Lens rendering meaning

4 years 9 months ago #647533 by Liem Stailey
I saw this mentioned in someones comment, but not a clear indication on what this means.  Google didn't help either.  Just a couple other post on other forums with no clear answer.  

How can a lens render anything?  The term from first glance doesn't make sense.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647534 by Nikon Shooter
It doesn't.

Any lens may be an important part of a capture. Capturing
with or without optical qualities or deficiencies but never
render anything.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647536 by Liem Stailey
That's what I thought.  I just couldn't come up with reasoning behind the meaning. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647566 by Sassy Girl
This is all I could find

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647594 by Nikon Shooter
I don't taste his communication skills…
among other things. :(

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647596 by Shadowfixer1

Liem Stailey wrote: I saw this mentioned in someones comment, but not a clear indication on what this means.  Google didn't help either.  Just a couple other post on other forums with no clear answer.  

In a way it does render an image. What it means is each lens will produce (a/k/a render) a different look as far as contrast, color tone, sharpness and quality of bokeh it produces or as some say renders. The image you see through a lens does not exactly replicate the real world thus it renders the image. This is what they mean when they discuss or refer to a lens rendering the image. 
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #647598 by Troponin

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Liem Stailey wrote: I saw this mentioned in someones comment, but not a clear indication on what this means.  Google didn't help either.  Just a couple other post on other forums with no clear answer.  

In a way it does render an image. What it means is each lens will produce (a/k/a render) a different look as far as contrast, color tone, sharpness and quality of bokeh it produces or as some say renders. The image you see through a lens does not exactly replicate the real world thus it renders the image. This is what they mean when they discuss or refer to a lens rendering the image. 

^^^This. 

It's a "figure of speech". Each lens has the potential to bend and manipulate light in its own regard. It's not technically rendering it, however, it does play a role in how the light hits the sensor so that the sensor itself can render the image. When I use the term "rendering", I usually accompany it with a description of what I am referring to and not necessarily referring to the lens alone, but the entire set up. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #647746 by fmw
I don't watch internet videos so I'm not sure what the message was.  But I can tell you that single focal length lenses "render" with higher contrast than zooms.  Slow lenses also produce higher contrast than fast lenses.  But I wonder if it matters since contrast is easily adjustable in post process to a degree greater than the differences in the lenses.  Lenses with more aperture blades produce out-of-focus highlights in a manner that some people think is better than those with fewer blades.  Optical aberrations produce various "renderings" that differ from lenses with different amounts of those aberrations.

I don't think the issue is any more complicated than that.  Some lenses just have characteristics that differ from other lenses.  These things mattered more in the film days than they do today.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648054 by garyrhook

fmw wrote: I don't watch internet videos so I'm not sure what the message was.  But I can tell you that single focal length lenses "render" with higher contrast than zooms.  Slow lenses also produce higher contrast than fast lenses.  But I wonder if it matters since contrast is easily adjustable in post process to a degree greater than the differences in the lenses.  Lenses with more aperture blades produce out-of-focus highlights in a manner that some people think is better than those with fewer blades.  Optical aberrations produce various "renderings" that differ from lenses with different amounts of those aberrations.

I don't think the issue is any more complicated than that.  Some lenses just have characteristics that differ from other lenses.  These things mattered more in the film days than they do today.

I disagree that it mattered more in the film days. How a lens creates an image is what the term means, and the characteristics of the lens will be evident in the result (as mentioned above).

Rendering: the manner in which a result is produced.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liem Stailey
4 years 9 months ago #648057 by Liem Stailey
Just want to chime in and thank you all for the comments.  I have to say, this really makes my day.  Thank you.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648490 by Liem Stailey
Update:  I'm crystal clear on this.  Thank you again for the help! 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648591 by fmw

garyrhook wrote:

fmw wrote: I don't watch internet videos so I'm not sure what the message was.  But I can tell you that single focal length lenses "render" with higher contrast than zooms.  Slow lenses also produce higher contrast than fast lenses.  But I wonder if it matters since contrast is easily adjustable in post process to a degree greater than the differences in the lenses.  Lenses with more aperture blades produce out-of-focus highlights in a manner that some people think is better than those with fewer blades.  Optical aberrations produce various "renderings" that differ from lenses with different amounts of those aberrations.

I disagree that it mattered more in the film days. How a lens creates an image is what the term means, and the characteristics of the lens will be evident in the result (as mentioned above).

It mattered more in the film days because we didn't have digital photo editing.  Certainly you remember that.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648601 by garyrhook

fmw wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

fmw wrote: I don't think the issue is any more complicated than that.  Some lenses just have characteristics that differ from other lenses.  These things mattered more in the film days than they do today.

It mattered more in the film days because we didn't have digital photo editing.  Certainly you remember that.

Well, I'm not entirely sure I'm following your point, but if you mean that we can now manipulate an image in a manner that replaces a lens' characteristics, then I'll say, sure, in some respects. But there are things that you can't do in post. So I stand by my statement: lens characteristics matter.

As for the "film days" I, happily, never did film. Other than a 110 pocket camera. My experience is 100% digital.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024