Unwanted Fisheye effect on all my photos

4 years 10 months ago #642952 by Ray Tevich
I'm shooting with my Canon Rebel T4i and have nearly 600 shots that have crappy fisheye effect  in them. I have tried everything I can think of to remove this effect.  What is happening is the outer sides of all the shots are leaning outwards.  

What can I do about this please?

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642953 by Ray Tevich
Sorry I was using a 18-55mm lens. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642970 by Shadowfixer1
That's probably not a fisheye effect. Without seeing an example image, I would say you are dealing with perspective distortion. If that is the case, you can use perspective correction in software to straighten it up. If it is actually a fish eye effect you can use "de-fish" in software to correct the image. Now the issue becomes does the software you use have these abilities. If you use Photoshop, the answer is yes. 
4 years 10 months ago #642980 by garyrhook
Since you didn't tell us about your entire workflow, we can only offer suggestions. But +1 on what he said above.

If you use LR, it has very good profiles for most camera lenses, and handles perspective distortion readily.

I imagine other packages also have the ability to fix that, given the ubiquity of the "problem".

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642984 by Ray Tevich
I'm sorry, I didn't know what else you needed other than my camera and lens, which I mentioned already.  If you are talking about software I have Photoshop and Lightroom.  

I'll look in Lightroom as you suggested.

Now these photos are from one of my first paid jobs.  I don't think my client would like that I'm posting their photos in a public community.  Not to mention how bad this would look in the event that the client see's me asking about their photo.  

So what do people do in  these sort of situations where seeing comes in handy?  

BTW - thank you both! 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #643086 by garyrhook

Ray Tevich wrote: I'm sorry, I didn't know what else you needed other than my camera and lens, which I mentioned already.  If you are talking about software I have Photoshop and Lightroom.  

I'll look in Lightroom as you suggested.

Now these photos are from one of my first paid jobs.  I don't think my client would like that I'm posting their photos in a public community.  Not to mention how bad this would look in the event that the client see's me asking about their photo.  

So what do people do in  these sort of situations where seeing comes in handy?

From the bottom of your post:

You walk outside and take another photo using similar settings and subject geometry to illustrate the problem in a generic way, then post the photo.

I'm bothered by the idea that you have  paying client and are unfamiliar with these issues, which are fundamental to photography. Perhaps I'm assuming too much here, though, based on my interpretation of available information. But no, your client would expect you to already know what you're doing, me thinks. I could be wrong.

Nevertheless. Let's move on.

Good answers require good questions. Something like, "Using my Canon T4i with the kit 18-55 lens, I've captured images of <some object>. With a focal length of ##mm and a distance to subject of approximately # feet, I find the images exhibit a 'fisheye' effect, i.e. the subjects seem distorted. I'm using Lightroom v# to view the images, and I've processed them with settings for exposure/tone/whatever. But the subjects don't look 'normal' to me."

Did I capture that right?

Utilize the lens correction setting in LR and see where that takes you. Then let's talk about the actual settings you're using (focal length, primarily).

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troponin

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024