How to take photos in public, and be LESS AWKWARD?

5 years 2 weeks ago #638469 by Fran Welch
I just got started in photography last year, my husband bought me a Canon 5d Mark III camera as a gift after I complained that I had no hobbies.   I love the picture making process, even though I'm not that good yet.  But where I really have a tough time is taking photos in public.  I always feel so awkward, like everyone is looking at me because I have this big camera.  Which is why when I go out shooting, I'm by myself with no one around.  

Sometimes I won't take a photo because this gets the best of me.  

Do most feel this way when getting started?  How do you get past this?  It's really uncomfortable for me at times and I'm not sure how to get past this?  

Thank you for the help!!!

Fran

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638552 by garyrhook

Fran Welch wrote: I just got started in photography last year, my husband bought me a Canon 5d Mark III camera as a gift after I complained that I had no hobbies.   I love the picture making process, even though I'm not that good yet.  But where I really have a tough time is taking photos in public.  I always feel so awkward, like everyone is looking at me because I have this big camera.  Which is why when I go out shooting, I'm by myself with no one around.  

Sometimes I won't take a photo because this gets the best of me.  

Do most feel this way when getting started?  How do you get past this?  It's really uncomfortable for me at times and I'm not sure how to get past this?

Some people are looking at you. You have to get over it.

It might help to understand your rights. In the US, on public land, in any place in the country, barring an ordinance otherwise, you are legally within your rights to take any photo of anything you can see. Special equipment excluded.

There is no expectation of privacy, and no one can legally stop you: not cops, not the parents of children, no one (aside from certain situations, like interfering with a police officer doing their job).

That said, discretion is sensible, right? For example, children are usually considered off limits unless you ask permission, simply to avoid some parent that doesn't understand that law and reality deciding to give you a very hard time.

Some people will notice and glare, flip you off, turn their head, wave you off, etc. You want to respect that, especially if you ever go to other countries where the laws and cultural conventions differ.

In the meantime, just do it. You'll get comfortable over time.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #638557 by GaryA
I think there is only one way to 'bury' the feelings that everybody is looking at you.  That is to simply to go shoot in public.  Yeah, I know, easier said than done ... but that is the only way (short of hypnosis or some crazy drugs). You have to just make yourself to perform.  You can start slow ... go to an area you want to shoot and just walk around with your camera.  You can just keep it on your shoulder if you're uncomfortable ... walk around and look for potential photos.  Repeat until you put the camera up to your eye and release the shutter.  Find a mentor and walk around with her/him, watch him/her take photos in public.  Take your camera with you everywhere.  Over time you'll become more comfortable with your camera and others watching you.

As you may be new to photography, much of your lack of comfort may be due to you not being intimate (in a good way) with your equipment.  I additionally suggest you take a beginning photo class. (In the US, community college or adult school usually offer affordable classes.)  As you become familiar with your equipment your confidence with increase.  Finally, I suggest you walk around tourist type areas where cameras are commonplace. 

Hook made a good suggestion to understand what protections/limitations you have, under your country's laws.  He was addressing U.S. law, which may or may not apply to where you live.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 2 weeks ago #638563 by Fran Welch
So when you say take a beginner photography course, does online count?

Also, I think I get your vibe, in Nike's famous tag, 'Just do it'.  My husband has been telling me too.  I know I need to get out and just do it.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638565 by Fran Welch
BTW, thank you both! 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638569 by garyrhook

Fran Welch wrote: So when you say take a beginner photography course, does online count?

I would try to find a local class, wherein you can ask questions and have a conversation. But that's just me and the way I learn. YMMV.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638570 by GaryA

Fran Welch wrote: So when you say take a beginner photography course, does online count?

Also, I think I get your vibe, in Nike's famous tag, 'Just do it'.  My husband has been telling me too.  I know I need to get out and just do it.  

Yes, online works well for camera familiarization ... but I find a structure environment, like a walk-in class, helps me with motivation. 

Yes, Just do it ... but there is no reason, (at least none that I am aware), for you to test the water by jumping off the high dive.  It's okay to start by initially sticking a single toe in the water ... et cetera. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

5 years 2 weeks ago #638742 by Joslyn
I was the same way when I first got started, but didn't let it stop me.  Most just simply want to see what you are photographing or what type of camera you have.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638878 by Sawyer
No substitute to just getting out there and doing it.  You'll get over it if you really want it.  

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638979 by Piechura
One thing to try would be to not specifically take photos of people. A lot of street photographers will find a composition they like and then wait for someone to walk into it. That way, you're not specifically taking a photo of any one individual and often they're not recognisable anyway.

Check out someone like Sean Tucker for inspiration that that kind of photography:
https://www.instagram.com/seantuck/?hl=en

He does a lot of good stuff with light and shadow.

5 years 2 weeks ago #638981 by garyrhook
+1 on the above.

Also: If you're not listening to The Candid Frame podcast, you should be. Best thing out there on street.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639011 by KCook
Through a honking huge camera bag over your shoulder and everyone will assume you are a pro.  Then just act like a pro. :woohoo:

There should be local "photowalks", with other shooters.  Check on Facebook and/or Meetup.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

5 years 2 weeks ago #639250 by Fran Welch
Thank you all for the continued support.  Since posting this I have joined a new Photography Meetup group!  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639251 by Fran Welch
Where do  I find the photo walks?

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639252 by GaryA

KCook wrote: Through a honking huge camera bag over your shoulder and everyone will assume you are a pro.  Then just act like a pro. :woohoo:

There should be local "photowalks", with other shooters.  Check on Facebook and/or Meetup.

Kelly

That is exactly how I shoot my Street stuff, two cameras and a bag.  I try to blend into the environment. No tiny cameras, no hiding, no shooting from the hip ... blend.

Nikon F w/ Nikkor 20mm.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024