Purpose of on camera flash

5 years 2 weeks ago #639102 by Stacy Kaufman
Everyone says, don't use the on camera flash, and that it gives really bad light.  So why are the manufactures still putting these on cameras?  What use can I get from having one?  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639103 by banjopicks
I use mine when I need to. I sometime will adjust the strength of the flash, I don't think it's all bad. It helps with back lit subjects and living room shots of the dog.

5 years 2 weeks ago #639118 by garyrhook

Stacy Kaufman wrote: Everyone says, don't use the on camera flash, and that it gives really bad light.

That's actually not true.

And if you look at someone like Terry Richards you can see that some people seem to think head-on flash is a good thing.

I don't care for that look myself, but it's currently a "thing".

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639137 by Shadowfixer1
On camera flash is not bad. Built in flash is. On camera flash with a tilt, swivel head is used all the time. It can be aimed straight up, bounced sideways off a wall or even pointed to the rear. Straight ahead with on camera flash isn't very good unless diffused, then it's passable. Built in should only be used as a last resort or as a commander for off camera flashes.
5 years 2 weeks ago #639140 by Troponin

Shadowfixer1 wrote: On camera flash is not bad. Built in flash is. On camera flash with a tilt, swivel head is used all the time. It can be aimed straight up, bounced sideways off a wall or even pointed to the rear. Straight ahead with on camera flash isn't very good unless diffused, then it's passable. Built in should only be used as a last resort or as a commander for off camera flashes.

^^^ Yeah, I was wondering which he was referring to; a hot shoe mounted flash or the in camera flash. They both have their uses. 

I use a hot shoe mounted flash for that exact reason you mentioned; indoor candid shots of the fam and friends. They turn out quite well in many cases. 

This was in an older house that has very little light coming in.  It's my step mother cooking for us on the holidays. She is standing in front of a really dark area that a flash was a must. Instead of setting up a studio, I just bounched the light off of the ceiling etc. 

www.photographytalk.com/photos/447429

For the build in flash, you can diffuse those too. They will produce some decent lighting when diffused or bounced. These look silly, but they work in a pinch!!

3.bp.blogspot.com/_sg4FpekxNxo/TQKg3aO1O...I/s1600/_MG_7766.JPG

Lots of options though. Experiment and choose what works best for what you are trying to accomplish. 

www.google.com/search?q=built+in+flash+d...ygC&biw=1880&bih=939

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639151 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Stacy

Used intelligently, the built-in flash can be very useful - esp when you do not have a hot-shoe flash close at hand. The "big-problem" for us is that too many others just use it to blast away at parties etc, and the results are most unflattering to all concerned - both the subject AND the photographer's reputation

The in-camera menu or a Fn button also allows you to +/- the flash brigheness as well, so that it does become quite useful for some portraiture - fill-in-flash use in daylight. It is also used for insects / bees flying across a bush of flowers, and can be used to freeze movement when the subject is close to the camera

The other downside of in-camera flash is that is is using the came battery that the camera does for its operation - so things run flat all the sooner

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 2 weeks ago #639270 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote: This was in an older house that has very little light coming in.  It's my step mother cooking for us on the holidays. She is standing in front of a really dark area that a flash was a must. Instead of setting up a studio, I just bounched the light off of the ceiling etc. 

I like the light and the color in that; nicely done.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troponin
5 years 2 weeks ago #639291 by Troponin

garyrhook wrote:

Troponin wrote: This was in an older house that has very little light coming in.  It's my step mother cooking for us on the holidays. She is standing in front of a really dark area that a flash was a must. Instead of setting up a studio, I just bounched the light off of the ceiling etc. 

I like the light and the color in that; nicely done.

Thank you, Gary! 

This is was my favorite from this family trip. My step mother puts so much love in to her cooking, so this photo is very personal to me. She cooks and donates to the local shelters and kitchens every week as well. 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #639309 by Shadowfixer1
DOF and lighting work nicely for this image. Folks need to understand that on camera flash doesn't mean bad. It's how you use it like you did here that makes it work and work very well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troponin
5 years 2 weeks ago #639316 by Troponin

Shadowfixer1 wrote: DOF and lighting work nicely for this image. Folks need to understand that on camera flash doesn't mean bad. It's how you use it like you did here that makes it work and work very well.

Thank you for the kind words. 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #640410 by fmw
Forensic photography would be one use for it.  On camera flash makes bad images for most purposes.  It is flat, harsh and shadowy.   Connecting a portable flash unit to the hot shoe with a long cord can do a lot for image quality.  You can hold the flash away from the camera to improve modeling or bounce the flash light from a wall or ceiling.  Unless you are a crime scene investigator, there isn't really a good reason to use built in flash for anything.  I would recommend investing in a portable flash unit and extension cord.  Find a flash unit that works with the TTL metering system in your camera.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024