What makes expensive cameras worth the money being asked?

4 years 10 months ago #648790 by Tim Giertz
Last year, a friend gave me his old Nikon D7000 camera with a 50mm lens.  I have never owned a camera before, but won't say no to free stuff.  I have used the camera a little and about 5 weeks ago, the camera stopped turning on.  

I started looking at getting a new camera, and now seeing that these things cost.  I don't mean to ask such a greenhorn question, but what makes a pricey camera worth the $$ that is asked for these things?  I'm trying to understand the value metrics so I can make a educated decision on which camera will be the one I get.  

Thank you 

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #648793 by Nikon Shooter

Tim Giertz wrote: what makes a pricey camera worth the $$ that is asked for 

The more a camera behaves like a Point and Shoot should
(keeping you in control of everything), the more it will cost.

In wildlife photography, things may happen without notice
and one must be ready for anything, anytime, and anywhere.
My D850 comboed to the 600mm ƒ4 does just that.

The high-tech refinements are multiple and/but necessary.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648820 by garyrhook
50,000 parts in a  modern DSLR, a computer, and lots of software. And then there's the glass, where each lens takes work to design and manufacture. Recovery of R&D expenses. Return to shareholders. Wages. Equipment to build the parts that make the device.

Cameras are no different from any other complex mechanical device (e.g. automobiles).

SLRs were a lot simpler. Not so anymore.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648824 by Shadowfixer1
A good film camera wasn't cheap back in the day. I paid $1300 for a Nikon F-100 back in the nineties. That would be right up there with a D-500 or A7III in todays money.
4 years 10 months ago #648846 by Tim Giertz

Shadowfixer1 wrote: A good film camera wasn't cheap back in the day. I paid $1300 for a Nikon F-100 back in the nineties. That would be right up there with a D-500 or A7III in todays money.

WOW, when you think what goes into a film camera you really need to scratch your head on that one! 

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #648868 by Nikon Shooter
I remember the $2400 tag that came with the F4E
at about the same period, awesome tool it was, I
still have it them… unused since years

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648926 by Jared-Weaver
Sensor size and software are your big expenses. You're going to be able to capture higher resolution images and the software will help reduce noise and cache more images if you're shooting at a high speed (needed for sports and wildlife). Bodies will have better weather sealing which can mean the difference between minor water contamination and losing your entire rig in wet weather. As you move into high end cameras, you'll find that the frames will be made of lightweight alloys and the button arrangement will have a more user friendly layout with features you'd usually menu dive for. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648954 by fmw
None of the above.  The real gremlin is low sales volume which eliminates economies of scale.  If these cameras were sold by the 10's of millions, they would be a fraction of the price to consumers.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648956 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: 50,000 parts in a  modern DSLR,

Really? Where did you see that?

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648996 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote:

garyrhook wrote: 50,000 parts in a  modern DSLR,

Really? Where did you see that?

I recall seeing a video go by some time ago, but upon reflection I think I used the wrong number. I can't find any sources at the moment.

I shouldn't have used a number without a source. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #649000 by Artview
I think low light photography and dynamic range makes the expensive camera more worth the money. Many beginner cameras are poor in low light and doesn't have that good dynamic range. This is the most important reason for me to buy a better camera. Then also more practical things like a swivel screen can be worth the money also. 

4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #649008 by New but trying
As mentioned before, more expensive cameras may have larger sensors, better dynamic range, greater resolution, better build quality, more auto-focus points, etc... Honestly though, there are very capable options for not that much money. If you want to stick with the lens you already have, you could get a used Nikon DX body. You might also be able to sell your D7000 for parts.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #649158 by shelland
The question you should be asking is whether you should be considering more expensive options. There are obviously price points at many levels, and all of them meet someone's needs. A Ferrari is a "better" car than a Sentra, but does that mean a Sentra can't meet the needs for many (one obvious one is the financial needs :) ). 

It doesn't sound like you used the old body a whole lot, so this might not be an easy question for you to answer. But were there things that your old body was not able to do that you are wanting from a new body? Example: Do you shoot a lot of low light and it was too noisy? Do you shoot a lot of action and want more shots per second? 

If you just do basic stuff - shots of the kid in the yard, flowers in the garden, then there might not be any reason to go with higher priced options. Just some education and maybe different glass could be all you need. 

What kinds of things do you shoot? What conditions? How were the results with the previous body? 

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024