Novice - Blown Out Manual Photos

4 years 10 months ago #648064 by drake32
Hi all - I'm a novice photographer and usually shoot on automatic, but I'm working to learn manual. My camera is an Olympus e-m5 Mark II. I'm having an issue that I just can't seem to figure it out on my own and it's really starting to ruin my enjoyment shooting. My photos often seem to have a bluish hue to them. I did some research and read it was a white balance issue. I think I corrected that, but my photos are still blown out. As you'll see in my two photos the ISO, aperture and shutter speed are the same, but the photo shot in automatic is much more vibrant and detailed, whereas the manual photo is blown out. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Any help or tips would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments:
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #648067 by Nikon Shooter

drake32 wrote: My photos often seem to have a bluish hue to them. I did some research and read it was a white balance issue.

I guess this was only an Auto WB setup.

drake32 wrote: … my photos are still blown out. As you'll see in my two photos the ISO, aperture and shutter speed are the same, but the photo shot in automatic is much more vibrant and detailed, whereas the manual photo is blown out.

What you ignored to read is that there is a EV +3 applied
to the second take. I would suggest you tweak down the
EV to -3 and see what comes out of it! Have a good time!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648133 by KCook
Program mode can be an easier starting place than Manual mode.

My E-M5 (original) pushes red instead of blue. In Auto mode the WB is stuck on Auto. But in the PASM modes I use Daylight WB instead of Auto. Check that the color adjustments are all centered. Also, the Mark II has a fancy color profile control that my model lacks. Check that it has not been messed with (or just reset it).

I can (sometimes) get a washed out tonal rendering similar to your problem when using gradients. Make sure the Gradient control is set to Normal.

It is normal for Auto mode JPGs to have extra vibrance. That is due to the Auto mode always applying the iEnhance picture mode. In the PASM shooting modes you get to set the picture mode to something more normal. In my opinion the iEnhance pictures are so overcooked they look childish.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 10 months ago #648319 by garyrhook
Auto mode does a lot that you will have to learn to do yourself. I agree with starting with aperture priorityor shutter priority.

Be patient. Learning takes time. If you have critical situations, sick too auto until you gain confidence. Practise manual mode when you have no pressure.

The images above site that the ISO value in the first shot is 200. We don't know what it is in the second. We do know that you have exposure compensation engaged. For no reason. And what is shown is not 3 stops, as stated above, it's 0.3 stops. Minor, but still unnecessary.

The color cast is a completely separate issue. WB isn't part of exposure. It's color. Yet another thing to learn.

Patience.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648358 by Shadowfixer1
The Olympus i-auto function chooses more than just exposure. It takes into account a number of settings to give you a nice image. It adjusts, exposure, contrast, sharpening, white balance, color profile and more. I think the exposure difference is more a difference of the shadow/highlight adjustment the camera made when in i-auto. If you shoot raw, these are the settings you would need to apply to the image when processing a non i-auto image. The main thing is to adjust things to get the feel for what it does and that way you learn what you need to do. Good luck.
4 years 9 months ago #651078 by drake32
Hi all - thank you all for providing feedback and tips. I certainly appreciate it. As it turns out, the issue I had is I must have accidentally messed with the Picture Mode setting a while back. I put the setting at "Pale&Light Color" - hence the palish, blue lighting I was getting on all my manual photos. I learned this is setting is what's used in the iauto mode to engage the i-enhance. 

4 years 9 months ago #651090 by KCook
Those Picture Modes apply only to JPGs, not RAW files. Both the iAuto and iEnhance features should be avoided. Unless you just prefer overcooked JPGs.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024