First DSLR: what lens & accessories to start properly?

4 years 11 months ago #644412 by Jordan Bibey
Hello everybody, I am very happy to be joining you guys in this forum!

Having always loved taking photos - mostly with an old compact camera and a smartphone (lame, I know... haha) - I have recently decided to step up and buy a DSLR, so I could try and learn more about photography with a better material, with the end-goal of improving my shooting skills, and express my creativity better.

With that in mind, I have been spending hours over the past few days, in order to find a camera that I believe would cover my needs, as well as enter in my budget: the Nikon D5600 (unless you have a better suggestion in that price range?)

However, I desperately need the help of some of you experienced photographers:
- Is the "Sigma Objectif 10-20 mm F3,5 EX DC HSM" lens good enough for LANDSCAPE shootings?
- Is the "Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8G" lens good enough for PORTRAITSTREET shootings?
- Other than a tripod and a SD card, what accessories do you strongly advise me of purchasing? Such as protection, cleaning accessories, filters, etc...

Being willing to take astronomy pictures at some point, I won't even bother asking about a telephoto lens, as I am pretty sure they all are pretty expensive. So I'll be patient and save up first! :)

Very sorry if my questions sound stupid, but I'd rather do things right from the beginning, instead of buying any lens or miss a must-have accessory simply because I was too proud to ask...

In any case, I'll be very thankful to whomever will find a few minutes to help me out... :)

4 years 11 months ago #644422 by garyrhook
A D5600 is a fine camera. I made plenty of money using a D5100 so I think you'll be happy.

What we don't know is what you already know about photography. I'm going to assume you know about the exposure triangle and how lenses work.

A 50mm f/1.8 will be find for many general purposes, and for portraits that are 3/4 body or more. It's not a portrait lens and will distort the face if you try to do headshots. That said, some people like that. But "portrait lens" is generally considered 85mm or longer, on any sensor.

I don't know anything about the Sigma. You'll have to find out if it meets your needs regarding image quality.

Astrophotography usually requires a short, fast lens, not a long one. Do your research here before making a purchase. You'll be able to do some astro work with either of the above lenses, but perhaps not quite what you want.

I recommend you start with one lens (the 50mm) and see how far that takes you. Then acquire your second lens.

You want a sturdy tripod, but if you go with a travel model, you'll want to be able to hang weight from it. It should have a hook on the column, or similar device.

Accessories: a Rocket Blaster and Lens Pen. If you're outside in daylight a lot, you might want a circular polarizer at some point. And a good camera bag. And more than one memory card.

Not stupid at all.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644433 by Nikon Shooter
I would suggest a second (mid- range zoom) lens that
could take the portraits and maybe with macro reach.

I prefer to use larger card rather than many smaller ones.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644559 by KCook

• - Is the "Sigma Objectif 10-20 mm F3,5 EX DC HSM" lens good enough for LANDSCAPE shootings?
Not bad.  But the f/4-5.6 version, which costs less, is sharper.  I do use the f/4-5.6 for landscapes with my Canon 50D.  BTW, Nikon now has their own budget 10-20, which might be better than Sigma.  I don't know, as I shoot Canon I have not made that comparison.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024