Mirrorless or DSLR camera for beginner?

4 years 8 months ago #652636 by Chase Sanders
I don't have a camera yet.  Well nothing besides by iPhone at least.  To help point my search in the best direction, which is best for beginner photographers, mirrorless or DSLRs?

*From a learn curve standpoint?

Chase

4 years 8 months ago #652637 by garyrhook
Define "best"?

The best camera is the one you don't want to put down.

The question also involves budget, as your entry point for either system is going to be north of (US) $500.

As a beginner, I would suggest that you use your phone and a RAW app, and learn to manage the exposure triangle first. Then graduate to an interchangeable lens system.

If you have the choice, go to a store and hold different cameras, play with them, see what makes sense and feels good in your hands. Explore the features, figure out what the candidates are, and research those on the web to find out what people think.

In addition, you'll be buying into a system, so you might need to understand how that looks in the future.

There's no simple answer to your question, but for a few $ (if your phone supports it) you can gets started today on learning more.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joao Rodrigues
4 years 8 months ago #652640 by Shadowfixer1
Mirrorless or DSLR doesn't matter. They both generally operate the same way and do the same thing. The big advantage to mirrorless is you see the exposure before you make the image and don't have to wait till afterwards to see the exposure. Size can be smaller with mirrorless. Notice I said can be.
4 years 8 months ago #652643 by Chase Sanders

garyrhook wrote: Define "best"?

The best camera is the one you don't want to put down.

The question also involves budget, as your entry point for either system is going to be north of (US) $500.

As a beginner, I would suggest that you use your phone and a RAW app, and learn to manage the exposure triangle first. Then graduate to an interchangeable lens system.

If you have the choice, go to a store and hold different cameras, play with them, see what makes sense and feels good in your hands. Explore the features, figure out what the candidates are, and research those on the web to find out what people think.

In addition, you'll be buying into a system, so you might need to understand how that looks in the future.

There's no simple answer to your question, but for a few $ (if your phone supports it) you can gets started today on learning more.

Well that's the thing, I feel the phones camera is nice for taking snap shots.  However manual controls are novelty and I don't feel challenged.  So I would like to make a investment into my future. 

4 years 8 months ago #652649 by KCook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Mirrorless or DSLR doesn't matter. They both generally operate the same way and do the same thing. The big advantage to mirrorless is you see the exposure before you make the image and don't have to wait till afterwards to see the exposure. Size can be smaller with mirrorless. Notice I said can be.

Right.  I would add another advantage for mirrorless - AF points can be found spread across almost the entire field of view.  (Which will also be true for "Liveview" mode with a DSLR.)  With a DSLR viewfinder the AF points are concentrated in the center portion of the field.

For a beginner the main DSLR advantage is less expensive lenses.  Many, many photographers have started off with a DSLR, so it certainly can be done.

As has already been posted, go with whichever camera has the most appeal to you.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 7 months ago #656683 by michaelsmith
As everyone is saying it really does not matter much. Both cameras pretty much require training and years of shooting experience before you can call yourself a professional. However if you are just starting out, I would recommend a mirrorless system (I love the EOS R) since these cameras will probably dominate the market in a few years.

4 years 7 months ago #656772 by Ian Stone
Canon EOS R is getting firmware update next month too that should improve autofocus.  

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #656788 by Nikon Shooter

Chase Sanders wrote: *From a learn curve standpoint?

From that point, I don't see much of a difference.

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Mirrorless or DSLR doesn't matter.

I would prefer the DLSR since I know what can be done
and have learned to trust it… and have heavily invested
in the system.

I agree with Randy that it doesn't matter if you're consi-
dering  a system that has the same flange throughout all
the lenses range of a given maker but, if one wants to go
the Nikon way, some points should be investigated since
there may be of some minor consequences in the choice.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #684995 by Nberry1954
Hello, I'm new here. I was researching on which route to take on buying a DSLR or Mirrorless system, and came across this forum and post. I read your answers and they all seem to be about the same. My wife and I are pretty technologically inclined, so complexity isn't really a factor in the long run. We're not looking to become professional photographers, but we would like a good camera for the moments that the phone camera won't suffice. We're mainly taking photos of our infant daughter, so there are a lot of shots where she is moving, walking, etc. My mother gave us her old D40 to use, but we're looking for an upgrade. The AF seems to be a bit slow on the D40, and many photos are blurry. Any advise on which type/model would suit us best would be greatly appreciated. As I mentioned before, from the replies to the OP, it seems that we would be able to choose either, but I was just wondering if anyone had any advise on any specific reason why either would best suit our needs. Our price point would be $400-600 range. Apologies for the long post, and unintentional hijacking of the OP question, if I did. I was trying to avoid duplicating topics. :cheer:

