What focal length does a lens become a portrait lens?

3 months 6 days ago #651135 by Liem Stailey
As title is asking, at what focal point does a lens classify as a portrait lens?  I was reading it's all about compression getting to the right spot, what ever that means.  :huh:  

As always thanks everyone.  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 6 days ago - 3 months 6 days ago #651136 by Nikon Shooter

A portrait lens doesn't exist as such
, portraits may be 
done with ANY lens. There is, however, a consensus on 
the natural look — in terms of perspective — that will
determine what focal length to use and is distance to
subject dependant.

ISO 1,600 / 1/100s / ƒ 5.6 / 300mm ƒ2,8 at closest dis-
dance from the subject.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

3 months 6 days ago #651137 by KCook
Short answer: 75mm to 200mm (in full frame bodies). For APS-C cameras this would be more like 50mm to 135mm. Generally (there are exceptions for everything) the shorter end of this range is preferred indoors, longer end outdoors.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 months 6 days ago #651184 by Liem Stailey
Thank you both.  I guess I was referring to the traditional sense.  Wide angle lenses do funny things with the outer edges of a shot, which won't work well for portraits right?  So figured there was a focal starting point where the pendulum swung in favor for ideal portraits.  

Photo Comments

3 months 6 days ago #651187 by garyrhook
It depends upon how you define a portrait.

Some folks prefer full body shots, in which case a shorter lens is just fine because you've backed up enough to mostly avoid distortion.

Fundamentally, it's a geometry problem.

If you want to do head/upper body shots, and you want to avoid distortion of features, then a longer lens is needed, and you back up. It's about the relative distance (of various body parts) to the camera.

Photo Comments

3 months 6 days ago #651229 by KCook
  • Wide angle lenses do funny things with the outer edges of a shot, which won't work well for portraits right?
Only when some part of the person is near the edge of the field.  For an environmental portrait the person may be small in the frame (not a closeup), so WA distortion is not a concern.  "Portrait" covers a lot of different approaches.  For some a WA lens is fine.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 months 6 days ago #651234 by Nikon Shooter

Liem Stailey wrote: I guess I was referring to the traditional sense.

Me too!

3 months 6 days ago #651258 by ThatNikonGuy
55mm to 85mm if you want my 2 cents.  

Photo Comments

3 months 5 days ago #651408 by fmw
You can make an effective portrait with any lens.

Photo Comments

3 months 4 days ago #651487 by Liem Stailey
Well I see your point with geometry.  So to simplify the question, if you were leaving your house with one camera and one lens with the intent to head out and shoot portraits.  You don't know what kind of portraits, just that it's a portrait gig.  

What lens would you bring?  

Your camera, is it full frame or crop?

Photo Comments

3 months 4 days ago #651490 by Nikon Shooter
I only use FX cameras and, in the given parameters,
I would take the holy trinity and a flash along.

3 months 4 days ago #651498 by garyrhook

Liem Stailey wrote: Well I see your point with geometry.  So to simplify the question, if you were leaving your house with one camera and one lens with the intent to head out and shoot portraits.  You don't know what kind of portraits, just that it's a portrait gig.  

What lens would you bring?  

Your camera, is it full frame or crop?

Sensor size doesn't change the geometry of a shot (it's impossible to alter the physical parameters of a lens). (It only affects view angle/area. Forcing you to back up. Which, for portraiture, is a good thing in general.

That said, If I'm restricted to a single lens, it's usually my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Covers all the bases.

Two lenses: add an 85 prime.

Photo Comments

3 months 2 days ago #651680 by Garbo
85mm IMO

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 might be a couple of years old now, but as we demonstrate in this Sony a9 review, it is still one of the best cameras in its class, particularly when it comes to its autofocus capabilities.

Oct 08, 2019

The Canon EOS M200 is coming soon, and if you're interested in upgrading from your phone to a traditional camera, this one might just be for you.

Oct 02, 2019

In this Canon EOS 6D Mark II review, learn about this camera's essential specs, features, and pros and cons so you can determine if it's the right camera for you.

Sep 27, 2019

In this iMovR Lander Lite desk review, learn about the build quality, features, durability, and technology that make it one of the best standing desks on the market today.

Sep 27, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

I've had the Haida M10 filter system for about a week now, and first impressions are that it is a high-quality, well-built kit that could very well become my go-to filter kit.

Oct 16, 2019

Screenshot from YouTube video If you're really strapped for cash, we've got the photography job for you: professional pigeon scarer.  There's a...

Oct 16, 2019

The Olympus E-M5 Mark III has been in the works for a long time and is rumored to be released this week. What specs and features can we expect? Find out here!

Oct 15, 2019

If you have a mirrorless camera, there are tons of accessories you can buy. But our list of mirrorless camera accessories narrows it down to a few must-have items.

Oct 15, 2019

Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash The body of an FBI forensic photographer was just found in a national park in Nantahala, North...

Oct 15, 2019

There are many things you can do to improve your income, and these simple photography business tips will give you a pathway to enjoying higher profits.

Oct 14, 2019

Photo by Jared Brashier on Unsplash How would you like to be arrested by a drone? While this isn't possible (yet), some police...

Oct 11, 2019

Photo by Bryan Angelo on Unsplash A shocking report released by Bloomberg found dozens of Amazon workers charged with...

Oct 11, 2019