Full frame lens on crop sensor camera

4 years 9 months ago #649464 by Chase Audate
Am I understanding this correctly, if I have a 24mm full frame lens on my Nikon D7500 (which is crop sensor), it would be like this lens being a 36mm right?

Are there any downsides to using full frame on crop body?

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649466 by Nikon Shooter
In terms of AoV only, Chase, no other advantage
and as many disadvantages… you're good to go.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chase Audate
4 years 9 months ago #649471 by garyrhook

Chase Audate wrote: Am I understanding this correctly, if I have a 24mm full frame lens on my Nikon D7500 (which is crop sensor), it would be like this lens being a 36mm right?

Are there any downsides to using full frame on crop body?

I'll make this simple (for both questions):

No. And no.

The only difference between a "DX" lens and an "FX" lens is the size of the rendered image (aside from IQ and price and what-not... let's ignore all that). Since a crop sensor is smaller, the image area from a DX lens only has to be big enough for the sensor it's expected to work with.

However, if you us an FX lens, the image area is large enough for a full-frame sensor. Your DX sensor, however, will only see the central part of that. The rest is ignored/wasted/pointless. You gain perhaps some IQ, and an upgrade path.

Therefore: nothing changes the physical characteristics of a lens. Nothing. The only difference is, as pointed out above, the angle of view. It's a rather simple geometry thing, and nothing more. The manufacturers thought it would be helpful to attempt to give folks a reference point for understanding how smaller sensors would work. What they didn't count on was the fact that only a small portion of those crop sensor customers had any frame of reference from 35mm. And despite their lame attempts to describe the angle of view, sometimes it just got converted to "equivalent". Which is not true.

Therefore: suggest to stop trying to over-analyze. There is no 100% equivalence between sensor sizes, so find a focal length you like and shoot.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chase Audate
4 years 9 months ago #649478 by Chase Audate
Just to clarify, was I right about the 24mm being like a 36mm?

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649480 by Nikon Shooter
Not really… focal lengths do have given characteristics
and one of them is the AoV. So the 24 on a crop sensor
will have the same AoV as a 36mm… but nothing else.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649485 by Rudy Sosa

Nikon Shooter wrote: Not really… focal lengths do have given characteristics
and one of them is the AoV. So the 24 on a crop sensor
will have the same AoV as a 36mm… but nothing else.

Yup, and to add to that for the OP, here you go:  http://www.marshall-usa.com/blog/2018/05/01/camera-focal-lengths-and-angle-of-view-aov-explained/

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649508 by garyrhook

Chase Audate wrote: Just to clarify, was I right about the 24mm being like a 36mm?

I thought I was clear.

No, the 24 will not act like a 36 on a crop sensor.

(Again) as stated above, it has the same angle of view as a 36, but that's it. In no other way will it act like a 36.

Here: Hold your arms straight out at 45 degrees (on each side). See what you can view between your hands? Now move your arms inward until they both stick straight forward. Your hands should now be shoulder width apart.

See how much you can see between your hands? That's the change in angle of view. Notice that nothing else about the scene changed. That's my point: what the lens does will not change, only what you can capture on a crop sensor.

Is that any more helpful?

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649603 by fmw
OP. to simplify things for you, any lens of any focal length will behave the same on any camera with any sensor.  If you put a 24mm lens that was intended for a full frame camera on a camera with a smaller sensor, it will behave exactly the same except that the camera won't capture the entire field of view.  It will "crop" it in a sense.  Camera bodies don't affect lens performance in any way.  They just record the light.  You could get the same image by using the full frame camera and cropping the image in an editing program.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649606 by Chase Audate
OK, I now get it.  Sorry for being so slow about this.  I'm realizing there is SO MUCH to learn with photography and some of this just requires some super simple break downs.  Actually the arm in front of you example really helped out.  

So is it bad to use a full frame lens on a crop sensor camera?  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649612 by fmw
No not at all.  I do it all the time.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649613 by Nikon Shooter

fmw wrote: No not at all.  I do it all the time.

Correct, it's the other way around that's not a good thing!

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649621 by garyrhook

Chase Audate wrote: OK, I now get it.  Sorry for being so slow about this.  I'm realizing there is SO MUCH to learn with photography and some of this just requires some super simple break downs.  Actually the arm in front of you example really helped out.  

So is it bad to use a full frame lens on a crop sensor camera?  

No worries; we're here to help. My apologies if I was unclear on anything.

Yes, lots to learn.

The arm idea just came to mind. as I wrote that up. It seems an excellent illustration, if I say so myself.

I quickly moved past a kit lens to a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on my first camera, a D5100. Never regretted the investment, and still have the lens. But I knew enough to make that decision (not exactly new to photography). I would caution any true newbie to use the kit lens first, and learn about exposure, composition, and method. Figure out how you see things before investing in more equipment.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649783 by Chase Audate
I'll take that advice. Seriously all of you on this board have been so helpful. I'm happy I signed up here. I feel my learning curve has been reduced.

Thanks again!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024