3 years 10 months ago #684997 by KCook
  • infant daughter, so there are a lot of shots where she is moving, walking,
The key here is the light level.  Outdoors in strong light I would expect any camera, including the D40, to be Ok.  If you are taking these shots in a dark room, that is a whole other story.  For low light you could try putting a cheap 50mm f/1.8 prime on your D40.

As for cameras, a general rule with both DSLR and mirrorless is that you can expect better AF with a more expensive (and newer) model.  Some low light advantage to the DSLR, especially at the budget price level.

If you have nice Nikon lenses that you would like to keep using, Nikon now has their mirrorless "Z" series, so no need to leave the Nikon brand.  But these will be over your budget.

If you don't care about sticking with Nikon, and want to try mirrorless, at the price level you gave a used Sony a6300 may have a little edge for low light.

I don't require serious low light performance, just ordered a new Panasonic G85 for myself, still $100 USD above your budget.  Take away a low light requirement and you choices really open up.  Especially for older cameras bought at used prices.  Both DSLR and mirrorless.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 10 months ago #684998 by Nberry1954
Thank you for the quick reply, we may look for the Sony you mentioned. I know the price point is on the low end, I really appreciate you taking that into consideration. You also hit the nail on the head with outdoor shooting, 90% of those taken outside were good quality, just indoors with overhead lights on it was struggling. I'll also look at the Panasonic you mentioned. Price point isn't set in stone, but somewhere in that area would be nice.

3 years 10 months ago #685004 by garyrhook

Nberry1954 wrote: Thank you for the quick reply, we may look for the Sony you mentioned. I know the price point is on the low end, I really appreciate you taking that into consideration. You also hit the nail on the head with outdoor shooting, 90% of those taken outside were good quality, just indoors with overhead lights on it was struggling. I'll also look at the Panasonic you mentioned. Price point isn't set in stone, but somewhere in that area would be nice.

This implies that you are using the camera in auto mode.

Your first challenge, post-purchase, will be to learn enough to get out of auto mode. At least shutter priority so you can ensure sharp images.

So hold on to that note.

You may be technically proficient, but that may imply you have strong preferences. So if you have a choice, you might consider getting to a store to hold your candidates and work with them. Explore the menus. How does the camera feel in your hands (both of you)? You may find that one brand will stand out for you.

Your budget is entry level, but there are offerings from most of the manufacturers in that range. Keep in mind that you're probably buying into a system. So some homework and some effort are encouraged.

Finally, you can buy a camera body without the kit lens, and get a decent lens for it from day one. For example, a Nikon D3500 is on sale right now for $400, and the 50mm f/1.8G lens for $200. A lens that fast will serve you well in low light, offers a typical starting point for many, and is of high image quality. (The only thing you might want someday is an ND filter for shooting in bright light with a wide aperture... but that's the future.)

There are other choices (brands) available that line up with the above.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685008 by KCook
  • Your first challenge, post-purchase, will be to learn enough to get out of auto mode. At least shutter priority so you can ensure sharp images.
Agreed :cheers:

Also, besides exposure settings, there is manual focus to explore.  Try to predict the likely distance of the child for the shot.  Carefully set the lens to that distance.  Then wait for the child to put her/his self at that distance.  Sometimes called zone focusing.  This will work even in extreme darkness.  With skill and luck of course.

And flash can be an absolute game changer.  The brief flash duration provides a super quick "shutter" speed.  And the kit lens will be fine, no need for an extra fast lens.  Doesn't your D40 have built-in flash?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 10 months ago #685009 by Nberry1954
That's correct, we used it in Auto for the first few attempts and then researched a little on how to operate it manually, we're definitely still learning, but we did see an immediate change going manual. I think 6MP is a little restrictive, and an upgrade is needed. We're planning on going to a store this weekend and trying some out. We're both researching tons, but having words from experience is always gold compared to review sites. I appreciate all of you for taking time to reply to the post.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024