Should beginner photographers buy pro level lenses?

4 years 9 months ago #649384 by Liem Stailey
I'm referring to those that know they will be in photography for the long haul.  Does it make sense to not buy pro level lenses?  After all you buy lesser priced lenses, which is great because you save money.  However in the long game, you will likely want to upgrade, then you have to buy new glass, pricier lenses and home you can sell your old.  

Well this is what I was just told last night by another photographer I ran into shooting some night stuff.  So is there logic in what I was told?  Basically should we be budgeting to just buy pro level gear? 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649385 by Nikon Shooter
Ultimately, lenses are capturing the images and they are,
compared to bodies, somewhat less prone to age, become
obsolete. In 1988, I bought the F4 and the 600 mm ƒ4. The
body — still working perfectly — has long been retired but
the lens continues its career on my D850.

Lens are really a long term investment.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649438 by Liem Stailey
600mm?  Well that's a $5000 lens isn't it?  :)

yeah I would keep that one too.  But referring too 24-70mm, 70-200mm, lenses like those.  Does it make sense to buy the best of the best now to prevent having to sell others to get the better lenses?  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649440 by Nikon Shooter
I told about the 600 as an extreme example of an investment
that was not undone. The same applies to all lenses because
one will lose money every time anything is undone.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649450 by Troponin
I started with an a6000 so that I could get the Sony 90mm macro lens when I started. I thought it was well worth it. It's still my favorite lens! 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649451 by garyrhook

Liem Stailey wrote: yeah I would keep that one too.  But referring too 24-70mm, 70-200mm, lenses like those.  Does it make sense to buy the best of the best now to prevent having to sell others to get the better lenses?  

There are no cheap versions of those lenses, only older editions and/or used. Even third party products can be spendy.

So, from a meta perspective (and repeating what you've already stated above):

What makes sense is to start off with one good lens and work with it. Decide if you want to pursue photography to the point of heavy investment. And while you're doing that, learn that the best camera is the one you have with you.

Once you've arrived at the decision that you're there to stay, and you know that it takes certain gear to meet your needs, then invest in it, yes. But do you need the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8E over the VRII? Probably not, and the latter can be had used for half the $ of the former. Each lens will require a separate decision.

IMNSHO, of course. I could be wrong.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
4 years 9 months ago #649461 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Liem

There is an age-old saying used across many areas of life ... "buy the best that you can afford" ~ and cameras & lenses [or fishing rods or golf clubs or whatever] are no exception

I personally would NOT recommend that a novice or a "keen newbie" go out and buy a pro-level camera or pro-level lens etc.

Ideas change, brands change as you discover more things about your new hobby and different features become more or less important. So to start off paying heaps of $$ for stuff that might easily end up gathering dust within a year or two, is IMO quite silly

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 9 months ago #649496 by Artview
I still use my entry level DSLR with a standard lens. I'd say it's counter productive to buy expensive gear as a newbie. The reason is that you learn how to use the equipment, find the right settings, lights, composition etc. when you have cheaper equipment. You can still take great photos with you smartphone. I still use my three year old phone and sometimes takes better photos with it than my DSLR's.

4 years 9 months ago #652048 by Jared-Weaver
I was taught lenses before bodies for the following reason: 

A pro line lens will generally not hold your camera back. Putting a mediocre lens on a pro body however just makes no sense because the bigger sensor will accentuate the shortcomings of the lens. Using a pro lens on even a beginner line body will give you the clearest, sharpest images provided that you focus and expose correctly. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652222 by Johan Alonso

Troponin wrote: I started with an a6000 so that I could get the Sony 90mm macro lens when I started. I thought it was well worth it. It's still my favorite lens! 

What camera are you using now?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024