in no way salvageable.

I came across this guy on YouTube a few weeks ago. He is a genius with editing and I have seen him do some pretty amazing things. He has a process that can save some blurry photos, but I can’t remember what the criteria is that he looks for to save them. I had simply saved a few of his videos and will bring them back up when the need arrives. Some of them have a lot of details

https://youtu.be/32ccycfCyE4

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan-Olsson
5 years 1 month ago #629523 by Jan0048

garyrhook wrote: It depends upon what you want to do. Your first goal is to decide what you want your viewer to look at. In your sample image it's no clear what your subject is, aside from the whole flower.

Then you want to think about your plane of focus: is all of your subject in focus? If not, move either yourself or the subject.

Go look at what other macro photographers do, specifically their compositions. IG can be a great source of examples for this.

Agree with the above suggestion of f/11 to f/16.

Study up on the geometry of photography: camera to subject distance, camera to background distance, depth of field.

Hi garyrhook,

Thanks for your comment.
At first I just want to test the macro lens which I bought for a few days before going to my son's field trips.
I agree with you that my plane is not perfect because It's so difficult to set a tripod with a subject.

So I once again thank you.

5 years 1 month ago #629525 by Jan0048

Troponin wrote: Flowers have always been a challenge for me because I just don’t see the composition as well as I do with insects and many others. That being said, a”proper”photo isn’t terribly difficult if you keep some things in mind. 

The above is great advice. First figure out what it takes to get the entire flower in focus, which can be as high as F/22, depending on your set up and how small your subject is! That being said, f/8 Is typically what is considered the minimum in macro because that’s usually what it takes to get the entire subject in focus on most macro lenses. Each lens has a threshold that can effect image quality at really high f stops though, so f16 might look “soft” as well as being a lighting challenge. I don’t like shooting at those apertures unless absolutely needed.

All that said, as you get better, you can start experimenting with shallow DoF to create more unique photos, but you must first decide “Where do I want my viewer’s eyes to go?”. Do you like the entire flower, or is there a part of the flower in particular that’s interesting? What about the photo makes your eyes rest or wander? Example would be focusing in on and interesting stamen or pistol, perhaps the texture of a petal vs just focusing in on the entire flower

Every time I look at a flower, I Have to go over a check list...yes, I’m that bad at it...

1. Lighting
2. Where/how do I want focus
3. Composition/background Use the rule of thirds and try to create a non-distracting background
4. Adjust settings (Start with f/11 if completely unsure, double focal length for shutter speed, possiblly higher if you don’t have IS)

Remember that the closer you get, DoF becomes VERY shallow. With macro, the depth can get as shallow as 1mm. Days that are low light, you will most likely need some kind of lighting as well, since a lot of shots are at higher apertures. 

Hi Troponin,

Your knowledge surprises me and I like your word “Where do I want my viewer’s eyes to go?”

Thank you very much.

5 years 1 month ago #629526 by Jan0048

Stefan-Olsson wrote: All the above is great advice. If you still like this image it can be partially saved, made better in post.

Thanks

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024